Union College: 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2018-2019

The Dutchmen continue to confound. Can't score against bottom of the barrel RPI? Granted, their goalie played a great game. "One of our best games of the year" from RB...with no goals? Yow! Parity intrudes at inopportune times. With Colgate pumped after knocking off Cornell, Friday will be telling, not to mention Saturday's Cornell game. Time is running out quickly for the Dutchmen. Union needs the stars to align now!

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      The Dutchmen continue to confound. Can't score against bottom of the barrel RPI? Granted, their goalie played a great game. "One of our best games of the year" from RB...with no goals? Yow! Parity intrudes at inopportune times. With Colgate pumped after knocking off Cornell, Friday will be telling, not to mention Saturday's Cornell game. Time is running out quickly for the Dutchmen. Union needs the stars to align now!
      Union is 0-5-1 against the #40 and #49th PWR ranked teams. Does that mean things are looking up because you're past bullies like Brown and RPI, or does it mean you have to worry this weekend about hot teams like Colgate and strong teams like Cornell?

Comment

U was looking pretty decent for the Tournament, on the bubble, but now it's looking bad. I don't get this team. One night they look like World beaters, the next like a door mat. Coaching problem imho.

Comment

Cast iron mettle [sic]...is Union made of it? Big weekend.

Comment

4 zip to Cornell. Turning into a lost season for our Dutchmen.

Comment

Comment

The recap in the Gazette has several juicy quotes from Bennett....

Among them:

"Anybody can be ****ed off after the game. To me, that's the sign of a loser. If you're not ****ed off before you put those skates on for the first period, you should quit the game. Because you're not a hockey player."

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post

What was the deal with the fans going nuts for Young every time he touched the puck? Was it one of those "longtime practice goalie gets his Rudy shot and all his friends know what it means to him?"

I loved it.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Looks like the team got the message from Bennett. 6-0 blowout. Meanwhile, RPI ties Cornell.
                    Two big games next weekend at Harvard and Dartmouth. A Harvard win would be big. I'm gonna be at the Dartmouth game.

Comment

Former Union goalie Troy Grosenick was immortalized in bobblehead form on Friday.

Photo here: https://www.facebook.com/mkeadmirals...type=3&theater
                      Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 02-03-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

The shadow of Robert Louis Stevenson (Jekyll & Hyde) hangs over the Dutchmen. The calamity that was the Cornell game fortunately did not beget another one against Colgate. The Raiders, fresh off a win over Cornell, proved to be fodder for the struggling Dutchmen, who find themselves in desperate straits. Their pairwise ranking is very tenuous. Hope lies in an impressive finish to the regular season, a very tall order in light of recent performances (ex the blowout of a mediocre Colgate club).

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          In 2013-2014 we started out 2-2-1 but IMO you could see that the team was tenacious. They kept coming at you. The previous two years they had won the ECAC. They had something to prove. They were driven and you could see it from the start of the season. During the course of the season they continued to improve. They could adjust their play to the competitor. They could skate if you needed to skate. They could bang the boards if that was needed as well. When they were down, they seemed to have an extra gear, an overdrive. The seniors set expectations. Losing was not acceptable. Someone always seemed to "step up" when the need arose. They finished #2 in scoring and #2 in defense. They were hungry and as the season progressed, they got hungrier.

This year we have an outstanding group of young men. They are to a man a credit to the school and their families. They are a very good team. We have forwards with skill. We got off to a good start because he had everyone returning and a large and experienced senior class.

I think we will do well again this year. IMO I think we will finish around 20th in the pairwise and perhaps in the top 6 in the ECAC and maybe a trip to Lake Placid. You can see the progress the other teams in the league are making, as well as improvements in Hockey East teams. You can see which teams in the league are "hungry" and which teams are not.

IMO we are not playing like we are hungry. We are not playing like we have something to prove. We are not tenacious. We are not improving as fast as some of the other ECAC and HE teams are. We have some skill. The coaches can only do so much. The will to win and the will to never accept defeat has to come from within the players. I don't see it.

The good news is that we have a potentially championship calibre goalie in Hanson. He certainly is hungry and has something to prove.
                          I penned this on December 17. I just don't see us going to either the ECAC tournament nor the NCAA's. They are just not hungry enough. Fans had every reason to believe that this years team would be at least as good as last years team as we only lost two starting defenseman and one starting forward. Last years team came in second in league play. Not going to happen this year. The team does not appear that they really care.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I penned this on December 17. I just don't see us going to either the ECAC tournament nor the NCAA's. They are just not hungry enough. Fans had every reason to believe that this years team would be at least as good as last years team as we only lost two starting defenseman and one starting forward. Last years team came in second in league play. Not going to happen this year. The team does not appear that they really care.
                            Is it possible, in hindsight, that last year's team simply overachieved?

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                              Is it possible, in hindsight, that last year's team simply overachieved?
                              Yes
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

To suggest that "the team does not appear that they really care" is an insult. What does appear is the author's ignorance. These are elite and proud athletes we are talking about. Mojo can be elusive for a team. Expectations are always high for the erstwhile national champions, who have left many scratching their heads this season. This year's edition of Union hockey has frustrated everyone. Sure, expectations have not been met thus far. Maybe they will; maybe they will not. But the essence of team sports begins with caring.

Comment

Working...
                                X