Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

We finish the year ranked #16 in the USCHO poll and #15 in the USA Today poll, looks like the ND game garnered us some respect.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      We finish the year ranked #16 in the USCHO poll and #15 in the USA Today poll, looks like the ND game garnered us some respect.
      That final poll doesn't really mean anything (not that any of them do). It's just the voters "reporting" who the 16 teams in the tourney were and voting the winner as the unanimous #1. Notice how the top four just HAPPEN to the be the Frozen Four teams and Duluth just HAPPENED to jump all the way to #1 AND gathered all of the first place votes in both polls... What a shocking result.

Tech made the tourney, so they got ranked in the top 16. That's about all that means.

Ryan
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        That final poll doesn't really mean anything (not that any of them do). It's just the voters "reporting" who the 16 teams in the tourney were and voting the winner as the unanimous #1. Notice how the top four just HAPPEN to the be the Frozen Four teams and Duluth just HAPPENED to jump all the way to #1 AND gathered all of the first place votes in both polls... What a shocking result.

Tech made the tourney, so they got ranked in the top 16. That's about all that means.

Ryan
        But this final poll is so important for next year. Everyone will revert back to it to cast their votes for the first poll next fall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          But this final poll is so important for next year. Everyone will revert back to it to cast their votes for the first poll next fall.

Polls still don't mean anything when it comes to PWR.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Polls still don't mean anything when it comes to PWR.
            Polls mean zero. Nohing more than fodder for fans to chew on over a fishbowl.
            Last edited by davyd83; 04-09-2018, 11:13 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Polls mean zero.
              Yup.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Yup.
                I don't think anyone here is saying they do.

Comment

I don't think anyone here is saying they do.

You did. The poll is not important. It means nothing.

Comment

Sarcasm

Comment

Well sort of... To create October poll rankings, they'll take this top 16, remove any teams that are not "powerhouse" teams (Tech, Air Force, etc) and then they'll add in their perceived "winners" and "name programs" like Minnesota, UND, Wisconsin and then for good measure they will insert 2 or 3 "sure to be powerhouse" ECAC teams that haven't even played a game and keep them in the top 10 for nearly a month with their 0-0-0 records.
                      You can pull this post up in October and I'll have nailed it. Every year... you can bank on it.

Ryan
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Polls mean zero. Nohing more than fodder for fans to chew on over a fishbowl.
                        I disagree. It looks good to potential recruits to see that little national ranking number next to the name of the school. It is a status thing, and that status, while meaningless when it comes to the game, is something that potential recruits like to see.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          I disagree. It looks good to potential recruits to see that little national ranking number next to the name of the school. It is a status thing, and that status, while meaningless when it comes to the game, is something that potential recruits like to see.
                          Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Well sort of... To create October poll rankings, they'll take this top 16, remove any teams that are not "powerhouse" teams (Tech, Air Force, etc) and then they'll add in their perceived "winners" and "name programs" like Minnesota, UND, Wisconsin and then for good measure they will insert 2 or 3 "sure to be powerhouse" ECAC teams that haven't even played a game and keep them in the top 10 for nearly a month with their 0-0-0 records.
                          You can pull this post up in October and I'll have nailed it. Every year... you can bank on it.

Ryan
                          I agree with you both. For Tech and smaller non-power conference schools, it is a status symbol. It also allows recruits to see the Tech name on college hockey sites.

MTU's athletic department usually posts a story/link to the poll if we make the poll. We are a non-power conference school who doesn't get the national media love that the random ECAC "sure to be powerhouse" school gets.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            So basically the polls are college hockey's "vanity sizing". Nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              You make a good point. Thanks!
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

You make a good point. Thanks!
                                I think the polls are meaningless at the end. Only thing that matters is who won. Does anyone know or care what the DI football poll was like at the end?

Show a recruit the ND game , yes Tech lost but the intensity was incredible, you can then also mention beating MUD

Comment

Working...
                                X