Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

The only matchup of teams that both played in the opening round...
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    The only matchup of teams that both played in the opening round...
    I picked Genny in the first round.....I will go with them again !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

They are calling Colby's win over UNE an upset: https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/03...n-ncaa-hockey/

Is it an upset when everything goes according to plan?

A couple things to know about Colby's run-up to the NESCAC playoffs and the NCAA Tournament: Colby got a #6 seed for the NESCAC playoffs by virtue of a tie-breaker with Wesleyan. The two were tied for fifth in a league where just three points separated #2 and #7, and two points separated #2 Conn College and Colby. Near the end of the season, Colby had a tie with Conn in a game at their place. If Colby had won that game, they would have ended up in second and Conn would have been sixth. Yeah, that's how close it was. So, Colby beating Amherst and Wesleyan should have been no big surprise. With the confidence that they had gained at the end of the season and the first two playoff wins, they were ready for a Trinity team that was starting to show cracks in its armor. Again, no surprise...

Even the UNE fans approached the Colby game with some trepidation. They had beaten Colby twice during the season, but those were non-league games in which Colby had used their second string goalie. The Colby team UNE saw last night was a different one - one that clogged up the middle and blocked shots, one backed up by a goalie with a .940 save percentage; one that played like there was something on the line. Their confidence continues to grow. They are playing the best hockey of their collective lives. They should not be taken lightly.
      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
        They are calling Colby's win over UNE an upset: https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/03...n-ncaa-hockey/

Is it an upset when everything goes according to plan?

A couple things to know about Colby's run-up to the NESCAC playoffs and the NCAA Tournament: Colby got a #6 seed for the NESCAC playoffs by virtue of a tie-breaker with Wesleyan. The two were tied for fifth in a league where just three points separated #2 and #7, and two points separated #2 Conn College and Colby. Near the end of the season, Colby had a tie with Conn in a game at their place. If Colby had won that game, they would have ended up in second and Conn would have been sixth. Yeah, that's how close it was. So, Colby beating Amherst and Wesleyan should have been no big surprise. With the confidence that they had gained at the end of the season and the first two playoff wins, they were ready for a Trinity team that was starting to show cracks in its armor. Again, no surprise...

Even the UNE fans approached the Colby game with some trepidation. They had beaten Colby twice during the season, but those were non-league games in which Colby had used their second string goalie. The Colby team UNE saw last night was a different one - one that clogged up the middle and blocked shots, one backed up by a goalie with a .940 save percentage; one that played like there was something on the line. Their confidence continues to grow. They are playing the best hockey of their collective lives. They should not be taken lightly.
        Yeah, comical. Playing well, hot goalie and come from the best league top to bottom in the country.

Comment

https://www.***********/hockeyinthec...97221627023360

Sounds like they are driving.
          #OneKnight

Comment

If Colby can maintain the intensity they had in the second period and then increased on in the third period last night, they will be very difficult to beat. However, if they play the way they did in the first period, they'll be an average team who will struggle. Earlier in the year, UNE played Geneseo at Norwich and handled them 9-5 (at least that is what it looked like on my tiny computer screen!). Three PP goals on the one penalty Genny was assessed in the entire game. Kind of turned a 4-2 game into a 7-2 game in a big hurry.

I wish Colby luck going forward. I really enjoyed last night's game, even though the final wasn't what I was hoping. I love watching good hockey, and that is what Colby played last night in all three zones.

I think Geneseo will have their hands full next week.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
              So the 500 mile rule is waived for in-region games? Or is it just that if you went by air, you'd have to drive a good distance anyway and make stupid connections? Waterville - Boston by bus, then Boston to NYC and NYC to Rochester? Or Waterville - Portland, then Portland to somewhere, and somewhere to Rochester with maybe one connection per day?
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                If Colby can maintain the intensity they had in the second period and then increased on in the third period last night, they will be very difficult to beat. However, if they play the way they did in the first period, they'll be an average team who will struggle. Earlier in the year, UNE played Geneseo at Norwich and handled them 9-5 (at least that is what it looked like on my tiny computer screen!). Three PP goals on the one penalty Genny was assessed in the entire game. Kind of turned a 4-2 game into a 7-2 game in a big hurry.

I wish Colby luck going forward. I really enjoyed last night's game, even though the final wasn't what I was hoping. I love watching good hockey, and that is what Colby played last night in all three zones.

I agree that Colby will be a really tough test for Geneseo.

The Geneseo vs. UNE game from right after break shouldn't be given much weight, I think. It was Geneseo first game back and they were clearly struggling in almost every way, especially since they don't play a simple north-south game. (I've seen this recently with quite a few teams coming directly off winter break.) Geneseo dominated the game late but the damage was already done. I think it's fair to say that they are a very different team at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post
                  The Geneseo vs. UNE game from right after break shouldn't be given much weight, I think. It was Geneseo first game back and they were clearly struggling in almost every way, especially since they don't play a simple north-south game. (I've seen this recently with quite a few teams coming directly off winter break.) Geneseo dominated the game late but the damage was already done. I think it's fair to say that they are a very different team at this point.
                  Ironically, the first Colby loss to UNE was under the same circumstances, right after the break, and just a couple days before Genny played them. That was the start of Colby's slump.

Comment

Exactly how I called it.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      So the 500 mile rule is waived for in-region games? Or is it just that if you went by air, you'd have to drive a good distance anyway and make stupid connections? Waterville - Boston by bus, then Boston to NYC and NYC to Rochester? Or Waterville - Portland, then Portland to somewhere, and somewhere to Rochester with maybe one connection per day?
                      Colby has been playing well on the road, as of late. But, this is one long trip, way longer than the trip to Hamilton every year. And then there's that rabid Geneseo fan base... With any luck, Geneseo will be on spring break.

Comment

From the TES milage calclator (Official NCAA Calculator)
                        To: GENESEO, SUNY
                        Miles: 584.0

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post

I wouldn't hold much stock in that first meeting. Geneseo knows exactly what they did wrong against UNE, and they won't repeat that.

Having said that, I'm certainly not discounting Colby. This is another toss up game almost as hard to pick as the Geneseo-Hobart game.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

It looks like Schultz is trying to adjust for a problem the team ran into last year when they hit the wall at the end of the season. He's had the luxury of being able to rotate some very high quality dmen in and out of the line-up. Midseason DI transfer Campion was out of the line-up against Fredonia. Condon got a break several weeks ago for a couple games as did Hartman right after that. Russell got a break for a couple games while recovering from a bruised knee. Last night against Hobart, in what was likely to be a very physical game, Campion was in and Lagrone was out. Nice to have the personnel to be able to do that, and so far it's paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post
                              It looks like Schultz is trying to adjust for a problem the team ran into last year when they hit the wall at the end of the season. He's had the luxury of being able to rotate some very high quality dmen in and out of the line-up. Midseason DI transfer Campion was out of the line-up against Fredonia. Condon got a break several weeks ago for a couple games as did Hartman right after that. Russell got a break for a couple games while recovering from a bruised knee. Last night against Hobart, in what was likely to be a very physical game, Campion was in and Lagrone was out. Nice to have the personnel to be able to do that, and so far it's paying off.
                              And he rolled all his lines throughout the game yesterday. He’s not afraid to use his depth.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                              X