Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Drury makes World Junior prelim team, Reilly Walsh does not even though he made prelim team last year.

Comment

Hi guys. First, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all. Hope you have a great rest of the year.

Second, I just noticed that Yale has cancelled their game against the Chinese team that I believe we're supposed to play on Sunday the 30th. Does anyone have any information regarding our plans to play them? Apparently, according to Yale, the visitors could not field a representative team whatever that means. If this is true, would Harvard still play the game? I was planning to go but now I'm not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Never mind. I just checked GoCrimson and we are playing Concordia. My bad for not checking first.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          Never mind. I just checked GoCrimson and we are playing Concordia. My bad for not checking first.

I am wondering if China pulled out due to the arrest in Canada of the daughter of the Chinese billionaire who owns Huawei. The Chinese responded by arresting a former Canadian diplomat and a Canadian businessman who were in China. China is a bit of an oligarchy and doesn't like people bothering their billionaires.

The Concordia Stingers are 9-6-0 in their league games this year
          Last edited by Veritas; 12-20-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Hello Harvard peeps. I'm still on the fence about heading to Bright tomorrow for BU's game there. Given that schools are on break, I'm hoping there won't be any issues with walk up ticket sales should I decide tomorrow I want to go. Thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Hello Harvard peeps. I'm still on the fence about heading to Bright tomorrow for BU's game there. Given that schools are on break, I'm hoping there won't be any issues with walk up ticket sales should I decide tomorrow I want to go. Thoughts??
              There is little likelihood of a sellout
              You can call the ticket office and tickets will be held at the window.

Comment

Weekend Preview: Dartmouth/Harvard

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...thharvard.html
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Ok game last night. Harvard played ok, and probably deserved better, but this team still lacks the horses to really have an impact in March / April.

A couple of observations:
                  - This is a team based on skill and speed and so I have no idea why Harvard plays so much dump n chase hockey. Makes no sense.
                  - For all of Reilly Walsh positives on the PP, he really needs to work on his defense. He is so lax in how own end and the careless turnovers are a killer. Should be a huge focus of his in the offseason
                  - Badini earlier in the year and now Drury. Harvard really is a 2 line team, so whomever is not on the top two lines is really not set up for success
                  - Lackey has really stepped up his game, but still plays too deep in the crease and gives up too many goals that a goalie of his size should not give up if he is positioned properly to take up more of the net

Not expecting much in Quinnipiac tonight, but perhaps the team will surprise us.

Comment

Michael Lackey put the team on his back and won that game for Harvard. Throughout the game, Harvard carelessness with the puck (not getting puck deep, not getting pick out of zone, etc) put Lackey into all sorts of unnecessary situations, and he rose above.

Let’s see if Harvard can build on this win as it heads to Colgate and Cornell next weekend.

Comment

Some thoughts on the season so far echoing a few of Bothman's comments:

1. This has been in some respects a strange and confusing season. We've beaten three top 20 teams, two on the road yet we struggle to beat RPI and Bentley and are winless against Princeton.

2. The D so far this season has been underwhelming, in particular Reilly Walsh. I spoke to a friend who is a former pro and has a connection to the Devils and he told me that they wanted Walsh to work on playing better and sharper in his own end. They felt that was an Achilles heel in his game. Looks like they are right.

3. The power play for the most part has been gold all season yet 5 on 5, we struggle to score. Line combos and chemistry have been a factor. Other than the Drury line, the others just aren't clicking.

4. Lackey had a shaky start to the season but has come around recently and I'm hoping that last night's game portends for a better second half. I keep reminding myself that the kid had a serious knee injury that kept him on the shelf for two years so he may just be finding his form at this time. Let's hope so.

5. I'm of the mindset that this is a transition year for the Crimson. Sure we have an experienced D but really, we have no go-to forwards that you count on game in and game out. The lines haven't gelled and at this point, I'm not sure that more experimentation will help. Hope I'm wrong.

6. The coaches get a C for their efforts so far. Recruiting hasn't really been the issue. In game management and strategy have been lacking. And count me as someone that is sorry Paul Pearl left for BU.

Oh well, on to Colgate and Cornell. Let's spoil the Red's weekend by taking two from them.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        Ok game last night. Harvard played ok, and probably deserved better, but this team still lacks the horses to really have an impact in March / April.

A couple of observations:
                        - This is a team based on skill and speed and so I have no idea why Harvard plays so much dump n chase hockey. Makes no sense.
                        - For all of Reilly Walsh positives on the PP, he really needs to work on his defense. He is so lax in how own end and the careless turnovers are a killer. Should be a huge focus of his in the offseason
                        - Badini earlier in the year and now Drury. Harvard really is a 2 line team, so whomever is not on the top two lines is really not set up for success
                        - Lackey has really stepped up his game, but still plays too deep in the crease and gives up too many goals that a goalie of his size should not give up if he is positioned properly to take up more of the net

Not expecting much in Quinnipiac tonight, but perhaps the team will surprise us.
                        The dump n chase is from Teddy's days in the pros. In the 90's that was the only way to beat a team like the Devils with their stranglehold on the D zone or the Red Wings with their neutral zone trap. I wish the coaching staff would adjust and get more creative with in game strategy. It is sorely lacking with this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          The dump n chase is from Teddy's days in the pros. In the 90's that was the only way to beat a team like the Devils with their stranglehold on the D zone or the Red Wings with their neutral zone trap. I wish the coaching staff would adjust and get more creative with in game strategy. It is sorely lacking with this team.
                          A perfect example of poor coaching strategy was at the end of the game, with two faceoffs in our own zone in the last 30 seconds. With the game on the line, he had the guy with 45% faceoff stat at center instead of the guy with 70%. It defies logic. Very hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                            A perfect example of poor coaching strategy was at the end of the game, with two faceoffs in our own zone in the last 30 seconds. With the game on the line, he had the guy with 45% faceoff stat at center instead of the guy with 70%. It defies logic. Very hard to watch.
                            Yes. I assumed someone had gotten tossed and that was why Gossage was taking face off with 11 seconds left. Should have mixed lines and had Badini and Drury (best faceoff guys) out there in case one gets tossed and then perhaps Gossage on the wing to block a shot given his size.

Throughout the Quinny game, just little things. Badini not getting the puck deep and instead, a Quinny backchecker strips him and Quinny goes other way not allowing Harvard to make needed line change late in 3rd. Gossage not getting puck out of zone late in 3rd by playing it off the boards and instead goes for cute play and Quinny keeps it in the zone.

Quinny is a good team, but more talented teams will take those miscues and put them in the back of the Harvard net.

This is a transition year and this is a very young group of forwards. But a lot of high end guys coming in next year, even though we lost Marshall Warren to BC:
                            Defense - Henry Thrun (USNDT), Jace Foskey (very physical, hard to play D from USHL),
                            Offense - Nick Abruzeese (leading USHL in scoring), Sean Farrell (USNDT), John Farinacci (top forward in prep hockey, though been hurt much of this season)
                            Goalie - Mitchell Gibson (struggled in beginning of year, but really finding his game in USHL)

Unclear whether Ryan Siedem (high end D from USHL) and Austin Wong (gritty and skilled center out of AJHL - think Steve Martins) come next year or the following. Next year, Harvard will really be a 4 line team with a lot of forwards who can score. Harvard gets little to no production after Top 5 guys this year (Gossage, Dornbach, Drury, Walsh, and Fox) and I think there will be guys who consistently play this year who won't next year unless their games improve in the offseason.

I do expect Fox to leave early and then we lose Floodstrand, Gossage, Olsen, and Baughmann.

Basically, Harvard is trending up and I think should be much better 5v5 next year though the PP will take a hit if no Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                              Harvard gets little to no production after Top 5 guys this year (Gossage, Dornbach, Drury, Walsh, and Fox) and I think there will be guys who consistently play this year who won't next year unless their games improve in the offseason.

I do expect Fox to leave early and then we lose Floodstrand, Gossage, Olsen, and Baughmann.

Basically, Harvard is trending up and I think should be much better 5v5 next year though the PP will take a hit if no Fox.
                              The "Top 5" guys are mostly getting their points on the power play. Our PP is 1st in the country, while our PK is 58th! The even strength Corsi For is 52.3% (% of shots taken vs Opponent) which ranks 18th in the country (which is also where Harvard is Pairwise ranked after Saturday)...

What this means is we are great on the PP, slightly better than average 5:5, and really bad on the PK. I haven't noticed any changes in personnel or coaching strategy on the PK, which would seem like a pretty obvious area for improvement. Also, I don't understand why the forward lines keep getting jumbled around randomly - perhaps that is why there seems to be little chemistry.

Comment

Interesting that every Harvard recruit that committed early (2015) to matriculate to the school in 2019 is no longer committed. Academics can always play a factor here, but:

- Marshall Warren (felt better pasture at BC)
                                - Ryan Doolin, Brad Cocca, and Jon Russell (likely left in search of more playing time). Drkulek (Waterloo) and Abruzzese (Chicago) were late adds and both seen as upgrades relative to these 3 and will likely step right into the starting lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X