Illinois D1 study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois D1 study

My apologies if posted elsewhere. I didn't see a thread in a quick look-see.
    ===

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- A new feasibility study shows growing enthusiasm for a Division I hockey team at the University of Illinois.
    The National Hockey League, the National Hockey League Players Association and College Hockey Inc. commissioned the study in June 2017. College Hockey Inc. executive director Mike Smee says the consensus found that "NCAA men's hockey will flourish" at Illinois.
    The study recommended building a new arena in downtown Champaign for hockey, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling.
    The athletics department says in a news release accompanying the study released Thursday that it's not yet prepared to make a decision about adding hockey as a varsity sport. The school said it would happen only if it could "successfully fund the program and receive needed support" from the campus and community.
    The Big Ten started its own men's hockey league after Penn State added a program in 2012, giving the conference the minimum six teams needed to qualify for an automatic NCAA Tournament berth.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Illinois D1 study

More from the university:
    http://fightingillini.com/news/2018/...ity-study.aspx

excerpts:
    The study recommends development of a new facility on the location proposed in downtown Champaign. The DIA concurs with this recommendation and will begin focusing its planning efforts on the downtown location. The facility, which would have seating capacity of 5,000 – 6,000, could provide new competition space for hockey, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling. The downtown location allows the University to partner with the City of Champaign and, with its easy accessibility to the many amenities and business establishments that downtown has to offer, should serve as a boon to the local economy.

"We are excited to share the results of our feasibility study and continue advancing our efforts to bring Division I hockey to Champaign-Urbana," said Illinois Director of Athletics Josh Whitman. "This is one of our most ambitious and potentially impactful projects in recent memory. Adding Division I hockey and building the new arena it would require would be transformative for the sport of hockey in the state of Illinois and for our university, our athletic program, and, importantly, for the Champaign-Urbana communities. We are grateful for the partnerships we have developed with the Chicago Blackhawks, the National Hockey League, and College Hockey, Inc., all of which have become true champions for this cause. We look forward to engaging with more people from across the state to generate the support necessary to make this project a reality."
    ---

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
      More from the university:
      http://fightingillini.com/news/2018/...ity-study.aspx

excerpts:
      The study recommends development of a new facility on the location proposed in downtown Champaign. The DIA concurs with this recommendation and will begin focusing its planning efforts on the downtown location. The facility, which would have seating capacity of 5,000 – 6,000, could provide new competition space for hockey, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling. The downtown location allows the University to partner with the City of Champaign and, with its easy accessibility to the many amenities and business establishments that downtown has to offer, should serve as a boon to the local economy.

"We are excited to share the results of our feasibility study and continue advancing our efforts to bring Division I hockey to Champaign-Urbana," said Illinois Director of Athletics Josh Whitman. "This is one of our most ambitious and potentially impactful projects in recent memory. Adding Division I hockey and building the new arena it would require would be transformative for the sport of hockey in the state of Illinois and for our university, our athletic program, and, importantly, for the Champaign-Urbana communities. We are grateful for the partnerships we have developed with the Chicago Blackhawks, the National Hockey League, and College Hockey, Inc., all of which have become true champions for this cause. We look forward to engaging with more people from across the state to generate the support necessary to make this project a reality."
      Doesnt sound like this is going to happen anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        Unless they have a big time donor it won’t happen. School is basically broke.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          Unless they have a big time donor it won’t happen. School is basically broke.
          Jimmy John!
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
            CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- "NCAA men's hockey will flourish" at Illinois... if it could "successfully fund the program and receive needed support" from the campus and community.
            I edited the report down to an "executive level summary." This is really all you need to know about the potential for hockey at Illinios, or any school for that matter.

Why they continue to do these "studies" is beyond me. If you don't have $50M sitting in the bank there is no point even thinking about your potential to have a men's D-I hockey program and another new women's sport per Title IX at your school. Oh well something nice to print in the next alumni newsletter if nothing else. "We're thinking about adding D-I hockey and we're also thinking about constructing six new academic buildings on campus next year... if we can successfully fund the construction and get the needed support to build them."

Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Why they continue to do these "studies" is beyond me.
              I think it's one of two things. Either:

A) Some alums (presumably high-profile ones) have expressed some sort of interest in adding hockey, and need some assurance that it would be a worthwhile endeavor/investment.

or

B) The school knows they have well-off, high profile alumnus and hope they will see the results of the study and possibly help to start the program(s).

I suppose there could a be a third, what you were saying & just to put into a newsletter.

But either way, I personally don't see anything wrong in doing these studies - it isn't hurting anything. Wasting some time, sure, but if there's even an outside chance that a school, individual or group steps up to get the ball rolling on another program, I'm okay with it.
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Saw this on twitter:

https://medium.com/@BigTwen/the-shod...y-f6a3429c26c4
                https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  It's Illinois -- you have to give them time to generate kickbacks and bribes 😜
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    It's Illinois -- you have to give them time to generate kickbacks and bribes 😜
                    Sell a chancellorship or an endowed chair and you have the makings of a war chest.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                      Wow... that analysis did everything but put the report in a garbage can, set it on fire, and toss it off a bridge... but it came close!
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X