NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Quarterfinals: Nichols vs Salve Regina

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Here we go...
    I think the big question will be Salve's response to being off for three weeks. They were slow to get started against Nichols in the league semi-finals and ran out of gas after tying it. Can revenge be enough to get them going early? Can't count Nichols out, they've had a solid year but have been under the radar because of the strong conference play with Salve, UNE and Endicott.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
      I think the big question will be Salve's response to being off for three weeks. They were slow to get started against Nichols in the league semi-finals and ran out of gas after tying it. Can revenge be enough to get them going early? Can't count Nichols out, they've had a solid year but have been under the radar because of the strong conference play with Salve, UNE and Endicott.

This should be a very good game, Nichols is playing very well right now and has peaked at the right time. The key for Salve will be to get ahead early. The three weeks will have an impact, however Klann is a very disciplined coach and his team plays his systems very well and I've watched them practice and they are dialed in and not taking Nichols lightly. The game will be at Boss Arena at URI which is a bigger ice surface than the Abbey and it is almost halfway between Nichols and Newport, RI so the location is really a moot point. I think the bigger ice surface will benefit Salve because they have a very mobile D-UNIT as well as some pretty quick moving forwards. My pick is Salve 4-2 with Wojtala being the difference maker. I also think Billings will have a big game, he is a terrific player.

Comment

Originally posted by landing1010 View Post
        This should be a very good game, Nichols is playing very well right now and has peaked at the right time. The key for Salve will be to get ahead early. The three weeks will have an impact, however Klann is a very disciplined coach and his team plays his systems very well and I've watched them practice and they are dialed in and not taking Nichols lightly. The game will be at Boss Arena at URI which is a bigger ice surface than the Abbey and it is almost halfway between Nichols and Newport, RI so the location is really a moot point. I think the bigger ice surface will benefit Salve because they have a very mobile D-UNIT as well as some pretty quick moving forwards. My pick is Salve 4-2 with Wojtala being the difference maker. I also think Billings will have a big game, he is a terrific player.
        I am confused....I was under the impression you had to host at your regular home arena?? The Plattsburgh men had to give up hosting one year because the women needed Stafford for the final 4. They may have been able to work put for another rink.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          I am confused....I was under the impression you had to host at your regular home arena?? The Plattsburgh men had to give up hosting one year because the women needed Stafford for the final 4. They may have been able to work put for another rink.
          I think they have to host at the location included in their hosting bid. If the host school secured Boss Arena early enough that they made their playoff bid at that rink instead of their home rink, then that's the bid the NCAA will consider. I think Plattsburgh likely only had Stafford for their QF host bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            I think they have to host at the location included in their hosting bid. If the host school secured Boss Arena early enough that they made their playoff bid at that rink instead of their home rink, then that's the bid the NCAA will consider. I think Plattsburgh likely only had Stafford for their QF host bid.
            As I recall, at least at one time, you could only make a bid with a rink that you had used for a minimum number of games during the season. I'm guessing the rule must have been changed.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              As I recall, at least at one time, you could only make a bid with a rink that you had used for a minimum number of games during the season. I'm guessing the rule must have been changed.
              the rink they use usually closes once the Portsmouth Abbey's season is over, however, I was at a High School Game there yesterday and they have HS games scheduled this week, so I am not sure what the deal is, perhaps because of capacity and Venue. The Abbey is a decent rink, however not a great venue overall for capacity. I was also informed that Salve is going to take over the management of the rink at St.Georges school. This in my opinion is a real game changer for SRU. It is a 5 minute ride from campus and is a great facility, and the women's team plays there currently. I've been told that Salve is going to be building new locker rooms in an already awesome rink, in fact there are two rinks there, the old rink, which is great for practices and the new rink which could accommodate 1500 fans. Should help with the recruitment efforts quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by landing1010 View Post
                I think the bigger ice surface actually favors the smaller, better skating Nichols squad. In tight quarters, against physical teams, they can be taken out of there game. But give them open ice and they'll be difficult to contain. That top line, Baker, Menta and Cuthrell can skate with anyone and the next two lines fly around as well. It will depend on which Wojtala shows up; the one who shut them out both games of the final weekend or the one who let in five goals in CCC semi's.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
                  I think the bigger ice surface actually favors the smaller, better skating Nichols squad. In tight quarters, against physical teams, they can be taken out of there game. But give them open ice and they'll be difficult to contain. That top line, Baker, Menta and Cuthrell can skate with anyone and the next two lines fly around as well. It will depend on which Wojtala shows up; the one who shut them out both games of the final weekend or the one who let in five goals in CCC semi's.
                  Don’t think the larger ice surface will favor either team. Salve’s forwards can fly as well and their Dmen are big and can skate. Salve has played well on big surfaces ie: Norwich & UNE but I don’t think it will matter. Goalie will be the key as you mentioned. Long layoff should not matter in a game like this. Adrenalin and poise will be key. Should be a good one.

Comment

Very good game...both teams played well but Salve got the big goal at the end to win it. Congrats to both teams
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      Very good game...both teams played well but Salve got the big goal at the end to win it. Congrats to both teams
                      Agree. Well played by both teams. Nice to see a CCC team in the Final Four. Good luck to Salve......

Comment

Working...
                      X