This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Ryder Donovan scores the GWG in OT to upset top seed and 4th ranked Andover, sending the Duluth East Greyhounds back to the MN State tourney.

Gotta love players that come up big in big situations.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I seriously cannot wait for next year. It's going to be CRAZY.
      We're going to have to score a schitt load of goals. I'm still waiting to land an elite goaltender.....or 2. We are overdue for a top tier goalie.

I don't have much confidence in the 3 we have, and Grannan (2020?) isn't putting up good numbers.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        We're going to have to score a schitt load of goals. I'm still waiting to land an elite goaltender.....or 2. We are overdue for a top tier goalie.

I don't have much confidence in the 3 we have, and Grannan (2020?) isn't putting up good numbers.
        US U17 Goalies historically have terrible numbers. The U17's are way over matched most of the time and it's a shooting gallery in the nets. A lot of really good goalies have given up 4-5 goals a game for the 17's over the years, so I wouldn't put too much stock in Grannan's numbers. He's still a top talent.

The 17's to the 18's are a good example of how much it means to have a team play well in front of you. As the team develops to competitiveness from one year to the next, the goalies, who looked like dogs as 17's, suddenly produce much better numbers for the 18's.
        Another way to look at it is this: Let's say a very good goalie can stop the puck 60% of the time when he's hung out to dry. So if he's hung out 3 times in a game, he usually is going to get 2 of them for you and give up only one. Awesome job! But hang the same guy out 10 times and now he gives up 4 and is a bum. The team still has to play well in front of you.

I like the Finnish Hammer and think he's improved over the season quite a bit. One thing that stands out and shows he's been working to improve his game is how he catches. Beginning of the year he would stab that glove forward and sweep the puck down to his body. You can get away with that at lower levels when the puck isn't typically coming that fast. But when they start coming in regularly at 100mph, you need to keep that glove up in position longer and not be stabbing at it. It's a little thing, but he's changed that habit and that signals to me he's working hard on details of his game. Plus, I love his compete level. He wants to win. I still feel like he can be a winner here.
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I honesty think Lebedeff is considerably better than his numbers.

I’ve said before and I’ll say again that he just gets left out to dry on the regular by the players in front of him.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I’ve said before and I’ll say again that he just gets left out to dry on the regular by the players in front of him.
            In his last 8 games Matt Jurusik is .944sv% / 1.37ga with 2 shutouts and a 1 goal OT gem vs. #4 MN St.

He's .915/2.21ga on the season compared to his .882/3.7ga in 17 appearances for the Badgers in '16-'17 when nearly everybody was saying he's just an awful goalie. Sure, he is probably better now, but he wasn't awful then.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Yeah, the Hammer will be fine, then Grannan after him. We can't have the PK hanging him out to dry like they are. I'd like to do the math if the PK was a top 20 unit how that would affect his numbers.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Major factors, IMO:
                Defensemen not covering the slot or the back door effectively.
                Poor backchecking.

Minor/Debatable Factors:
                Lack of possession in the offensive zone to ward off pressure.
                Terrible face off performance (see possession)

Do you guys feel like we’re terrible with defending transitions? I know Eaves was always reliable for forechecking, so it’s hard to say if we’re bad at it or if it’s just not a strength. I feel like I notice it, but probably mostly because those moments stand out anyway.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

The schoolboy legend of Ryder Donovan grows a little:

"On Monday, Ryder Donovan left practice after getting sick in the locker room. He’s had the flu all week, and only went to school for about an hour today. He said once the game started, he gutted it out and eventually forgot about it, and scored the game winner. What an effort."
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    The schoolboy legend of Ryder Donovan grows a little:
                    Hope he didn't get the entire team sick; I'm sure you know viruses run rampant in team locker rooms! It's like having a kid at school. Puke one, puke all!

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Cole Caufield just buried his 4th goal of the night vs. the Caps.

I thought it might have been out of reach but with 6 in the last two games he still has a chance to break the NTDP goal scoring record.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

This Tyler Herzberg kid is ****ing good. What's his story? I can't find if he verbally committed anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          In his last 8 games Matt Jurusik is .944sv% / 1.37ga with 2 shutouts and a 1 goal OT gem vs. #4 MN St.

He's .915/2.21ga on the season compared to his .882/3.7ga in 17 appearances for the Badgers in '16-'17 when nearly everybody was saying he's just an awful goalie. Sure, he is probably better now, but he wasn't awful then.
                          Another first time poster here. Been going to games since the 80s (as a small child), but my sweet spot early memory team was the 1992 runner-up team. I think I am one of the few with Friday and Saturday tickets now.

The Jurusik stats show what the problem with goaltending at the UW has been for about 10 years. Think back to the "old days" the system was spacing out goalies by 2 years. As a freshman, they saw about as much playing time as Bloomquist has this year- and they looked awful. Of course part of this was Howie breaking them out of their old system and into his system. As sophomores, they might see a few more games worth of playing time, but usually only 5-10 games. Elliott played in 6 games as a freshman and 9 games as a sophomore. I remember wondering almost every time a goalie graduated how good the next man up would be, but within a few games my mind would be at ease. Then Eaves broke the system because (1) he couldn't get along with Howie, (2) he didn't trust Scott Gundmanson and brought in Bennett as a junior transfer, and (3) Luke Opilka screwed it up even worse. You can see how this plays out with Jurusik too. If he had come in under the old system, he would have been the apprentice for 2 years and come in playing solid his Jr/Sr year.

The progress Lebedeff has shown is reassuring- he competes, his mental lapses have decreased (think the 3 goals in 2 minutes). I think when you put Lebedeff on a team that is actually playing for something his intensity will

Lebedeff may or may not end up the second coming of Brian Elliott, but I don't think that will matter. Score some goals to take off the pressure and so the defense doesn't constantly have to jump in on offense. Play better defense (I'm looking at the forwards allowing people to constantly fly in on the back door) and Lebedeff isn't hung out to dry. Suddenly we have the top goalie in the B1G.

Comment

I know this is just limping the Euros together, but I was thinking of comparing Lebedeff to Bernd Brückler.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindBucky View Post
                              Another first time poster here. Been going to games since the 80s (as a small child), but my sweet spot early memory team was the 1992 runner-up team. I think I am one of the few with Friday and Saturday tickets now.

The Jurusik stats show what the problem with goaltending at the UW has been for about 10 years. Think back to the "old days" the system was spacing out goalies by 2 years. As a freshman, they saw about as much playing time as Bloomquist has this year- and they looked awful. Of course part of this was Howie breaking them out of their old system and into his system. As sophomores, they might see a few more games worth of playing time, but usually only 5-10 games. Elliott played in 6 games as a freshman and 9 games as a sophomore. I remember wondering almost every time a goalie graduated how good the next man up would be, but within a few games my mind would be at ease. Then Eaves broke the system because (1) he couldn't get along with Howie, (2) he didn't trust Scott Gundmanson and brought in Bennett as a junior transfer, and (3) Luke Opilka screwed it up even worse. You can see how this plays out with Jurusik too. If he had come in under the old system, he would have been the apprentice for 2 years and come in playing solid his Jr/Sr year.

The progress Lebedeff has shown is reassuring- he competes, his mental lapses have decreased (think the 3 goals in 2 minutes). I think when you put Lebedeff on a team that is actually playing for something his intensity will

Lebedeff may or may not end up the second coming of Brian Elliott, but I don't think that will matter. Score some goals to take off the pressure and so the defense doesn't constantly have to jump in on offense. Play better defense (I'm looking at the forwards allowing people to constantly fly in on the back door) and Lebedeff isn't hung out to dry. Suddenly we have the top goalie in the B1G.
                              Love the perspective on the goaltending, that's my favorite position. What are your thoughts on UW not having a goalie coach right now?
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Love the perspective on the goaltending, that's my favorite position. What are your thoughts on UW not having a goalie coach right now?
                                I think it is utter BS that Men's Basketball gets 4 coaches for 18 roster players (including the redshirts and end of the bench players). Football gets 11 coaches, which seems like a slightly more realistic ratio. Hockey gets 3 for about 25-30 players.

I don't know that a full-time coach is strictly necessary, but it seems like they should at least be able to pay a 1/4 position to have a consulting goaltending coach. I think it is also likely that coaches would end up servicing multiple teams- kind of like some of the top quarterback gurus- because there are only so many to go around. I get that the NCAA is all about maintaining parity and we don't want to skew things too much so that the low budget programs are priced out of the market. Given that goalie is arguably the most important position in all of team sports, it seem absolutely ridiculous that D1 schools can't even pay a consultant to work with their goaltenders.

Side note- it also makes it all the more ridiculous that MM couldn't get along with Howie.

Comment

Working...
                                X