UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dunbar View Post
    Say hello to the beginning of the end of Alfond Arena.
    It’s an interesting thought. Would they put an ice sheet into Cross Center or build a new arena on campus? It seems that both basketball teams and both hockey teams are trending up so maybe it would be a good time to do it. I’d be very sad to see Alfond go though.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      Never going to happen. What qualifies as super competitive anyway? They got 3 NCAA appearances and 1 win in the last 10 years, mens hockeys got 1 and 0 wins in that time.

No other team’s made the NCAAs twice in the last ten years, so by that measure footballs the most competitive program the school has

$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        So the new AD comes from a hockey school at leasr
        And he's a very good one. Yes, was D-III for a number of years, but you'll be very pleased with what he does, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          It’s an interesting thought. Would they put an ice sheet into Cross Center or build a new arena on campus? It seems that both basketball teams and both hockey teams are trending up so maybe it would be a good time to do it. I’d be very sad to see Alfond go though.
          Well, given the interview and where he most recently was I would doubt that. He highlighted the fact that CC was excited to finally have a place on campus to play. And he mentioned that it was a big deal to not have to bus around off campus. Combine that with what I assume is his biggest accomplishment, that is, securing funding for the new ice arena at CC. All of that seems to point to not having Maine's ice hockey off campus. My guess is Alfond would be around for a while, and maybe some upgrades to it. But if/when Maine does get a new arena, I hope they would maintain the character of having the student section over the ice. I always thought Matthews arena at NU was the best facility to model for Maine. Imagine an entire bowl above the ice at Maine for hockey.

Also, I edited this post again to say I am impressed with what I heard so far. Nice to have a former all American athlete as an AD. Very well spoken. But the best speaking he didn't have to do, his former faculty and fans have spoken for him. That is worth a lot, I believe.
          Last edited by BlackI; 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Say hello to the beginning of the end of Alfond Arena.
            Nah. I'll never see it.

Comment

cross center isnt big enough for hockey, can we drop that from the list

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/08/...etic-director/

Good article in portland paper on ad.
                Sounds like a good hire and look forward to seeing what happens.
                Sounds to me that hiring the recruiter in the search was a key!!

Comment

Audio interview in case people are interested...
                  http://thedrive.bangordailynews.com/...n-ralph-audio/

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    cross center isnt big enough for hockey, can we drop that from the list

The Cross Center’s floor is 200x85.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Nah. I'll never see it.
                      If you want the program to be sustainable long-term, you’ll need to keep it in your line of vision.

Ralph is a facilities guy. The Alfond isn’t a great facility anymore. Atmosphere, yes, but that can only go so far. It’s tough to invest in a 41 year old building with a obscure structural system. Ralph was able to raise almost $40M to move CC hockey on campus for the first time. The answer isn’t the Cross Center, the answer is a new arena on campus.

Comment

If you want the program to be sustainable long-term, you’ll need to keep it in your line of vision.

Ralph is a facilities guy. The Alfond isn’t a great facility anymore. Atmosphere, yes, but that can only go so far. It’s tough to invest in a 41 year old building with a obscure structural system. Ralph was able to raise almost $40M to move CC hockey on campus for the first time. The answer isn’t the Cross Center, the answer is a new arena on campus.
                        If they do it I hope it’s Alfond inspired and not like a lot of the newer arenas that are spread out and don’t have any atmosphere. I would also build it smaller than the Alfond and not have more than 4K or so seats for hockey. It is very important that it’s full.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post

With whose money? How the heck does that get paid for? What profits would increase by having a new arena? Ticket prices are too high already. Is there a mass of new fans out there who would turn up to go to a nicer arena? People are busier and there are more things to do than in 1990, and there are also fewer people around in Central/Eastern Maine. You spend $40M on a new arena and you are basically setting $40M on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            With whose money?
                            I don't know. But if I were to guess it would probably be someone that is rich, loves Maine hockey, and wants their name on the building. Or to preserve the name of the building now. The current arena was named after someone that was rich, loved Maine hockey, and wanted his name on the building.

Comment

Be nice to see the Program start winning and winning something that counts...won't see a new arena till then,..NO... not even then...new arena is a pipe dream anyway you cut it.

Comment

Do you live in Maine ? If so is it a meth house? You'd have to be extremely high to think he can raise enough cash to build another arena. The oldest state in the union with an aversion to any kind of business that isnt tourist related. This isnt Colarado. Some pot seller out there could probably fund a new arena with ill gotten gain. I hope he can raise enough money to keep Maine D1 .

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X