https://***********/QHockeyBlog
      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Re: Union College: 2018-2019

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        Thoughts and observations from Quinnipiac's 1-1 tie against Union
        https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/20...s-from_16.html
        " - The ice at Messa Rink was really terrible all night. Pucks weren't being controlled like they usually are and they were bouncing over sticks multiple times. Its pretty unacceptable for the ice of a Division I hockey team especially one that has won a national championship in the past five years to be as bad as it was tonight."

Yep, you got that right.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Still at #20 in the pairwise and still at 7th in the ECAC. I firmly believe that our program is where it is because of our outstanding coaches. That being said, our consistently horrible power play and penalty kill is on them. They own it. We could have easily lost to Princeton. How many short handed goals have we give up this year?
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Still at #20 in the pairwise and still at 7th in the ECAC. I firmly believe that our program is where it is because of our outstanding coaches. That being said, our consistently horrible power play and penalty kill is on them. They own it. We could have easily lost to Princeton. How many short handed goals have we give up this year?
            Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            This has been an interesting team. 2 years ago I circled this year as our year to contend, win the league, and make an NCAA run. Last year was a pleasant surprise and I believe they overachieved. They didn't lose much and I figured they should be as successful or likely better this year. But that hasn't happened. And it's very strange to me. Like Dutchmen said I'm not sure how much we have improved throughout the year, compared to the other teams. We seem to have effort and I think in most games we can play 5v5 with anyone. But our special teams stinks and it seems we lack a true finisher like Vecchione, S Foo, Jooris, Carr, etc. I think we get the puck to good positions sometimes, but nobody has the belief to shoot it and when the puck does make it to real scoring positions nobody can actually put the puck in the net. Some of that I believe is a bit lower top end scoring then we have had in the past and some of that may just be poor luck. But either way we need to stop missing the net/putting it in the goalies chest when we have good opportunities if we want to move forward this year.

On the bright side, I think at our best we can play a hockey game from end to end with most teams in the country. Atleast as far as scoring chances and puck possession (again finishing chances is a downfall). Look at the @Harvard game. I think we outplayed them 5v5 (out scored them 3-0 too). I think for most of the game we deserved a win. But we took 4 penalties and had 4 terrible kills (credit their PP also). 8 (or less) bad minutes cost us an otherwise fairly strong 52 minutes. And such seems to be the same for many of our games. RPI at times union, quinnipiac two nights ago, the list goes on: Decent puck control, some good scoring chances but yet no one can finish with any consistency and we give up a few good chances to other teams due to occasional breakdowns and they always seem to finish.

It's a frustrating team. And I think some pieces are there. Just look at plenty of our wins vs good teams. I'm cautiously optimistic that when the games start to count in the playoffs that we can play with anyone. I hope we can be last years Princeton and put everything together at the right time. I believe we can be. I just hope they either get the luck or confidence to start finishing their chances.

And lastly, as far as some folks saying they blame the coaches for not getting this team straightened out, I believe this team would be worse without the strong coaching we have. I think we are extremely lucky to have the staff we have and I have a lot of trust in the recruiting and coaching. I think we are lucky to have this staff and they are always focused on being on being as good as they can be at the end of the year even if that means some occasional bumps in the road along the way. I believe Rick and Jason in particular could be coaching at a lot of different schools or organizations if they wanted to and they are part of the reason Union has maintained such a high level of play after their championship and we are lucky to have them.
            U N I O N
            C O L L E G E
            H O C K E Y

RIP = RPI

#40 Pat Tillman True American Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchmen16 View Post
              This has been an interesting team. 2 years ago I circled this year as our year to contend, win the league, and make an NCAA run. Last year was a pleasant surprise and I believe they overachieved. They didn't lose much and I figured they should be as successful or likely better this year. But that hasn't happened. And it's very strange to me.
              I think that is how a lot of us feel. Two years ago a lot of us were circling this year. This was the year we would have talent and experience to make a run. Sometimes I look at a game and say to myself "That does not look like a Rick Bennett team". At other times, like against Q'pac, where we blocked 25 shots, it does. I can't figure it out.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 02-17-2019, 09:53 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchmen16 View Post
                This has been an interesting team. 2 years ago I circled this year as our year to contend, win the league, and make an NCAA run. Last year was a pleasant surprise and I believe they overachieved. They didn't lose much and I figured they should be as successful or likely better this year. But that hasn't happened. And it's very strange to me. Like Dutchmen said I'm not sure how much we have improved throughout the year, compared to the other teams. We seem to have effort and I think in most games we can play 5v5 with anyone. But our special teams stinks and it seems we lack a true finisher like Vecchione, S Foo, Jooris, Carr, etc. I think we get the puck to good positions sometimes, but nobody has the belief to shoot it and when the puck does make it to real scoring positions nobody can actually put the puck in the net. Some of that I believe is a bit lower top end scoring then we have had in the past and some of that may just be poor luck. But either way we need to stop missing the net/putting it in the goalies chest when we have good opportunities if we want to move forward this year.

On the bright side, I think at our best we can play a hockey game from end to end with most teams in the country. Atleast as far as scoring chances and puck possession (again finishing chances is a downfall). Look at the @Harvard game. I think we outplayed them 5v5 (out scored them 3-0 too). I think for most of the game we deserved a win. But we took 4 penalties and had 4 terrible kills (credit their PP also). 8 (or less) bad minutes cost us an otherwise fairly strong 52 minutes. And such seems to be the same for many of our games. RPI at times union, quinnipiac two nights ago, the list goes on: Decent puck control, some good scoring chances but yet no one can finish with any consistency and we give up a few good chances to other teams due to occasional breakdowns and they always seem to finish.

It's a frustrating team. And I think some pieces are there. Just look at plenty of our wins vs good teams. I'm cautiously optimistic that when the games start to count in the playoffs that we can play with anyone. I hope we can be last years Princeton and put everything together at the right time. I believe we can be. I just hope they either get the luck or confidence to start finishing their chances.

And lastly, as far as some folks saying they blame the coaches for not getting this team straightened out, I believe this team would be worse without the strong coaching we have. I think we are extremely lucky to have the staff we have and I have a lot of trust in the recruiting and coaching. I think we are lucky to have this staff and they are always focused on being on being as good as they can be at the end of the year even if that means some occasional bumps in the road along the way. I believe Rick and Jason in particular could be coaching at a lot of different schools or organizations if they wanted to and they are part of the reason Union has maintained such a high level of play after their championship and we are lucky to have them.

Don't disagree with anything except some of the "and Lastly" part..
                Strong coaching is a good thing Stubborn Coaching is NOT !!
                A non flexible coach can inflict more harm than good..
                Penalty Kill - One style - pack it in - think the other team doesn't know its what they are gonna do?? Just let them stand there and fire away - the penalty killing forwards can take a few dozen
                more point blank slap shots per game
                Power Play - Doesn't work hasn't worked and changes are minimal.. 1 man in front and 4 guys too far away with bad passing and puck control issues - YUP I'm sure it will come around

Comment

Vas Kolias is the best player on Union (not counting Hanson). He's smart , fun to watch and always around the puck. Hanson is on track to become one of Union's "greatest ever." We still need production. The Union "power play" needs to start playing "underneath" instead of just looking for perimeter shots. We do fine "five-on-five". If we want to get to Lake Placid (and beyond) Union needs to improve its power play.

Comment

I hope we don't look past Colgate to Cornell.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

We did. Two loss weekend. The Dutch are an enigma wrapped in stick tape. Coaching issues imho.

Comment

looks like you got out goal tended tonight.

Comment

Another dud for UC. I hope they are at least respectable in the ECAC Playoffs.

Comment

Some thoughts on Union after a lost weekend:

If people think this year hasn't been great, I think the next few are likely to be even worse. Unlike last year, Union's losing quite a bit after this year. They're losing a large senior class that currently includes five of their top 6 scorers. They're losing one of their better defenseman in Greg Campbell, though he wouldn't be classified as such on Union's better teams.

The recruiting pipeline has taken multiple hits. Mike Hardman, perhaps their top recruit, bailed and went to BC. Ben Thomas isn't coming. Vilho Saariluoma de-committed and is going to Bentley. Thomas Lancombe committed in November but then was playing in major juniors a month later, wiping out his NCAA eligibility.

Union hasn't been able to bring in top-end talent in a few years. The last true impact, top of the league player who came in was probably Spencer Foo in 2014. That's five years ago now. Players like Maier, Supinski and Vidmar are good but they aren't game-changers the way Foo, Vecchione, Ciampini, Carr and other offensive guys were in the past. When they came on campus, NHL draftees Jack Adams and Parker Foo seemed like candidates to become top of the league kind of talents. Neither have shown that promise almost halfway through their college careers. Adams led the USHL in goals his last year there. After watching for almost two years, I can't see how.

Kupsky has been largely a bust. With his big NAHL playoff campaign in 2014-15, and then getting drafted, he seemed like potentially Union's next great goalie after Kinkaid, Grosenick and Stevens. Instead, he lost his job in his senior year and could finish his career with a save percentage below 90% in three of the four years.

The defensive corps have fallen quite a bit. Forget Bodie and Ghost. Outside of maybe Kolias, Union has largely struggled to bring in guys like Jeff Taylor and Nick DeSimone the last few years. Most of the current D corps are below rock solid guys from past like Julseth-White, Stuart, Coburn, Matheson.

Facility wise, the program has fallen farther behind. Colgate has a new rink. Clarkson's putting money into Cheel. St. Lawrence is putting $17M into Appleton, a greater sum than Union wants to put into Messa Rink. Let's face it - while Messa has its charms, the facility is woefully inadequate for two Division I teams. Recruits and their families undoubtedly notice this. There has been very little publicaly said about the renovation since a video was put out 15 months ago that lacked much in the way of what might be done.

The program hasn't sustained momentum from the national championship. Barring a miracle, they'll miss the NCAA tournament for the fourth time in five years since the national title. And the one time they did make it, they gave up 10 goals. While you can't expect national titles every year, especially at an ECAC school, you'd have liked to see the program go more than 1-for-5 in return trips to the dance to follow up 2014. The national title didn't do much to sustain or even boost the program.

Though this year probably dinged his resume some, it might be a good time for Bennett to move on if someone comes calling. The program seems likely to struggle for a few years, at least.
                            Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                              Some thoughts on Union after a lost weekend:

If people think this year hasn't been great, I think the next few are likely to be even worse. Unlike last year, Union's losing quite a bit after this year. They're losing a large senior class that currently includes five of their top 6 scorers. They're losing one of their better defenseman in Greg Campbell, though he wouldn't be classified as such on Union's better teams.

The recruiting pipeline has taken multiple hits. Mike Hardman, perhaps their top recruit, bailed and went to BC. Ben Thomas isn't coming. Vilho Saariluoma de-committed and is going to Bentley. Thomas Lancombe committed in November but then was playing in major juniors a month later, wiping out his NCAA eligibility.

Union hasn't been able to bring in top-end talent in a few years. The last true impact, top of the league player who came in was probably Spencer Foo in 2014. That's five years ago now. Players like Maier, Supinski and Vidmar are good but they aren't game-changers the way Foo, Vecchione, Ciampini, Carr and other offensive guys were in the past. When they came on campus, NHL draftees Jack Adams and Parker Foo seemed like candidates to become top of the league kind of talents. Neither have shown that promise almost halfway through their college careers. Adams led the USHL in goals his last year there. After watching for almost two years, I can't see how.

Kupsky has been largely a bust. With his big NAHL playoff campaign in 2014-15, and then getting drafted, he seemed like potentially Union's next great goalie after Kinkaid, Grosenick and Stevens. Instead, he lost his job in his senior year and could finish his career with a save percentage below 90% in three of the four years.

The defensive corps have fallen quite a bit. Forget Bodie and Ghost. Outside of maybe Kolias, Union has largely struggled to bring in guys like Jeff Taylor and Nick DeSimone the last few years. Most of the current D corps are below rock solid guys from past like Julseth-White, Stuart, Coburn, Matheson.

Facility wise, the program has fallen farther behind. Colgate has a new rink. Clarkson's putting money into Cheel. St. Lawrence is putting $17M into Appleton, a greater sum than Union wants to put into Messa Rink. Let's face it - while Messa has its charms, the facility is woefully inadequate for two Division I teams. Recruits and their families undoubtedly notice this. There has been very little publicly said about the renovation since a video was put out 15 months ago that lacked much in the way of what might be done.

The program hasn't sustained momentum from the national championship. Barring a miracle, they'll miss the NCAA tournament for the fourth time in five years since the national title. And the one time they did make it, they gave up 10 goals. While you can't expect national titles every year, especially at an ECAC school, you'd have liked to see the program go more than 1-for-5 in return trips to the dance to follow up 2014. The national title didn't do much to sustain or even boost the program.

Though this year probably dinged his resume some, it might be a good time for Bennett to move on if someone comes calling. The program seems likely to struggle for a few years, at least.
                              Agree with everything you have said. Our NCAA Championship never translated into recruiting success. Going forward if we can make it to .500 over each of the next three years and at the same time rebuild, I would consider that a great success !! We are in for some very hard times. Looking at the huge whole to fill with this years senior class and the terrible prospects for the next few years, I would not be surprised to see Bennett leave. We have no sustainable competitive advantage.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I still believe this team is capable of making a run in the post season.
                                They need to get back on track next weekend with a couple of wins. Home ice in the first round will be a huge plus. The question is who will step up come playoff time.......

Comment

Working...
                                X