Opening Round: Colby at New England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Round: Colby at New England

I figured a thread about each game may be in order. Links, previews, stories, comments, etc.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Opening Round: Colby at New England

This Colby fan has been an admirer of the UNE program for a couple years, now. I have been touting it on the NESCAC thread since mid-season. Even though the Mules have dropped three straight to the Nor'easters (two this year), I was pulling for this first round match-up for a couple reasons, the short road trip and the opportunity to grow the in-state rivalry. The two Colby losses this season came during a time when the Mules had an inexplicably bad run. Anyone who has watched their last three games will tell you they are playing as well as any team in D3 right now. This ought to be a great game.
    Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Having witnessed the debacle last week against Nichols, I hope UNE can recover. I don't want to diminish the Nichols win,because they were terrific, but UNE really looked lifeless, right from the warm-ups. UNE goalies really struggled to stop anything and the rest of the players played the like Alphonse and Gaston, "You got it?, Nope, I got it!" and then neither one got it.

I had the chance to watch parts of both Colby games at Trinity this weekend over the stream. Colby looked like a very different team than the one UNE played at the Forum back in January. Colby had more speed through the neutral zone and they really put pressure on with their forecheck. Also, the goalie looked much better this weekend. Perhaps that will be the difference, which team's goaltender comes up big!

Also, if last week is any guide, the joint will be jumping and you better get there early.

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
        Also, the goalie looked much better this weekend.
        Sean Lawrence, Colby's #1 goalie, did not play in either game versus UNE.
        Mule train, yeah, yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMule View Post
          Sean Lawrence, Colby's #1 goalie, did not play in either game versus UNE.
          Nice article about Lawrence:

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/03...presence-felt/
          Last edited by OhioMule; 03-07-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Not sure if folks knew this, or not, but UNE is selling advance tickets to Saturday's game. If last week is any indication, they will go fast. Also, if you wait until the last minute, you may not get in. Here is the link for information on tickets: http://athletics.une.edu/news/2018/3...ound_info.aspx

Comment

Not sure if folks knew this, or not, but UNE is selling advance tickets to Saturday's game. If last week is any indication, they will go fast. Also, if you wait until the last minute, you may not get in. Here is the link for information on tickets: http://athletics.une.edu/news/2018/3...ound_info.aspx
              Many of the schools are going on spring break as of today. Wonder what that will do to attendance across all four opening games....

Comment

I got an email from the Colby AD regarding ticket sales at Colby for the game. So, they have reserved some for Colby fans, as well. Might be a tough ticket to get - as you would expect for an in-state rivalry.
                Last edited by OhioMule; 03-09-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                  I got an email from the Colby AD regarding ticket sales at Colby for the game. So, they have reserved some for Colby fans, as well. Might be a tough ticket to get - as you would expect for an in-state rivalry.
                  What I didn't know was that the University is now on Spring Break. There should still be a great crowd, but maybe the yahoos who attended last week have moved on to Cancun for the yowling! Should be a great game.

Comment

Pregame summary: https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/03...aa-tournament/

Comment

Colby wins 4-2
                      St. Norbert College Green Knights
                      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      ---
                      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Excellent game! UNE controlled the first half, but starting in the second half of the second period the Mules really grabbed the momentum.

Given my schedule for the rest of the month, this is probably the last game of the year I'll be able to watch. Congrats to Colby on the win and UNE on a helluva season!
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Game went about the way I expected - close and exciting. This is the start of a great rivalry.

Comment

It really was a terrific game. Both teams came to play, but Colby definitely exerted control in the second and third period. Colby did a great job of clogging the middle, I can't imagine how many blocked shots they had. There kids really "sold out" on protecting the house, and when shots made it through to Lawrence, he was equal to the task. He made some really stellar saves tonight.

Best of luck in the next round. I assume they'll travel to Geneseo.

Comment

Working...
                            X