UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

After UNH game, Sneddon lamented that not enough guys competed, especially the first goal and OT. So who is at fault, the players, or the coaches? In any case, not a good sign. The entitlement of the hockey team, vs basketball for example, is an issue. Personally, I sense it a bit interacting/observing each team at the season holder ticket pickup. The basketball team, which has accomplished so much, are still humble. The hockey team huddles to themselves and are almost affronted that they have to attend the event. Character shows through in games too.

And BTW, other than Lisa, almost no activity on this forum, as opposed to the basketballforum.com for hoops. The program has issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
      And BTW, other than Lisa, almost no activity on this forum, as opposed to the basketballforum.com for hoops. The program has issues.
      The hockey team has sunk it's own ship. There is just so little excitement about the program. Heck, even the new sports complex is ignoring the ice cats... remember when it originally was going to be a new hockey arena for the men and squeaky ball court for men and women... with lack luster seasons the need to increase seating for hockey and Gutterson will simply be renovated. There was a time we went 70+ games sold out with a 8-9 year waiting list for season tickets.

Sneddon has done a lot of damage to the program beyond a few mediocre seasons. He has killed off the fan base and with it a nice new ice arena to support the program for the next 30 years. I seriously think everyone should boycott the games all together. A season of empty seats would get Schulman's attention, and if it didn't it surely would get the University's attention with the budget deficit it would create and then maybe we'd get a new AD and Coach. Better yet, go to the women's games instead.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
        After UNH game, Sneddon lamented that not enough guys competed, especially the first goal and OT. So who is at fault, the players, or the coaches? In any case, not a good sign. The entitlement of the hockey team, vs basketball for example, is an issue. Personally, I sense it a bit interacting/observing each team at the season holder ticket pickup. The basketball team, which has accomplished so much, are still humble. The hockey team huddles to themselves and are almost affronted that they have to attend the event. Character shows through in games too.

There were a lot of people talking about the Brown attendance today and how dire it was (attendance is listed at 519....which is lower than the UVM women's hockey home opener)...I seriously believe that, if the ship isn't righted soon, that could be UVM. Of course Brown also has to deal with a national contender in the same city and being super-close to Boston, but still...

The goodwill from the Michigan game is, as far as most people are concerned, gone after two choke jobs against Quinnipiac and UNH. Quinnipiac looks like at least a decent loss, they look very strong early on, but that UNH game was simply inexcusable.

FWIW: I don't mind going the renovation route instead of a new hockey arena. The Gutt is very beloved in college hockey circles, so I'm fine with making the needed quality of life improvements like having actual seating and improving stuff like the locker and weight rooms.
        https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
        https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
        NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
        Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

It may be time to start looking at Schulman.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            Better yet, go to the women's games instead.
            If nothing else, it's a lot cheaper and is still good hockey. There's a game @Gutterson tomorrow against Northeastern and the Huskies are a really good team.

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Nosmo King View Post
              It may be time to start looking at Schulman.
              Schulman's new, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon. I agree with the thought though--it's time to start looking at anyone connected to this debacle.

Comment

I didn't see the UNH game. The first period of the Brown game made me angry. Short version: Hang out in the defensive end chasing the puck and blocking shots while Lekkas stands on his head making amazing saves. Gain control of the puck and either miss the first pass out of the defensive zone or gain the center line and dump it in to do a whole sale line change. Repeat.

The players are better than this. I really like the team's depth. Players need to have the attitude that you ALWAYS have 10 more strides before you need to go to the bench. Control the puck. Instead of dumping it skate into the offensive zone while the players behind you change. Dumping it in should never be an option.

Comment

I agree with the lack of patience with the puck.
                  Good things happened when a few players DID show patience.
                  I do think we might have a couple of lines who might have defensive liabilities.
                  The sitting of Misley/Vlad might be a result of some of that?
                  Our top line also seems to let up a few too many shot attempts.
                  Maybe the line blender will help things? I know it seems like there was some chemistry but if we never score more than 2 against the likes of UNH and Brown, it will be a long season for Stef.

Go Cats Go!

Comment

Game day!

Also, apologies that I've been slacking on the blog lately...midterms last week and I wound up utterly knackered early this week (and there was also some weird scheduling on the women's side). But I'll be at all four games between the men and women.

Comment

I wonder which team shows up tonight. Hopefully it is not the one that played in the Brown game.

Comment

Local vulpine in angry mood

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                          Local vulpine in angry mood
                          And the Sneddon spiral begins.

Comment

Very fun game to watch and a heartbreaking loss. This must be how Brown felt after their game last weekend.

First 5 minutes were ugly. The rest of the night I thought they played ok The team with the hot goalie wins. And to the casual observer the power play and penalty kill are indistinguishable. Lodermeier needs to be on the ice more

Expect a win tonight

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                              Very fun game to watch and a heartbreaking loss. This must be how Brown felt after their game last weekend.

First 5 minutes were ugly. The rest of the night I thought they played ok The team with the hot goalie wins. And to the casual observer the power play and penalty kill are indistinguishable. Lodermeier needs to be on the ice more

Expect a win tonight
                              Thing of it is both goalies were very good tonight. UVM had the shot generation, but no end product. Basically a similar game to the earlier women's game, just the women executed once (and kept the shutout) and the men didn't

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                                Thing of it is both goalies were very good tonight. UVM had the shot generation, but no end product. Basically a similar game to the earlier women's game, just the women executed once (and kept the shutout) and the men didn't
                                Would like to see the forwards work on shooting the puck quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X