X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2018-2019

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      To suggest that "the team does not appear that they really care" is an insult. What does appear is the author's ignorance. These are elite and proud athletes we are talking about. Mojo can be elusive for a team. Expectations are always high for the erstwhile national champions, who have left many scratching their heads this season. This year's edition of Union hockey has frustrated everyone. Sure, expectations have not been met thus far. Maybe they will; maybe they will not. But the essence of team sports begins with caring.
      Bad choice of words on my part. My apologies. What I was trying to communicate was that this team, IMO, is not playing with a level of intensity as subjectively measured by who gets to the open puck first, number of blocked shots, and time spent standing around. What has worried me the most is, IMO, the failure of the team to improve as a team as the year has progressed. While I also believe they care, I don't think they are hungry enough. I hope I am wrong.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

The Dutchmen need to plug the dike this weekend.

Comment

Another loss, although a close one. I was thinking about driving an hour tomorrow to Dartmouth, not so sure now. I don't like seeing losing.

Comment

Not much analsyis needed here. The last thing Union wanted to do was give the country's top PP unit chances to strike.

Harvard had four power plays.... and scored all four times in what turned out to be a 5-3 loss for Union.

Comment

Harvard is really very good. I have seen them play 3 times this year at Bright.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Harvard is really very good. I have seen them play 3 times this year at Bright.
                Well, we're really good on the PP, that's for sure. 5 on 5, that's another matter. We've had 'issues' on D this year. Lackey on the other hand keeps improving which is a good sign.

You guys are a good team. No shame in losing to a team that has the country's best PP. I think you will be a tough out in the playoffs assuming your goaltending holds up. Other than Cornell and Quinny, the ECAC is wide open this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  Well, we're really good on the PP, that's for sure. 5 on 5, that's another matter. We've had 'issues' on D this year. Lackey on the other hand keeps improving which is a good sign.

You guys are a good team. No shame in losing to a team that has the country's best PP. I think you will be a tough out in the playoffs assuming your goaltending holds up. Other than Cornell and Quinny, the ECAC is wide open this year.
                  100% agreed Skate! PP is second to none with all-world Fox QBing it. I am well aware as they torched the BG in the first this year with 5 or 6 PP goals. They get looks that no other team gets with BG, of course, Fox has a lot to do with it. Just being objective here, your backend is very turnover prone I think just like to defend in D zone allowing some "easy" goals. Either you guys are still very good and BG is still looking up at you, culture, talent, standings, etc

Comment

While 'Hope springs eternal in the human breast", and we continue to cheer on our Dutchmen, the reality is that even if we sweep our remaining 6 games, we will most likely not get an ECAC bye. Moreover, its a higher probability that we continue to split weekend play ending with three more wins and end up in the bottom half of the league and out of range for the NCAA unless we win the league tournament.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I was at the game. Green dominated most of the first, 0-0. Lackluster game overall for UC, Green isn't very good. Dutch came together in the third, but unfortunately they aren't going anywhere, still sitting at 20 in the PW.

Comment

Last year from January 1 to the end of regular season play, we were 11-3-1. Princeton handed us two loses in the tournament so for the second half, we ended up 11-5-1.
                        We lost Scarfo, our leading scorer but really a rugged defensive player and two starting defensemen. We returned just about all of our scoring and added some firepower. With all that experience and a large number of seniors, we came out of the box strong. Our record before January 1 this year was 9-4-4 but that included 2 loses to RPI, one loss to Princeton and one loss to Yale. We defeated some very strong NC opponents. Our ties were against weak opponents. We could have easily been 14-2-1.

Since January of 2019 we are 5-5-1. In league play we have dropped to the bottom half of the league. The experience that gave us an edge in the first half is gone as opposing teams are now well integrated. We will not see Qpac freshmen missing coverage assignment letting us make easy goals. Maybe Hanson will not be able to steal a game for us.

Dartmouth was uninspiring. That first goal of ours came off a Dartmouth players stick.

Next year will be rebuilding. Maybe the new freshmen will have something to prove.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by YouSeeAlum View Post
                          I was at the game. Green dominated most of the first, 0-0. Lackluster game overall for UC, Green isn't very good. Dutch came together in the third, but unfortunately they aren't going anywhere, still sitting at 20 in the PW.
                          This late in the year the pairwise is not going to move very much. The exception are the ivy league teams. Because they play fewer games, if they lose a few they will drop like a lead balloon. We saw this with Yale in 2012/2013.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

If Cornell, Clarkson, Harvard and Qpac continue their winning ways, we might be able to squeeze 4 into the NCAAs. That would be, I believe, a first since the ECAC/HE split.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Borrowed from the facebook fan site"

Pride is defined as 1 : a reasonable and justifiable feeling of being worthwhile : self-respect. 2 : a feeling of being better than others. 3 : a sense of pleasure that comes from some act or possession: Parents take pride in their children's progress. 4 : someone or something that makes someone proud. In Boston we are proud of our amazing professional athletic teams who keep winning championships. The Patriots were too proud to be called "over the hill" by some upstart team. The Patriot defense was too proud to be called "weak" so they shutout the second highest scoring team in professional football. When we Dutchmen face a team that has previously "wiped the floor" with us, we should be proud enough to return the favor. I have just not seen this. We lost two in a row against RPI, and then settled for a tie. Brown "wiped the floor" with us in Pittsburgh and then beat us in Schenectady. Where is the pride in this team? Will this team go quietly into the night or scratch and claw their way back into contention? I saw Harvard play Clarkson in Cambridge. 60+ minutes of intense hockey with bone crunching hits by both teams and back and forth. Neither team took a single minute off. No letup. Not a single penalty. Harvard in overtime. While our 2014/2015 team had a losing record, they fought like hell in the playoffs. They had a lot of pride. I just don't think this team has anything to prove to themselves or anyone else. I don't think they are hungry. You cannot coach this into a team. "The King has no clothes". Someone needs to wake this team up. If they want to go quietly into the night that is fine, but that is NOT how the past 10 years of Dutchmen hockey teams have performed. Our hard earned reputation for the past 10 years was that of a team that was ALWAYS very hard to beat. We never quite. What's it going to be?
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union hockey heads to the finish line
                                Only six games left in ECAC regular season
                                By Tim Wilkin Published 5:51 pm EST, Wednesday, February 13, 2019

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...e-13614635.php
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X