• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2018-2019

A former Union standout is on the move.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
      Some thoughts on Union after a lost weekend:

If people think this year hasn't been great, I think the next few are likely to be even worse. Unlike last year, Union's losing quite a bit after this year. They're losing a large senior class that currently includes five of their top 6 scorers. They're losing one of their better defenseman in Greg Campbell, though he wouldn't be classified as such on Union's better teams.

The recruiting pipeline has taken multiple hits. Mike Hardman, perhaps their top recruit, bailed and went to BC. Ben Thomas isn't coming. Vilho Saariluoma de-committed and is going to Bentley. Thomas Lancombe committed in November but then was playing in major juniors a month later, wiping out his NCAA eligibility.

Union hasn't been able to bring in top-end talent in a few years. The last true impact, top of the league player who came in was probably Spencer Foo in 2014. That's five years ago now. Players like Maier, Supinski and Vidmar are good but they aren't game-changers the way Foo, Vecchione, Ciampini, Carr and other offensive guys were in the past. When they came on campus, NHL draftees Jack Adams and Parker Foo seemed like candidates to become top of the league kind of talents. Neither have shown that promise almost halfway through their college careers. Adams led the USHL in goals his last year there. After watching for almost two years, I can't see how.

Kupsky has been largely a bust. With his big NAHL playoff campaign in 2014-15, and then getting drafted, he seemed like potentially Union's next great goalie after Kinkaid, Grosenick and Stevens. Instead, he lost his job in his senior year and could finish his career with a save percentage below 90% in three of the four years.

The defensive corps have fallen quite a bit. Forget Bodie and Ghost. Outside of maybe Kolias, Union has largely struggled to bring in guys like Jeff Taylor and Nick DeSimone the last few years. Most of the current D corps are below rock solid guys from past like Julseth-White, Stuart, Coburn, Matheson.

Facility wise, the program has fallen farther behind. Colgate has a new rink. Clarkson's putting money into Cheel. St. Lawrence is putting $17M into Appleton, a greater sum than Union wants to put into Messa Rink. Let's face it - while Messa has its charms, the facility is woefully inadequate for two Division I teams. Recruits and their families undoubtedly notice this. There has been very little publicaly said about the renovation since a video was put out 15 months ago that lacked much in the way of what might be done.

The program hasn't sustained momentum from the national championship. Barring a miracle, they'll miss the NCAA tournament for the fourth time in five years since the national title. And the one time they did make it, they gave up 10 goals. While you can't expect national titles every year, especially at an ECAC school, you'd have liked to see the program go more than 1-for-5 in return trips to the dance to follow up 2014. The national title didn't do much to sustain or even boost the program.

Though this year probably dinged his resume some, it might be a good time for Bennett to move on if someone comes calling. The program seems likely to struggle for a few years, at least.
      Are you sure Ben Thomas is not committed anymore? According to Collegehockeyinc.com and the Powell River Kings website, he is listed as coming to Union next year.

Also, does anyone know what happened to Blake Hayward? I thought he looked very impressive in his short stint. Is he injured or coaching decision?
      Union College Hockey
      2014 NCAA National Champions
      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
        Are you sure Ben Thomas is not committed anymore? According to Collegehockeyinc.com and the Powell River Kings website, he is listed as coming to Union next year.

Also, does anyone know what happened to Blake Hayward? I thought he looked very impressive in his short stint. Is he injured or coaching decision?
        Go by heisenberg. Thomas is a decommit.
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post

The BCHL website and Elite Prospects website show no information about Ben Thomas being committed...anywhere. College Hockey Inc. still shows him as committed to Union

I have heard that one of the goalies committed for next year (Nieto) has only played a few games this year. Is he injured?

Does anyone know anything about any of the others committed for next year? Is there someone out there who is tracking their performance? I don't have those skills or the time but I have seen some excellent work done on some of the other teams by some dedicated followers?

Comment

Jeff Cox reported on Thomas in early January.

Nieto was injured for awhile but recently returned to action.

The best thing you can do to track recruits is see who is committed and check box scores, league stat pages.

Comment

IMO a very strange year.
              IMO this team/year does not have the look and feel of a Bennett team
              IMO this team is underperforming to expectations
              IMO the loss of commits is unprecedented
              What has changed? A new administration?
              What is going on?
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                IMO a very strange year.
                IMO this team/year does not have the look and feel of a Bennett team
                IMO this team is underperforming to expectations
                IMO the loss of commits is unprecedented
                What has changed? A new administration?
                What is going on?
                Did you think that maybe Bennett is being exposed? Perhaps the success you saw was just the shadows of what Leaman left?

Comment

It appears Matt Allen verbally committed to Providence and then he ultimately committed to Union. I’m sure the recruiting process goes both ways for Union and other schools where players commit and de-commit.

Like many other fans, it has been a very frustrating and inconsistent year. Hopefully our senior class steps up for this weekend and beyond. It’d be nice to see Vidmar and Supiniski put some pucks in the back of the net as they haven’t been lightning the lamp enough this year IMO.
                  Last edited by UnionFan4Life; 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM.
                  Union College Hockey
                  2014 NCAA National Champions
                  2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                    Jeff Cox reported on Thomas in early January.

Nieto was injured for awhile but recently returned to action.

The best thing you can do to track recruits is see who is committed and check box scores, league stat pages.
                    ....you sure about Nieto. I don’t think he’s played since 10/5/18. He was recently released by Janesville & if IRRC he will miss all of 19/20.
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      ....you sure about Nieto. I don’t think he’s played since 10/5/18. He was recently released by Janesville & if IRRC he will miss all of 19/20.
                      Maybe I was wrong. I had seen this, dated 2/9/19: https://www.juniorhockey.com/news/ne...?news_id=93593

Janesville 2 @ Chippewa 1 (OT) - Matt Hanewall’s goal in overtime lifted the Janesville Jets to a 2-1 overtime win over the Chippewa Steel. Erik Bargholtz scored the only goal in regulation for the Jets. Sean Driscoll and Nick Gonrowski had the assists on Bargoltz’s goal.. Garrett Nieto, playing in his first game since October, made 26 saves on 27 shots. Killian Kiecker-Olson netted the long goal for Chippewa. Josh Langford stopped 37 of 39 for the Steel.
                      Maybe that article was wrong. That's all I was basing it off of.
                      Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 02-27-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                        Maybe I was wrong. I had seen this, dated 2/9/19: https://www.juniorhockey.com/news/ne...?news_id=93593

Maybe that article was wrong. That's all I was basing it off of.
                        It appears to be wrong.
                        He is not the goalie listed in the box score https://nahl.com/game-center/#/game-summary/23450.
                        He has not played since 10/5/18 https://nahl.com/game-center/#/playe.../garrett-nieto.

As usual change https to http.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I don't have a good feeling about this weekend ...
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

former PSU commit
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wow....could have been a brutal tie but turns into a big OT win !
                              This team is just completely whacked out
                              Take the 2 points and run......
                              Bring on the Crimson for Senior Night

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                I don't have a good feeling about this weekend ...
                                Well, I had a pretty good feeling with about 2 minutes to go...

These guys are the most enigmatic team I’ve ever seen.

At least we’ll be in Schenectady next weekend.
                                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X