X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan wolverines 2018-19

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
    We sure could use the broom tonight.
    imagine a non-converted frown emoji here.

Quinn Hughes is the most exciting player in college hockey. Every time he's on the ice you can expect something amazing to happen.

Unfortunately a great deal of the time it will happen for the other team.
    Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
      Ain't THAT the truth!

I often get the impression he is trying to do it all himself rather than getting his teammates involved.
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

So does anyone think we will ever sweep a weekend?

Last night was at least different than previous Saturdays- where we got behind (as usual) but then tied it back up. And had SO much momentum. Only to not get a goal.... Ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          So does anyone think we will ever sweep a weekend?

Last night was at least different than previous Saturdays- where we got behind (as usual) but then tied it back up. And had SO much momentum. Only to not get a goal.... Ugh.
          Dang Hughes is fun to watch.
          Hope he signs during the off-season.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            Given that's his +- is -5 right now, I suspect that more than one hope the same thing.

If he had last year's +- of +14, so lets say +10 at this point. And even if he scored no more points, I suspect that those 15 goals would have won us quite a few more games....

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              Can't expect the Gopher fan to read back in our thread, but you missed this post:

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
              Quinn Hughes is the most exciting player in college hockey. Every time he's on the ice you can expect something amazing to happen.

Hughes is fun to watch. I get worried when we're trailing and Hughes looks like he's trying to carry the team. As talented as he is, he needs to realize his teammates are talented as well and that the best way to win a team sport is to play as a team.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                Can't expect the Gopher fan to read back in our thread, but you missed this post:

Hughes is fun to watch. I get worried when we're trailing and Hughes looks like he's trying to carry the team. As talented as he is, he needs to realize his teammates are talented as well and that the best way to win a team sport is to play as a team.
                And because he does not seem to realize that, his dreams of a Hobey are grossly unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  And because he does not seem to realize that, his dreams of a Hobey are grossly unrealistic.
                  Those dreams are so unrealistic I'd be surprised he has them. There is a difference between being one of the most exciting players and being one of the best players in a sport.

In other news, I'm going to test out a new strategy for watching Michigan hockey this season. I'm only going to watch the 2nd period. I've determined we are a 2nd period team.
                  I was curious, so I looked up the box scores for 2019. So far this calendar year, Michigan is 4-4, with an overall scoring edge in those 8 games of 24 goals for vs. 23 goals against. In the 2nd period of those games, that scoring edge is 14 goals vs. 6 goals against.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

Those dreams are so unrealistic I'd be surprised he has them. There is a difference between being one of the most exciting players and being one of the best players in a sport.

In other news, I'm going to test out a new strategy for watching Michigan hockey this season. I'm only going to watch the 2nd period. I've determined we are a 2nd period team.
                    I was curious, so I looked up the box scores for 2019. So far this calendar year, Michigan is 4-4, with an overall scoring edge in those 8 games of 24 goals for vs. 23 goals against. In the 2nd period of those games, that scoring edge is 14 goals vs. 6 goals against.
                    He has been nominated. https://www.hobeybaker.com/VFH2019-Quinn-Hughes

And he has alluded to it in interviews as we got close to the season.

Comment

You are correct I didn’t read back too far. Thanks for quoting it.

It was interesting to note he was slapping his stick a lot in the last minute calling for the puck but didn’t really move to create a lane.

Was really fun to watch him and MN’s Sammy Walker when they were on the ice at the same time. Two guys who can fly, are shifty, and with hockey sense off the charts.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Saw on CHN that Jim Hunt passed away at the age of 68. Always enjoyed talking to him, one of the best straight shooters in college hockey. RIP Jim, thanks for making every pressbox or postgame gathering a better place.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Given that's his +- is -5 right now, I suspect that more than one hope the same thing.

If he had last year's +- of +14, so lets say +10 at this point. And even if he scored no more points, I suspect that those 15 goals would have won us quite a few more games....
                          I am more concerned with the negative component of the +/-, his turnovers that lead to goals against.
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

I get worried when we're trailing and Hughes looks like he's trying to carry the team. As talented as he is, he needs to realize his teammates are talented as well and that the best way to win a team sport is to play as a team.
                            I've been saying the same thing, just different wording, for a couple months now. I do not recall that propensity last season.
                            Row 1
                            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                              I am more concerned with the negative component of the +/-, his turnovers that lead to goals against.
                              The delta from last year really shows that problem, IMHO, which is why I put it up. His scoring from a year ago looks to be *barely* up. Which puts a LOT of emphasis on the fact that he's on the ice for a LOT of goals against. And that's a really bad thing for this team.

And my theory is that if it was flipped, or improved (which would be a strong stat for a Hobey candidate), the team would be in a totally different place WRT wins and losses.

So, yea, the stats clearly says that the team is worse off with him on the ice this year vs. last.

It's odd that we were saying the same thing that you are now, last year. Fun to watch, but he needs to work on his turn overs. Instead of getting better, it's gotten worse.

Comment

Looks like we picked up LaFontaine for next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X