Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Winner winner chicken dinner.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

The Nooks drop the Friday night game 1-2 to MTU

The good news...we did not play a very good game (give some credit to MTU) but kept it close, and the winning goal was on a marginal 5 minute major. That's the breaks.

The bad news...we have an offense designed to get few shots on goal (we overpass all the frigging time and hardly ever dump and crash the net as the play breaks down). We have a defense designed to give up a lot a lot of shots (not necessarily good ones), and count on someone to clear the puck/rebound. When playing the better teams in the conference we just pass it around until they take it away, which doesn't take that long. We don't get as many pucks on net as we should. We don’t work hard enough for rebound goals.

I look for a much better effort tomorrow.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

The good news...we did not play a very good game (give some credit to MTU) but kept it close, and the winning goal was on a marginal 5 minute major. That's the breaks.

The bad news...we have an offense designed to get few shots on goal (we overpass all the frigging time and hardly ever dump and crash the net as the play breaks down). We have a defense designed to give up a lot a lot of shots (not necessarily good ones), and count on someone to clear the puck/rebound. When playing the better teams in the conference we just pass it around until they take it away, which doesn't take that long. We don't get as many pucks on net as we should. We don’t work hard enough for rebound goals.

I look for a much better effort tomorrow.

Go Nooks!
        I only watched the 3rd period, but I thought the Nanooks looked solid. It was a fast paced period. Good luck tomorrow!
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          I only watched the 3rd period, but I thought the Nanooks looked solid. It was a fast paced period. Good luck tomorrow!
          Agreed. They play hard. They'll be a tough out for almost anybody. But they need to know who they are. They aren't going to out-skate and puck handle around everybody. Take a page from the Bob Daniels play book...don't waste time cycling, get the puck on net from any angle and trust one of two of your teammates will be there crashing for a rebound.

Comment

Alaska really turned up the heat to start the 3rd period. Grigals was tough. Friday was a commemorative game for Tech, it will be interesting to see if they come out with the same jump tonight.

Comment

The good news...we did not play a very good game
              I like good news

Me thinks..... Kid coach's play book is missing the one page to the puzzle you need for that style of play. You have to recruit Brobdingnagian Goaltenders. or that crap ain't going to work out......just sayin
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

The college hockey landscape is an interesting place. UMass has been down in the hockey east cellar for years, now they're 11-1 and considered one of the best teams in the country. 5-29-2 in 2016-17, 17-20-2 in 2017-18, and 11-1-0 thus far for 2018-19. Meanwhile, Boston College has been the perennial powerhouse of that conference for years, and have won, or tied for the conference title the last 3 seasons. They're 3-6-1 right now.

It's a long season, and change takes time.

While our second trip of 2018 to Houghton didnt have the results for the Nanooks I was hoping for, we still had tons of fun with some awesome friends white we were there. Even turned one into a Nanook fan for a night!
                Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                  Even turned one into a Nanook fan for a night!
                  I enjoyed being a 'Nook fan...although I chose the worse of the two nights to be a fan.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    I enjoyed being a 'Nook fan...although I chose the worse of the two nights to be a fan.
                    As it turned out... Hope it wasnt the last time!
                    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Congrats on the win last night. I watched on flo. That OT goal was sweet!
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Nanooks with the sweep!! Big 6-2 win tonight while being outshot in the process. Special teams was improved this week, though we still seem to play best at 5 on 5. Two for eight on the power play tonight, plus one a second after Ferris returned to full strength. The downside was giving up a power play goal each night along with a short handed goal in this game. Though the penalty kill sure did its job in the second period with almost 6 straight minutes of at least one Nanook in the box. It would be great to go into the break with four wins in a row, looking forward to the games with Lake State after taking five of six points a few weeks ago. Hoping that the injury to Leer is not serious!

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
                          Nanooks with the sweep!! Big 6-2 win tonight while being outshot in the process. Special teams was improved this week, though we still seem to play best at 5 on 5. Two for eight on the power play tonight, plus one a second after Ferris returned to full strength. The downside was giving up a power play goal each night along with a short handed goal in this game. Though the penalty kill sure did its job in the second period with almost 6 straight minutes of at least one Nanook in the box. It would be great to go into the break with four wins in a row, looking forward to the games with Lake State after taking five of six points a few weeks ago. Hoping that the injury to Leer is not serious!
                          What happened to Leer? I was watching the game, but they didn't show a replay of what happened to him. Looked like a knee or a leg by the way he was helped off the ice. Didn't really see anything at the time that looked like it would cause an injury of that degree.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            What happened to Leer? I was watching the game, but they didn't show a replay of what happened to him. Looked like a knee or a leg by the way he was helped off the ice. Didn't really see anything at the time that looked like it would cause an injury of that degree.
                            Heard that his skate caught the ice behind him, twisting his knee as he was trying to stop and then he went down on it.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
                              Heard that his skate caught the ice behind him, twisting his knee as he was trying to stop and then he went down on it.
                              Hopefully it's sprained and nothing is torn. Didn't look good as he was carried off the ice. Leer would be a big loss for us.

Comment

Nice recognition for the Nooks after a strong weekend!

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...eek-Alaska.php

Comment

Working...
                                X