Hockey East Semi's and Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Semi's and Finals

We had some close games but ultimately ended up with chalk this weekend. BU/BC at 5 and NU/PC at 8 on Friday. BC and BU spilt their series this year and PC took 3 points off of NU during their weekend series. Any of the 4 teams winning the title really wouldn't surprise me, should be fun.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Re: Hockey East Semi's and Finals

Does anyone know for sure what the determining factor is for when each game is played? It's not #1 seed choice because there have been examples of #1 seed playing late game. And it's not "brand matchup" is nightcap because BC-BU would be nightcap. Only thing I can think of here is since PC is the only non Boston team, give people from Providence more time to get to game. But we're talking Providence not Maine here. Seems like a stretch.

Anyway, I am expecting both to be one goal games. Elimination game for BC and BU. NUs top heavy talent against a more balanced PC team. Should be a fun night.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Does anyone know for sure what the determining factor is for when each game is played? It's not #1 seed choice because there have been examples of #1 seed playing late game. And it's not "brand matchup" is nightcap because BC-BU would be nightcap. Only thing I can think of here is since PC is the only non Boston team, give people from Providence more time to get to game. But we're talking Providence not Maine here. Seems like a stretch.

Anyway, I am expecting both to be one goal games. Elimination game for BC and BU. NUs top heavy talent against a more balanced PC team. Should be a fun night.
      I believe the higher seed gets the first game because it’s a bit of an advantage. I agree with you it’s foolish not to have BU-BC be the late game. I can’t imagine there will be many PC fans there regardless of when the game starts.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

You would think that but there have been times where the #1 seed has played late game. BU in 2009, BC 2016.

Comment

Hockey East Beanpot

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
            Hockey East Beanpot
            This could be the year for NU for trophies. I remember the 1st Hockey East with Terreri literally playing out his mind for PC. Other than Merrimack and UMass or Notre Dame some teams still have not won a HE Tournament trophy. They have their Beanpot this year and good chance will get a Tournament trophy too. 🍺
            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
              This could be the year for NU for trophies. I remember the 1st Hockey East with Terreri literally playing out his mind for PC. Other than Merrimack and UMass or Notre Dame some teams still have not won a HE Tournament trophy. They have their Beanpot this year and good chance will get a Tournament trophy too. 🍺
              Of the remaining teams, NU has the most recent Hockey East and Beanpot championships
              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Interesting to note that while all the top seed swept their series, 7 out of the 8 games were one goal victories.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  You would think that but there have been times where the #1 seed has played late game. BU in 2009, BC 2016.
                  The highest remaining seed has played in the late game 3 times: 2009 when #1 BU played #6 BC; 2015 when #1 BU played #8 New Hampshire; and 2016 when #1 BC played #6 Northeastern.

In other Hockey East tournament miscellany this is the first time since 2006 that all four quarterfinal series were sweeps. It was also the lowest average attendance (2,309) for the quarterfinals going back to 2002.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    It was also the lowest average attendance (2,309) for the quarterfinals going back to 2002.

Sean
                    no smartphones, instagram, twitter, youtube, snap well, you get it.. & a myriad other distractions around in 2002.
                    Different planet.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      no smartphones, instagram, twitter, youtube, snap well, you get it.. & a myriad other distractions around in 2002.
                      Different planet.
                      Yes, but the drop has not been a straight line. The 2016 quarterfinal average attendance (3,910) was the third highest out of the last 17 years and the 2017 quarterfinals were in the middle, 8th (3,576). So what changed between 2016 and this year to cause a drop of almost 41%? Looking at the four home teams it would appear that the excitement of the fan base of Lowell and Notre Dame played a big part in the averages for 2016 & 2017. Having the three Boston schools all host was a major part of the drop this year, as BU & BC have always had playoff attendance issues, as has NU the past four years that they have hosted a playoff series.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Yes, but the drop has not been a straight line. The 2016 quarterfinal average attendance (3,910) was the third highest out of the last 17 years and the 2017 quarterfinals were in the middle, 8th (3,576). So what changed between 2016 and this year to cause a drop of almost 41%? Looking at the four home teams it would appear that the excitement of the fan base of Lowell and Notre Dame played a big part in the averages for 2016 & 2017. Having the three Boston schools all host was a major part of the drop this year, as BU & BC have always had playoff attendance issues, as has NU the past four years that they have hosted a playoff series.

Sean
                        Add to this that PC has always been a BB school first and foremost in terms of attendance at games. During the semi games with Maine the students were on break and PC was playing in the Big East BB semi and final game in NYC.

Comment

...The 2016 quarterfinal average attendance (3,910) was the third highest out of the last 17 years and the 2017 quarterfinals were in the middle, 8th (3,576). So what changed between 2016 and this year to cause a drop of almost 41%?...Having the three Boston schools all host was a major part of the drop this year, as BU & BC have always had playoff attendance issues, as has NU the past four years that they have hosted a playoff series...
                          And part of the problem re the Boston schools is that at least two of them are on Spring Break.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I wonder how many people took a look at the line at Matthews on Saturday and said, "Thanks, but no thanks".
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              I wonder how many people took a look at the line at Matthews on Saturday and said, "Thanks, but no thanks".
                              I think selling online with no fees or minimal fee charges would help. I remember buying online and printing the tickets made it very convenient and easy during the regular season games.
                              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Working...
                              X