Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-2019 ... Destination: Hamden, CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-2019 ... Destination: Hamden, CT

I am not 100% sure I am ready to move on just yet, but everyone else seems to be moving forward, so I probably should, too. With the strong showing by my Buckeye Women this season, our team should take the lessons they learned and move forward next season. We only lost four seniors. Those seniors will be sorely missed, but with the kids we have coming back, along with a talented recruiting class, this program will certainly have the tools to make a run at another Frozen Four.

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-2019 ... Destination: Hamden, CT

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I am not 100% sure I am ready to move on just yet...
    If you want to go back to the 2017-18 thread and discuss topics like, "Is a shootout win really a win?", then I'm there!
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      If you want to go back to the 2017-18 thread and discuss topics like, "Is a shootout win really a win?", then I'm there!
      Is a Gold Medal a win?

Beyond that quip, I'm not going back there.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I would really like to go back to last Friday and the bogus interference call that erased what would have been the game-winning goal for my kids, but I really need to move on. It's done. We had a young team this season, and this is just the beginning of Ohio State being a threat to win it all. Some fans referred to Ohio State as a "Cinderella." Our team was anything but a "Cinderella" and showed that they clearly belonged in the Frozen Four. I suppose some saw our record and called us a "Cinderella" based on that. When you have a young team, sometimes you lose games you have no business losing. I guess the beauty of this Frozen Four is that all three games went into OT, so any of those four teams could have won it all. I think that is good for the game.

In regard to a shootout win being a win, yeah, we swept you guys in the regular season. Haha, kidding! I will settle for taking 11 of the 12 points. You got us in the WCHA Final Faceoff when you really needed to win. Hey, I did get to meet Ne7minder and Robertearle when I was up there. I wanted to meet you, but if I heard Eeyore correctly, you were up in the press box somewhere. What a great facility. Now I am even more envious than when I just saw pictures of Ridder Arena. Best women's facility in our league, hands-down. I went around looking at all the pictures trying to find our coaches. Really admired the facility, though. I like facilities like yours where you come in at the top and can walk the concourse or be waiting in line at a concession stand and not miss the action. I really hope I get to see something similar get built at Ohio State someday.

It was tough seeing my emotional, gutted team coming out of the locker room after the game. I was fine initially because we really left it on the ice and outplayed Clarkson, then the girls started coming out and I got emotional with them. What can I say? I have been a longtime fan, and you know me ARM, I am emotionally invested in my team. Well, shoot, I said something about moving on, and here I am reliving what happened last Friday. Ugh. Great season, though. I am so very proud of my team, and I said this before on the other thread, but clearly, Coach Nadine Muzerall has this program ahead of schedule, getting the program to a Frozen Four in her second season. I am really looking forward to next season! Not going to have to say much to motivate this group coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Is a Gold Medal a win?

Beyond that quip, I'm not going back there.
          You are the smart one, Pgb. As you can tell by my other post, I am having a hard time moving on. Heck, the girls are so much more resilient than I am. They probably moved on the next day. I am still reliving it.

Comment

I would really like to go back to last Friday and the bogus interference call ...
            I saw it live at Ridder, and thought it was a legit call, and I just went back to the BTN broadcast/stream and looked again; if the Clarkson player doesn't get knocked down, she might very well have been in position to block the shot.

'Live' in the BTN broadcast, they are actually in a replay of previous action when the penalty occurs, but you can get a very clear look at it during the replays. at the 54:50 and again at about 55:10 marks in the stream.

https://www.btn2go.com/game/ncaa-frozen-four-game-1

Comment

Some fans referred to Ohio State as a "Cinderella." Our team was anything but a "Cinderella".
              I don’t think anything bad was meant by the Cinderella term, it’s just a quick and easy way of saying you beat someone ranked ahead of you to get to the Frozen Four. I think bandwagoning fans so often enjoy cheering for Cinderella teams that to me it almost means “team you will like rooting for” more than “ team that’s going to turn into a pumpkin again.” But if it bugs you it bugs you, I get it.

I think people who actually have a clue about women’s hockey know that when the puck drops anything can happen, and knew that OSU had good stuff going on this year, and had a chance to win that game.

I do think Ohio State will get their rink one of these days. Was the AD in Minneapolis? That has to be a good sign. Thought I saw something to that effect, but I also thought he would be in Cleveland with the wrestling championships here.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                I saw it live at Ridder, and thought it was a legit call, and I just went back to the BTN broadcast/stream and looked again; if the Clarkson player doesn't get knocked down, she might very well have been in position to block the shot.

'Live' in the BTN broadcast, they are actually in a replay of previous action when the penalty occurs, but you can get a very clear look at it during the replays. at the 54:50 and again at about 55:10 marks in the stream.

https://www.btn2go.com/game/ncaa-frozen-four-game-1
                Couldn't agree more that the call was legit and timely. Pick plays are specifically defined as interference in the rule book. In this case, the moving pick knocking over the Clarkson player only drew more attention to the play then if the Ohio State player simply established position and stood her ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  I don’t think anything bad was meant by the Cinderella term, it’s just a quick and easy way of saying you beat someone ranked ahead of you to get to the Frozen Four. I think bandwagoning fans so often enjoy cheering for Cinderella teams that to me it almost means “team you will like rooting for” more than “ team that’s going to turn into a pumpkin again.” But if it bugs you it bugs you, I get it.

I think people who actually have a clue about women’s hockey know that when the puck drops anything can happen, and knew that OSU had good stuff going on this year, and had a chance to win that game.

I do think Ohio State will get their rink one of these days. Was the AD in Minneapolis? That has to be a good sign. Thought I saw something to that effect, but I also thought he would be in Cleveland with the wrestling championships here.
                  I just kind of thought hanging a Cinderella tag on our team showed a lack of respect, because it implies that you don't belong there. Then again, it wasn't the first time we had been disrespected this season, and I am fine with that because it fueled our kids all season. They played with a chip on their shoulder all season because they weren't respected. Us beating Boston College was basically the 5-seed vs 4-seed game. If some want to consider that a major upset, so be it. Anyone who was at the game or watched it saw who the better team was.

I was actually impressed with Gene Smith, and yes, he and several others, presumably from the athletic department, jumped on a plane from Boise after our men's hoops game and showed up at the hotel. If you want to see a pic of yours truly, I am right beside him in a throwback 1980's replica hockey sweater on his twitter feed (@OSU_AD). His twitter feed has been pretty active, so you'll have to scroll down a ways to get to that pic (LOL). But yeah, he was all over the place. After our game, I believe he flew to Cleveland for the NCAA Wrestling Championships. He was a busy guy this past weekend.

As for the comments on the interference call (from Robertearle & cct78, not you Lindsay), I'll just agree to disagree on that one. I am not going to get into a debate about it. I think Clarkson had a great team this season (obviously) and I was proud of our kids that they went toe-to-toe with the #1 team in the country and had a legitimate shot to win the game. I also think it was great for the game that we had four evenly-matched teams, any of which could have won the whole thing. It was a tough way for us to end the season. It always is when you don't win your last game. The positives are that we have a young team and a coach that has awakened what many (myself included) have always considered to be a sleeping giant in women's hockey, so we'll be back. Kassidy Sauve will be back in net, most of our D's will be back and a large chunk of our scoring will be back. Amanda Zeglen showed that she is going to be a great backstop in her own right, so it's nice to know we are going to be set on the back end after Kassidy is done next season. I am hoping Coach gives Amanda a few more starts next season to give Kassidy a break every once in a while. We also have a stellar recruiting class coming in to replace the four seniors. I am really looking forward to the next couple seasons when we have more depth. Coach Nadine has us ahead of schedule getting to a Frozen Four in only her second season guiding the program. I can't wait to see where we are next season and beyond with her, Peter Elander, and Milica McMillen guiding the program.
                  Last edited by osualum86; 03-20-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

As for the comments on the interference call (from Robertearle & cct78, not you Lindsay), I'll just agree to disagree on that one.
                    I don't know if you recall, but midway through the second period of the 2017 championship game, trailing Clarkson 1-0, Wisconsin had an apparent goal wiped out by a penalty called a second or two before the puck went into the net. I understand VERY well how you feel. But...
                    Last edited by robertearle; 03-20-2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I don't know if you recall, but midway through the second period of the 2017 championship game, trailing Clarkson 1-0, Wisconsin had an apparent goal wiped out by a penalty called a second or two before the puck went into the net. I understand VERY well how you feel. But...
                      I am sure you do know how I feel. The farther you get the more it hurts and yours happened in the title game.

Comment

That happened right in front of us when Clark did that. It was a legit call. The one from last weekend was also, but after seeing all they let go it seemed like a very minor infraction.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                        X