X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Michigan University 2018 Offseason Thread: In Memory of Goofus

A lot to build on from this year.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: Northern Michigan University 2018 Offseason Thread: In Memory of Goofus

A sad note.... one of the Cats greatest fans, the legendary “Goofus” aka Alan Ammesmaki, passed away yesterday. Will never forget the polkacello and his boisterous cheers and moonshots at Lakeview, the Berry and many other places the Cats would. Always boisterous. Always classy and always positive. He’d never rip the other teams, coached or players, just cheered on his Cats with all his heart. God Bless ya Goofus!
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

@RyanStieg: *Breaking* NMU head coach Grant Potulny signs new 8-year contract with Wildcats. $285,000 per year through 2026. For more details, pick up tomorrow’s copy of the Mining Journal

@SchlossmanGF: Potulny signed last summer at $196,100/five years. Parlayed his successful debut season (and interest from Minnesota/potential interest from SCSU) into a massive raise and added years.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        A sad note.... one of the Cats greatest fans, the legendary “Goofus” aka Alan Ammesmaki, passed away yesterday. Will never forget the polkacello and his boisterous cheers and moonshots at Lakeview, the Berry and many other places the Cats would. Always boisterous. Always classy and always positive. He’d never rip the other teams, coached or players, just cheered on his Cats with all his heart. God Bless ya Goofus!
        RIP, Goofus.

Comment

Eight year, 285k/yr extension for Potulny.

Let's see St. Cloud State top that!!
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Eight year, 285k/yr extension for Potulny.

Let's see St. Cloud State top that!!
            They could but not by much!

Comment

You're welcome for us sniffing around at G-Money. Almost guarantee that's what got him the new contract.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                @RyanStieg: *Breaking* NMU head coach Grant Potulny signs new 8-year contract with Wildcats. $285,000 per year through 2026. For more details, pick up tomorrow’s copy of the Mining Journal

@SchlossmanGF: Potulny signed last summer at $196,100/five years. Parlayed his successful debut season (and interest from Minnesota/potential interest from SCSU) into a massive raise and added years.
                The part that really matters is the buyout

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Good for NMU for investing in their guy!
                  Last edited by MavHockey14; 03-29-2018, 11:30 AM.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I'm very sad to hear of this. I met him back in 1992 at the regional in Providence, when he was supporting Michigan State. From my write up:

While I'm tipping my hat to MSU and their fans, I feel that there is one guy I have to point out. Regrettably,I did not ask his name when I was talking to him. Anyway, he was one of about 10 MSU fans who had the nerve/guts to show their faces at the UMaine pep rally before the game. He was dressed in green, and was basically a one-man-band with several instruments. He performed a dance which the crowd thoroughly enjoyed. Unfortunately a few of the fans were out of hand and began to shout insults at the man. But the guy knew that they were a small minority and continued. Throughout the rally, and of course during the game, his smile never left his face. He was a real pleasure to watch and meet. I just wish that more fans were like him.
                    I was later told he went by Goofus, but back then his real name was apparently a mystery. He was one of a kind.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      I'm very sad to hear of this. I met him back in 1992 at the regional in Providence, when he was supporting Michigan State. From my write up:

I was later told he went by Goofus, but back then his real name was apparently a mystery. He was one of a kind.
                      Thank you for sharing this. I wasn't there and do not know. But sounds like a great fan.

Sorry for your loss NMU fans.

Comment

Anyone think this is a hasty move? Very good raise after only one season, but glad you might've found the one.
                        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                          Anyone think this is a hasty move? Very good raise after only one season, but glad you might've found the one.
                          Leaving the door open for other teams that come knocking apparently wasn’t a risk NMU want to expose themselves to. The salary now puts him #2 in the WCHA and is competitive with the NCHC and most programs outside the Big Ten and some of the top Hockey East schools.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            No. Good move.
                            “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                            – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                            when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

I used to see him at the Joe when the Cats played in the GLI, and I think at a NCAA playoff game. Last time I saw him was at a Miami of Ohio game in Oxford, some years ago. Nice guy, great fan. Prayers to him and his family.
                              “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                              – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                              when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Working...
                              X