X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I see the three NTDP players signed. Did Holloway?
    I felt pretty good about the news being correct when a Calgary Sports Management company "liked" my tweet about Holloway being a huge addition 2 minutes after I made it. I assume that's Holloway's advisor.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      When there was only four offers I was still hopeful because I knew they had at least one scholarship that wasn't on the table yet, but learning they offered Vorlicky shoots down my Cam York hopes pretty low. Oh well, a guy's gotta dream.

Vorlicky faded a bit off some prospect lists late last year but Oz is obviously very high on him and his ability to step right into NCAA. He was right about Ess, so I'm going to guess he also knows what he's doing here.

Still in pretty good shape on D with La Master and Patrick Keegan waiting in the wings if there's any departures.
      With Brady Smith gone and Vorlicky signed, we would be at 7 D. Seems like they would need at least one possibly two more if any non senior D leave after this year.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...289ed35a6.html

Spreadsheet updated with Brady Smith de-commit.
        Can you modify with Holloway and Lindmark for 19-20? Glut of forwards and shortage on D is what it looks like to me....

Thanks for keeping the spreadsheet updated.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Can you modify with Holloway and Lindmark for 19-20? Glut of forwards and shortage on D is what it looks like to me....

Thanks for keeping the spreadsheet updated.
          No worries. I think I have it cleaned up again. I had a few mistakes in there that had to be cleaned up, but I think we're good for now. Guessing more changes will come up again though.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

No word on LaMaster, he was a recent addition, wasn't he? He'd be the 8th D.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

With Brady Smith gone and Vorlicky signed, we would be at 7 D. Seems like they would need at least one possibly two more if any non senior D leave after this year.
              Probably, but the way it is right now is that we likely have 6 D on large scholarships, and 2, Bunz and Peltonen, on minimum deals. Vorlicky's offer would seem to make 6 on scholarship for next year. With no departures, they're replacing Jake with someone similar. Patrick Keegan doesn't really fit that bill as he's likely to be drafted, was recruited by MI and several coastie schools, etc. so he fits the replacing a departure spot. LaMaster may be the Jake, but that's a bit unclear as we haven't seen him play at the next level yet. He's been on IR since Sept.1 and I'm not sure where he's at.

Unfortunately we can't put 25 guys on full rides, so there's quite a bit of juggling that needs to take place.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Can someone give me the scoop on Holloway?

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                  Can someone give me the scoop on Holloway?

He's a 2020 Draft eligible player by virtue of the fact that his birthday is late Sept, and the Draft age cutoff is those 18 before Sept 15th. He's 17 now. How high he would go in this year's draft is an interesting question, but certainly many early projections have him as a 1st rounder in the next draft, and it seems his stock is rising. In his draft year he's currently the best NCAA eligible Forward in all of Canada. He's playing Center in the AJHL for the Oktoks Oilers and is leading the AJHL in scoring with 16-22-38 in 23 games played. Keep in mind that AJHL leading scorers are almost always 20 year olds. He's big, strong, (6'+ 192lbs.) fast, can score at will or make a play. Excellent vision, smarts, and physicality. Sky is the limit. I believe Todd mentioned he was the only member of Team Canada not in the CHL at the Hlinka Cup. Which Canada won pretty easily. USA was 4th.

I gather Ranta going to the goofs opened up a spot to accelerate him for next year, rather than wait. He's growing up fast and physically ready but it will likely be a bigger adjustment for him vs. the NTDP guys who will have already played a lot of NCAA games this year. May take him a bit to get going next year, but he's a really, really good player. Everett Silvertips own his WHL rights and they pushed hard to sign him for this season, but he held out. I wonder if he hadn't been able to slot into next year's class if he wouldn't have gone to the CHL next year, so signing him now is a big deal.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    He's a 2020 Draft eligible player by virtue of the fact that his birthday is late Sept, and the Draft age cutoff is those 18 before Sept 15th. He's 17 now. How high he would go in this year's draft is an interesting question, but certainly many early projections have him as a 1st rounder in the next draft, and it seems his stock is rising. In his draft year he's currently the best NCAA eligible Forward in all of Canada. He's playing Center in the AJHL for the Oktoks Oilers and is leading the AJHL in scoring with 16-22-38 in 23 games played. Keep in mind that AJHL leading scorers are almost always 20 year olds. He's big, strong, (6'+ 192lbs.) fast, can score at will or make a play. Excellent vision, smarts, and physicality. Sky is the limit. I believe Todd mentioned he was the only member of Team Canada not in the CHL at the Hlinka Cup. Which Canada won pretty easily. USA was 4th.

I gather Ranta going to the goofs opened up a spot to accelerate him for next year, rather than wait. He's growing up fast and physically ready but it will likely be a bigger adjustment for him vs. the NTDP guys who will have already played a lot of NCAA games this year. May take him a bit to get going next year, but he's a really, really good player. Everett Silvertips own his WHL rights and they pushed hard to sign him for this season, but he held out. I wonder if he hadn't been able to slot into next year's class if he wouldn't have gone to the CHL next year, so signing him now is a big deal.
                    Appreciate the info! Do you think we see a line of Holloway-Turcotte-Caufield next year? Seems like it has really high scoring potential.

Could the Ranta rejection turn into a positive? Looking forward to find out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Probably, but the way it is right now is that we likely have 6 D on large scholarships, and 2, Bunz and Peltonen, on minimum deals. Vorlicky's offer would seem to make 6 on scholarship for next year. With no departures, they're replacing Jake with someone similar. Patrick Keegan doesn't really fit that bill as he's likely to be drafted, was recruited by MI and several coastie schools, etc. so he fits the replacing a departure spot. LaMaster may be the Jake, but that's a bit unclear as we haven't seen him play at the next level yet. He's been on IR since Sept.1 and I'm not sure where he's at.

Unfortunately we can't put 25 guys on full rides, so there's quite a bit of juggling that needs to take place.
                      Hockey scholarship money doesn't necessarily work like that. Guys may get 30%, 50% or 70%. It's not like there is only full scholarships or books scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                        Appreciate the info! Do you think we see a line of Holloway-Turcotte-Caufield next year? Seems like it has really high scoring potential.
                        Maybe Linus fits better in that line. I don't know, I haven't thought a lot about how these stars would fit together yet. Holloway is a center although he could certainly play anywhere. I haven't watched him play a whole lot, I've seen Turcotte much more and my take is Tucotte is a #1 center pretty much anywhere. He's just really impressive at everything he does. I think what's most interesting is if Baker could wind up a 3 or 4 center next year. If so, that bodes well for the Badgers. First, Mersch and Messner are working hard too, but consider Frederic was a third line C at the NTDP and Lindmark is the third line C right now. Lindy is probably a better skater but obviously doesn't have Freddy's size or strength, and doesn't have that huge shot Freddy has. He is however a skilled, hard working, meat and potatoes 2 way guy that is offensively very capable. He has perhaps been overshadowed a bit by some of the the super scoring stars, but I really like the way he plays and skates and he could potentially break out playing in Tony's system. In any case, the competition for certain spots could be brutal next year, which is excellent for the Badgers.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                          Hockey scholarship money doesn't necessarily work like that. Guys may get 30%, 50% or 70%. It's not like there is only full scholarships or books scholarships.
                          Yes, I'm aware, that's why I said "large" scholarships vs. saying full ride or something similar. I could have been more clear though, thanks. It's all guess work. I have no real idea how much Tischke is getting vs. Freytag for example. Nobody really knows. I'm just guessing Vorlicky is getting a good chunk and Keegan would rate a good chunk (if he came) and Peltonen isn't and the 8th D wouldn't either.

I believe everybody is getting something, though.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

I don't even recall Smith. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall, or there was a discussion with the coaching staff.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              I don't even recall Smith. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall, or there was a discussion with the coaching staff.
                              Must have been. He had a verbal with the team when he was 14, and I think was very highly thought of at the time.

Hope that he gets a good opportunity somewhere else.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Holloway did sign his NLoI.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X