This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

from the Monsignor over at Buckyville....

"I complained about this (Ranta situation) to a good friend of mine who is an Assistant Dean in L&S. She is not in admissions, but she is familiar with the standards. She was a little skeptical. She said that if the guy can speak English, the only way he could have failed the UW standard on the TOEFL was if he essentially could not read English at all. She speculates, without having any knowledge, that something else is involved here.

She has worked with athletes to keep them eligible (even got some kudos from CPC on one of the football players she helped) so she knows what is going on. She also was not surprised that a student who could not get into UW immediately got admitted at Minnesota, especially a hockey player."
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      She also was not surprised that a student who could not get into UW immediately got admitted at Minnesota, especially a hockey player."
      My daughter had the opposite happen - admitted right away to Wisconsin (and also Michigan) but was wait listed at Minnesota. No sports involved...
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        My daughter had the opposite happen - admitted right away to Wisconsin (and also Michigan) but was wait listed at Minnesota. No sports involved...
        Not surprised there is a long waiting list for Tunneling Program @MN. UW and UM not so much.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

"I complained about this (Ranta situation) to a good friend of mine who is an Assistant Dean in L&S. She is not in admissions, but she is familiar with the standards. She was a little skeptical. She said that if the guy can speak English, the only way he could have failed the UW standard on the TOEFL was if he essentially could not read English at all. She speculates, without having any knowledge, that something else is involved here.
          So in other words, the TOEFL issue is purely fake news that gave Sampo the narrative that he could justifiably go to MN in the public eye, when in fact it was a lie and Motzco simply pulled him from UW in the 11th hr, which if true is a total pile a steaming crap. All pure speculation, what other plausible reasons are there? TG needs to tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            TG needs to tell the tale.
            He never will. Not a chance.

This is all part of the business now, and they'll keep these tales inside the family of coaches.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

"
              I'd be interested on her thoughts on the timing...shouldn't all results/admissions criteria have been settled long ago, or does it really come down to the last week like this?

If something else were involved, that could make a little bit more sense - although would the coaches really be so quick to let him transfer if it was something else? I'm generally of the mindset that the student athlete should be allowed to go where they want/transfers be less restrictive - but this would be an example of why maybe they shouldn't be 100% open if they are signing letters of intent and then going elsewhere without ever being on campus. Kids/young adults need to learn there are some consequences to decisions they make.

Comment

Not to put a feather in my cap, but I've been saying here and Buckyville that there MUST be something else going on and I stand by it.

The kid speaks almost perfect English, barely has an accent, and has been in Sioux City for 2 years.

I'm not pointing fingers yet.
                Last edited by MadCityRich; 08-22-2018, 10:55 PM.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Not surprised there is a long waiting list for Tunneling Program @MN. UW and UM not so much.
                  "Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."
                  Last edited by MadCityRich; 08-22-2018, 10:54 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    Not to put a feather in my cap, but I've been saying here and Buckyville that there MUST be something else going on and I stand by it.

The kid speaks almost perfect English, barely has an accent, and has been in Sioux City for 2 years.

I'm not pointing fingers yet.
                    So what other answer is there other than he changed his mind then and asked to be released?

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

So what other answer is there other than he changed his mind then and asked to be released?
                      I really don't think there is any.

At the end of the day, they're all very young people who are trying to make decisions about their future. They get advise from lots of different people and get pulled in various different directions. Who knows if an advisor said to him that he should look somewhere else? Things like that seem a good deal more common and, more often than not, the athlete just wants to play their sport so they can be swayed from one thing to another.

Comment

It was an academic issue per a source.

Couldnt get in to UW and Minnesota has low entrance requirements. Thus the reason they have been referred to for year by UW students as a "Safety School"

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post

Couldnt get in to UW and Minnesota has low entrance requirements. Thus the reason they have been referred to for year by UW students as a "Safety School"
                          Thanks, I'm kind of surprised. I always figured they were close to the UW in that regard, with reciprocity and all (if that is still an option). Not to make a kid play somewhere he doesn't want to, but what ****ing good is an NLI or is it just another form of a verbal committment? What happens if a school pulls out of an NLI?

I check the Minnesota board occasionally and they have been very quiet (dare I say respectful?) regarding Sampo. Except for Rabid Gopher who came here trolling from his mother's basement.

Comment

• Originally posted by herbst20 View Post

How could it be academic this late in the game? How is this suddenly coming to light this late??? There is 0 chance this was unknown until last week.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

If a kid can't get admitted, there is no NLI anymore. If a kid with an NLI gets admitted and wants out, he would have to sit a year before playing for another school. (or get released with permission) A school essentially can't pull out of an NLI agreement, it's a guaranteed deal.

If it was his TOEFL which is what was first reported, and notwithstanding the opinion that it's easy if you speak English, he likely had a score done high enough for UMTC (79) but not high enough for UW (95-105) He could have enrolled in a summer English class and been admitted with a passing score, but he went back to Finland and played on the Finn WJ team this summer instead. He could then have planned on taking the test again after that was finished. Maybe he did and still didn't hit the score, or maybe he declined to retake it upon finding he could go to the goofs. Can't make him retake it and can't admit him without the score. These are two the most likely scenarios that fit and explain the timing.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                How could it be academic this late in the game? How is this suddenly coming to light this late??? There is 0 chance this was unknown until last week.
                                Waiting until UM released Hurley so they had scholarship money for him seems like a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X