Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

None of the Big Ten teams that will make the NCAA tournament won a game against a tournament team in OOC.

-Notre Dame lost and tied to Denver, their best win was #19 Omaha and includes a loss to #49 Sacred Heart at home
    -Penn State lost to Clarkson, their best win was #23 Mercyhurst and includes a loss to #44 AIC.
    -Ohio State didn't play anyone, their best win was #34 UConn and includes zero wins in two tries at home against #58 RPI.
    -Michigan lost to Clarkson, their best win was #48 Vermont and includes a loss to #50 Ferris State. I'm not counting the Sparty game in the GLI because they're conference opponents.

The only team in the Big Ten that DID beat a conference team in OOC - Minnesota's sweep of Clarkson - is the last team out.

This is a joke. I get that scheduling cupcakes is the easy way to get to the tournament, but something needs to be done to encourage competitive OOC scheduling and not "just get a bad team and beat them easily"
    Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 03-17-2018, 10:06 PM.
    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    None of the Big Ten teams that will make the NCAA tournament won a game against a tournament team in OOC.

-Notre Dame lost and tied to Denver, their best win was #19 Omaha and includes a loss to #49 Sacred Heart at home
    -Penn State lost to Clarkson, their best win was #23 Mercyhurst and includes a loss to #44 AIC.
    -Ohio State didn't play anyone, their best win was #34 UConn and includes zero wins in two tries at home against #58 RPI.
    -Michigan lost to Clarkson, their best win was #48 Vermont and includes a loss to #50 Ferris State. I'm not counting the Sparty game in the GLI because they're conference opponents.

The only team in the Big Ten that DID beat a conference team in OOC - Minnesota's sweep of Clarkson - is the last team out.

This is a joke. I get that scheduling cupcakes is the easy way to get to the tournament, but something needs to be done to encourage competitive OOC scheduling and not "just get a bad team and beat them easily"
    And now that you've spewed that childish rant, sit back and watch all four of them beat a tournament team next weekend.

Big Ten : Best conference in college hockey!!!
    National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
    National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
      Big Ten : Best conference in college hockey!!!
      Might not be there yet, but definitely headed in that direction.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Gophers out of conference was the absolute last thing that cost them an NCAA bid
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Might not be there yet, but definitely headed in that direction.
          Agreed. Fan of the NCHC and can't help but to think the Big Ten is becoming one of the better conferences in the nation.

Comment

The "My team was screwed!" thread doesn't start until AFTER the selection show.

Comment

Originally posted by Bender14 View Post
              Agreed. Fan of the NCHC and can't help but to think the Big Ten is becoming one of the better conferences in the nation.
              Thank you for being objective. Too bad I can't say the same for most other NCHC fans.
              National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
              National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                The "My team was screwed!" thread doesn't start until AFTER the selection show.
                Does the committee still try to screw the WCHA? How does that work with all of the realignment?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I get that scheduling cupcakes is the easy way to get to the tournament, but something needs to be done to encourage competitive OOC scheduling and not "just get a bad team and beat them easily"
                  you are missing the forest for the trees. teams need to schedule as many home games as possible for ooc. it all comes down to $$$ and finding 'cupcakes' to travel is what ends up getting games on the calendar.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Big Ten isn't the best conference yet. It's getting closer but it had nowhere else to go. Nothing against the rules in who they scheduled, it was enough to get in, but let's see what happens when the dust settles.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      Does the committee still try to screw the WCHA? How does that work with all of the realignment?
                      Indeed. Once again they made sure there will be no all-WCHA Frozen Four.

Comment

Notre Dame and Penn State originally scheduled and OOC series, but that obviously canceled. I think Notre Dame replaced them with ASU or UAH last minute.

Wait one week.
                        Notre Dame Hockey
                        Reigning Big Ten Champions
                        Reigning CCHA Champions
                        Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

On another note, it's nice to see a conference bad enough that Notre Dame could join up and finally start having some success in the postseason again. Good for those little leprechauns.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Eastern bias!! None of the Hockey East teams in the tournament won a single non-conference game against another tournament team.

This selective statistic stuff is fun. Let's continue: Duluth went 1-2 against non-conference tourney teams. SCSU 1-1-2 (at least they didn't lose to Princeton). We won't talk about Denver, 'cause that doesn't help my NaCHo is terrible argument.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Let's be honest here - We're not talking about the whole Big. We're talking about Penn State and Ohio State. And there's really no defending their non-con scheduling.

Comment

Working...
                              X