X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Without looking at their hometowns, proximity to home perhaps?
    That could be, I haven't gone too deep into the information.

If proximity to hometowns is the issue, then one would have to ask the followup question of 'Why is the USNTDP pulling so many kids from one area?'.
    Maybe it can go back to a certain youth team hiring a coach 10 years ago, then that coach moved somewhere else and the assistants took over and then something else happened and now there is a pipeline of someone at the US program with connections to several of the local youth teams...kind of a butterfly effect.

I'm not sure what the driver of the pattern is and I do not have time to get too deep into the weeds on it. Just thought it was an interesting trend worth noting.

Comment

BC and BU have always dominated the top East coast players which would usually include some number of NTDP players. When David Quinn was hired at BU (first as an assistant that helped recruit the Terriers 2009 NCAA champions, after which he left, then returned again in 2013 as HC) he expanded BU's recruiting efforts and increased the number of NTDP players BU went after and landed from across the country. We'll see, but it's possible the departure of Quinn may slow down BU's dominance of NTDP players in the near future, and the fact that he took long time BC assistant and top recruiter Greg Brown with him to the NY Rangers may slow BC a bit. Cam York is already a BC casualty.

Hockey is a small world and Quinn worked at USA Hockey in development when Mike Eaves was coaching there. Later Quinn joined long time Badger assistant, HC Mike Kemp at UNO, where he also spent time on staff with former Badger Captain, Steve Rohlik, who after a long assistant stint at UMD, joined newly minted HC Mark Osiecki at OSU in 2011. Now Oz is back at UW and Rohlik's at OSU and we play this week!
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Milewski reporting Turcotte, Lindmark and Caufield expected to sign NLI's -- PLUS -- Dylan Holloway said he will sign today.

Holloway, although a late '01 and not eligible for the draft until 2020, makes the 3rd projected 1st rounder in this class:

So that's 4 guys and we're pretty sure they have a little money left for more. I'm still after York. If anybody in NCAA can land him, one would think Oz would be a guy that potentially could. Let's go Oz!
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          Milewski reporting Turcotte, Lindmark and Caufield expected to sign NLI's -- PLUS -- Dylan Holloway said he will sign today.

Holloway, although a late '01 and not eligible for the draft until 2020, makes the 3rd projected 1st rounder in this class:

So that's 4 guys and we're pretty sure they have a little money left for more. I'm still after York. If anybody in NCAA can land him, one would think Oz would be a guy that potentially could. Let's go Oz!
          Not unexpected, but still nice! BUT , and that's a big but......NLI's don't mean **** anymore. As I say now, come talk me me when those boys are suited up!
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

So no....Stevens, De Saint Phalle, Almquist, Bohlin, Peltonen, Smith, LaMaster or Vorlicky?
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              So no....Stevens, De Saint Phalle, Almquist, Bohlin, Peltonen, Smith, LaMaster or Vorlicky?
              very fair question Tim. "A little money" for 8 guys seems unfathomable.

From the spreadsheet

Forwards:
              ! - Sam Stevens
              ! - Matt De Saint Phalle
              ! - Ben Almquist
              ! - Josh Bohlin
              ! - Aleksi Peltonen

Defense:
              * - Brady Smith
              ! - Luke LaMaster
              ! - Michael Vorlicky
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

To be fair, the tweet from Milewski said "at least four commits" and then listed out Holloway, Caufield, Turcotte, Linkmark. There are possibly/probably others, but it seemed like he was just mentioning ones he knew for sure that were high-profile.

When asked about other players, specifically any D, he indicated that there may be some that sign now or some that sign later.

Such is the beauty/agony of the multi-window approach for NLI signing.
                Last edited by KaMiGo; 11-14-2018, 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

With these 4 signing we're at 14 forwards. So yes, probably one or two more, but it seems to me that all those F's could ideally use another year of juniors and then come in grown up and ready like Baker or even Mersch. At the least you probably want to see how this year goes and who develops. De Saint Phalle was just traded to the Chicago Steel last week, and I feel like the Steel maybe paid up for him. I don't know if that signals anything or not as De Saint Phalle is probably a good fit in Chicago even if it's for just this year. But it's possible they paid up because they think he'll be back next year.

I think Aleksi Peltonen will be done with Junior eligibility after this year, if that's correct, then he has to come in next year if at all, but he's going to be more of a preferred walk on kind of deal if he does. That would make 15 F's with him. Keeping some of these guys developing in the pipeline is also still significant because Turcotte, Caufield, and Holloway could all be one and done and you don't want to be caught short.

On D, who do you sign now? Brady Smith is still 18 and doesn't appear ready. LaMaster has yet to play a USHL game this year as he's been injured, so who really knows how that is going to go? Vorlicky did fine in the Midwest elite league, but he's going to play at Edina this year. There's no reason he has to rush in straight out of HS next fall. He could, the staff certainly likes him enough.

There's going to be some decommits, some opportunities to add guys, some shake ups around the country soon. If you can sign a York you absolutely do it, but beyond that I think D could benefit from waiting it out a bit if they possibly can.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                    Such is the beauty/agony of the multi-window approach for NLI signing.
                    I don't think it's multi-window anymore. I believe the signing period is now open straight through until next August.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I don't think it's multi-window anymore. I believe the signing period is now open straight through until next August.
                      College Hockey Inc says this in the NLI Q&A

Q: When can I sign an NLI?
                      A: You may only sign an NLI during a designated signing period. For hockey players entering school in the fall of 2018, the signing periods are Nov. 8-15, 2017, and April 11-August 1, 2018.

It was obviously from last year. Unless they changed it for this year, it looks like the early signing period in November and then the regular signing period in the spring/summer.

And as I dig deeper it looks like they may have changed it starting this year.

The NLI website only lists early windows for Basketball and Football. I guess Ice Hockey would fall into the "All Other Sports" category with a period of Nov - Aug.

Looks like you learn something new every day...
                      Last edited by KaMiGo; 11-14-2018, 05:21 PM. Reason: research

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                        The NLI website only lists early windows for Basketball and Football. I guess Ice Hockey would fall into the "All Other Sports" category with a period of Nov - Aug.

Looks like you learn something new every day...
                        I don't like that, it means recruiting literally never ends until school starts if you don't sign the LOI. If the player doesn't sign right away, maybe the player is shopping too for a better deal, so it might go both ways. Obviously UW was sure to nail down the 4 big dogs, which is awesome, but I don't like the uncertainty of the balance of the players who don't sign now.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I see the three NTDP players signed. Did Holloway?
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...289ed35a6.html

Spreadsheet updated with Brady Smith de-commit.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              I see the three NTDP players signed. Did Holloway?
                              Those three plus Holloway and Vorlicky plan to sign this week.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                                Those three plus Holloway and Vorlicky plan to sign this week.
                                When there was only four offers I was still hopeful because I knew they had at least one scholarship that wasn't on the table yet, but learning they offered Vorlicky shoots down my Cam York hopes pretty low. Oh well, a guy's gotta dream.

Vorlicky faded a bit off some prospect lists late last year but Oz is obviously very high on him and his ability to step right into NCAA. He was right about Ess, so I'm going to guess he also knows what he's doing here.

Still in pretty good shape on D with La Master and Patrick Keegan waiting in the wings if there's any departures.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X