X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Is this actually the way they do multiple team tie-breakers in this mickey mouse league, by determining the winner then starting over again with one less until it's down to one? I hope that's not true. On its face, that just seems illocigal.
    A lot of conferences do this. In fact, probably all of them do.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Another free student admission night! I think those at RIT are reading these boards! I'm okay paying for my ticket being a graduate but students should always be free in the student zone!
      R I T HOCKEY
      Frozen Four
      Elite Eight
      NCAA Tournament
      2010-2015-2016
      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

• Originally posted by Rochester View Post
        Another free student admission night! I think those at RIT are reading these boards! I'm okay paying for my ticket being a graduate but students should always be free in the student zone!
        The student free ticket night is tomorrow.

And the five free nights were planned at the start of the season. This message board had no effect on it whatsoever.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          The student free ticket night is tomorrow.

And the five free nights were planned at the start of the season. This message board had no effect on it whatsoever.
          Truth... announced back in June (post, containing link). This was part of the 50th anniversary of RIT moving to the Henrietta campus. Having said that, I am hopeful that RIT does not end this after this year, and establishes this as a new tradition that will occur every season.

Awesome that the free ticket night is tomorrow... I will finally get the chance to experience a packed house up there!!

Cheers!!!
          ~TTF
          Dave
          RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
            Awesome that the free ticket night is tomorrow... I will finally get the chance to experience a packed house up there!!

Cheers!!!
            ~TTF
            Also looking forward to a packed house tomorrow as well. Will be there with my grandson helping to make some noise.
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Hey, we didn't lose the third! Yay!
              RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                Hey, we didn't lose the third! Yay!
                Good News is they got the win, bad news clamping down in the 3rd remains an issue with this team. Tough to win Championships that way...
                Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule
                Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                  Good News is they got the win, bad news clamping down in the 3rd remains an issue with this team. Tough to win Championships that way...
                  RIT is 11-1-0 in AHA play this season when leading after two.

Comment

An RIT win tonight and an Air Force win over Mercyhurst would clinch a first-round bye for RIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      Impressive, but not the most relevant metric, necessarily.

The one loss was two weeks ago, to Holy Cross. Last Saturday, RIT was tied going into the third, so doesn't show up in the "leading after two" stats, but had a lead in the third period that they couldn't hold. And last night is one of the 11 wins in your stat, but it only came after RIT gave up their lead. I think there are others among the 11 where that's the case. The perception could be a case of recentism bias.

So what I would be interested to see is the number of games in which RIT had a third-period lead but later gave up that lead, whether RIT ultimately won, lost, or tied.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        Impressive, but not the most relevant metric, necessarily.

The one loss was two weeks ago, to Holy Cross. Last Saturday, RIT was tied going into the third, so doesn't show up in the "leading after two" stats, but had a lead in the third period that they couldn't hold. And last night is one of the 11 wins in your stat, but it only came after RIT gave up their lead. I think there are others among the 11 where that's the case. The perception could be a case of recentism bias.

So what I would be interested to see is the number of games in which RIT had a third-period lead but later gave up that lead, whether RIT ultimately won, lost, or tied.

Powers &8^]
                        Off the top of my head, all three Sacred Heart losses came after taking a lead early in the 3rd period, so those don't show up in the "after two" stats either. The stat (obviously) doesn't count the two non-conference games that they lost after having a lead after two as well, nor the handful of games they didn't play particularly well with the lead but managed to hold on to win (see the other Sacred Heart game, others). There was a number of games where the other team tied it before RIT scored again as well, as Powers said. Playing with the lead has absolutely been a problem.

Hell, even in those 12 games they've entered the 3rd period with the lead in the conference, they've been outscored 16-8 in the 3rd period (excluding ENG), and that excludes the 3 Sacred Heart games where they blew 3rd period leads as well as the four non-conference games they entered the 3rd leading (and were outscored 6-1 in those 4 3rd periods)

Anyway, here's what was clinched during last night's games (the race for top 4 and byes is officially down to 6 teams):
                        - RIT clinched home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs
                        - Air Force clinched home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs
                        - Sacred Heart clinched home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs
                        - Niagara was eliminated from top 4 and bye contention
                        - Army was eliminated from top 4 and bye contention
                        - Robert Morris was eliminated from top 4 and bye contention
                        - Holy Cross was eliminated from top 4 and bye contention

And here's what Atlantic Hockey teams are playing for tonight, clinching wise:
                        - AIC wins the conference if RIT does not win and Bentley loses
                        - Bentley clinches a bye with a win if Mercyhurst does not win
                        - Bentley is eliminated from title contention with a loss
                        - RIT clinches a bye with a win if Mercyhurst loses
                        - RIT is eliminated from title contention if they do not win
                        - Mercyhurst clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a win
                        - Mercyhurst clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a tie if Holy Cross does not win, Army does not win, OR Niagara loses
                        - Mercyhurst clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a Holy Cross loss or Army loss
                        Last edited by jflory81; 02-23-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Good weekend...would have been great if not for the first 5 minutes tonight. They could have easily given up 3 with all the odd man rushes they were leaking early. I don't think the next 5 minutes was nearly as bad, but Robert Morris got their 2nd on a fluky play and it was an uphill battle from there.

They still control their own destiny for 4th, and the good news is winning out next weekend means they avoid Air Force for sure in the 2nd round too. I want no piece of them, especially in Denver. If we have to play them, let it be as late as possible.

Also, Bentley did indeed clinch a bye tonight, I forgot to transfer over the scenario that had them clinching with a tie (namely a Mercyhurst loss). Air Force has not, since they could lose a 3 way AF/SH/MH tiebreaker in 4th at 30 points. (Mercyhurst would take 4th, then Sacred Heart would take 5th).

EDIT: Oh and if you're wondering, RIT's tiebreakers are terrible. In fact, if they end up tied with a team, they will finish below them in the final standings. They lost season series to Sacred Heart, Mercyhurst, Air Force, and Bentley....AKA the only 4 teams that could end up in a tie with them.

EDIT AGAIN: Actually there is one scenario where a 3rd seeded RIT who won out would have to face a 6th seeded Air Force (for the same reason that they haven't clinched a bye yet), but at least that wouldn't be in Colorado.
                          Last edited by jflory81; 02-23-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                            It's weird that they can be so good by record, and so bad by goals allowed in the 3rd period.
                            RIT

Comment

It's weird that they can be so good by record, and so bad by goals allowed in the 3rd period.
                              That 11-1-0 stat also hides games like the last SHU game where the Tigers took the lead 2 minutes into the third, then gave up two goals. I feel like there been a few games like that this season. Regardless on the figuring of the math I would say if you just ran that state of goals allowed in the 3rd period at me I'd say no way this team is where they are now in the standings. Even though it's mostly worked out, it still not a trend I'd like to see going into the playoffs. Feel like they are playing with fire and the playoffs have a way of finding trends like that and burning you...

Now they did have a nice third and come from behind tie on Saturday. I just like to see them get a lead against Niagara and Canisius and just hold it with no Drama. Can't this grumpy old man get what he wants just once?
                              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule
                              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

It often has felt like the team plays more defensively when they have a lead, and often that gives the opponents more chances, and thus, more goals.
                                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2010 Frozen Four participant
                                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                                X