Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Figure time to move on, plenty to keep an eye on during the off season

-new assistant coach, who will it be
    -will Stewart be back behind the bench?
    -any last minute recruits?
    -captains?
    -will Grasso get his redshirt year?

Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

HR's predicts on off season speculations! (not that you are asking for my predicts, but, here they are anyhoo!)

New asst coach: Former UNH Player with Dman background, coaches D at current gig. Has professional hockey background (at some level)
    Stewie returns as asst coach
    Yes on last min recruits (I mean...hope?)
    Captains: Naz and Vela (or, Richie B???)
    Grasso Red Shirt: no idea. if Dan's formula sticks no?

I have no idea about the above really, just speculating. I do know one thing for sure....something big is going to happen. I don't know what, I just know. BAHAHAHAHAHA Stay tuned to "How the Whitt Turns" in the loooonnnnggggg off season folks! Good thread to start Nifty16 hope others contribute!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      HR's predicts on off season speculations! (not that you are asking for my predicts, but, here they are anyhoo!)

New asst coach: Former UNH Player with Dman background, coaches D at current gig. Has professional hockey background (at some level)
      Stewie returns as asst coach
      Yes on last min recruits (I mean...hope?)
      Captains: Naz and Vela (or, Richie B???)
      Grasso Red Shirt: no idea. if Dan's formula sticks no?

I have no idea about the above really, just speculating. I do know one thing for sure....something big is going to happen. I don't know what, I just know. BAHAHAHAHAHA Stay tuned to "How the Whitt Turns" in the loooonnnnggggg off season folks! Good thread to start Nifty16 hope others contribute!
      Got me intrigued with the coach. Agree with the captain picks will go with Vela but it’s close. Hopefully get some last minute recruits , hopefully some D, really think that need more

Comment

Out with the old ... in with more of the same old, same old, I'm afraid.

* New assistant coach will be a huge call, and an important first decision for Coach Souza;
        * Coach Stewart has already stuck around two years longer than I'd figured, so he's comfy and will stay;
        * If there aren't any last minute recruits other than Taylor to step in for next season, it's gonna get uglier;
        * For a program in a leadership vacuum for several years now, another head-scratcher looms (Miller/Cefalu?);
        * Grasso won't get a redshirt. Maybe HE'LL be the captain as a junior instead? Nothing would surprise me.

But really, the first issue is the biggest for the long haul, and by a wide margin. Second isn't really even close ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

[QUOTE=Chuck Murray;6617120]Out with the old ... in with more of the same old, same old, I'm afraid.

* New assistant coach will be a huge call, and an important first decision for Coach Souza;
          * Coach Stewart has already stuck around two years longer than I'd figured, so he's comfy and will stay;
          * If there aren't any last minute recruits other than Taylor to step in for next season, it's gonna get uglier;
          * For a program in a leadership vacuum for several years now, another head-scratcher looms (Miller/Cefalu?);
          * Grasso won't get a redshirt. Maybe HE'LL be the captain as a junior instead? Nothing would surprise me.

But really, the first issue is the biggest for the long haul, and by a wide margin. Second isn't really even close ...[/QUOTAgree that the new coach as the most important. Not excepting much next year to be honest more looking at who they get for 2-3 years from now. Hoping they get some one deep connections His first hire will be his most important. Only hope next year is an improvement thru out the year and not like this year start off hot and fall of the cliff fast.

Comment

What? Is our season over? How can that be? Tirone made 80 saves the past two games in Orono. That alone should qualify us for another chance, right? Just like the NCAA should make an exception, change the formula, and give Garaso a red shirt for the 2020-2021 season.

His name came up for the new assistant coach in the last thread, which still has space for another 250+ posts BTW, and I think that Mark White is the likely new guy in town. He has experience at Brown and Bentley, and fits right into the UNH "we are family first" concept. So, yes, of course, Stewart will be back.

As for the next captain and associate captain(s), I think that we see players who did not score double digit goals this past season. Tough luck for Blackburn, who likely played himself out of that position this weekend in Orono.

Is there any money left in the scholarship coffers to bring in some late blue chippahs or Finns? If not, bring in more New Hampshire walk-on kids. Be more like the Minnesota Gophers, I say. How embarrassing to have had a New Hampshire kid on the Black Bears play hard against us this weekend.
            Last edited by Snively65; 03-04-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
              Figure time to move on, plenty to keep an eye on during the off season

-new assistant coach, who will it be
              -will Stewart be back behind the bench?
              -any last minute recruits?
              -captains?
              -will Grasso get his redshirt year?
              Predictions:
              New Assistant - White (Does nothing for recruiting)
              Stewart - back
              Captains - Vela (C), Boyd (A), Miller (A)
              New 2018 Recruits - Maybe an F (maybe) / No room on D
              Grasso Redshirt* - Letter of law says nope

* I'm really interested in where Aerman heard of potential for Grasso remaining eligible for a medical hardship. Was it from another fan unaware of NCAA bylaws of from the AD (in)directly under the assumption they have a case for an appeal.

Grasso meets all standards except for having played too many games. The NCAA rule is clear - 30% of your teams games. Anyone who wants to review the actual NCAA rules can do a google search for the 2017-18 NCAA Division I manual and download the PDF for free. If you're better at reading legalese than I am maybe you can understand where a UNH appeal may come from. The hardship waiver is covered under bylaw 12...

In reviewing the bylaw myself I think I may have been mistaken in assuming he ever had a chance. He played in 12 games, so the question is his denominator. The rule book says 'scheduled' games. So I think that essentially means regular season and a determined game-count for conference tournaments. The bylaw mentions one game for the conference tournament no matter how far you advance. In hockey maybe that number would be two - since two post season games are guaranteed for everyone with all leagues having best 2-of-3 first rounds. Basically this rule would keep the denominator the same for everyone and would eliminate a sceanrio in which two players play just 12 games, but one gets a hardship waiver because his team is better and advances further...

30% of 36 games is 10.8 - which means the target numerator is 11. Grasso is at 12. He shouldn't be eligible for a waiver unless UNH has a reason to appeal and get special circumstances.

For example, if they argue the numerator should actually be 11 and he dressed (in case he could go) for one of those 12 games but didn't actually play. Maybe they could argue the denominator should be 37 - a full three game first-round series (though the bylaw seems to specifically nix this). That would put 30% at 11.1 - rounded up to 12....

I can't think of an appeal they might have that would work and I don't know the NCAA to be flexible with their rules. But who knows...

Assuming Aerman heard the hopeful news by way of the athletic department - that might indicate they think they have grounds. Otherwise, don't count on it...
              Last edited by Dan; 03-04-2018, 06:43 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Thinking about the immediate future of UNH Hockey is pretty depressing. To think they finished last in a league that included such teams as Merrimack, UMass, UVM and UConn is embarrassing, or at least it should be. On to the Bruins and the Sox. Wake me up when Souza chooses an assistant. Please let the choice be somewhat outside the box.

Comment

I doubt that White ends up as the new assistant. I know that he's a "comfortable" choice as far as Souza is concerned, but I like to think that they're going to dig a bit deeper to bring in someone else. We're too inbred as it is, we need someone outside of UNH, IMHO.

- Captains - Vela (C), Miller (A), Grasso (A)

- A couple of Euro-mercenaries will be a nice get.

- Grasso will get a redshirt after a lengthy appeal process.

Edit: Stewie will remain where he is.
                  Last edited by Scott; 03-04-2018, 07:45 PM.
                  UNH

Comment

UNH must do three things this summer in order to get back in track....

1) Souza MUST search far and wide for the best recruiter he can find. He needs to ask around to all of the top head coaches and recruiters and find out who they think is the best recruiter available - either at another school and dur a raise or promotion or the next guy on the horizon in junior hockey.

2) He needs to turn that guy loose with a directive to get aggressive and proactive towards high-end talent.

3) They need to find two more top-six talents to bring in for next fall. The offense was the issue this season and will he for the foreseeable future if they can't convince top talents to come to Durham ASAP.

If they fail to do these three things than next year won't be much different from this season and the future will be up in the air...

---

...All that said (OPTIMISM ALERT), there's no doubt in my mind UNH has a better finish next year. They should certainly finish, at worst, (PESSIMISM ALERT) in tenth ahead of Merrimack...

MC loses its top three scorers and two of its top-three defensemen, including the most underrated player in HE in Brett Seney. They should be very shaky next year. Just ahead of them UNH will be in the mix with UVM, and perhaps UConn (if Letunov departs).

The rest of the schools will likely be out of UNHs range next season (as things currently stand and without a notable number of extreme breakout performances)...

UMass is about to lap UNH. Ten of their top 11 scorers are FR or SO. Their very good young goalie is a FR. If they return their two FR defenseman - or even just Ferraro - they'll take a big jump. They also add the top scorer from the USHL.

UML will be better next year, likely led by two elite goaltenders when Wall gets his act together.

Northeastern takes a big step back, graduating/losing most of its offense, but will have Primeau and some nice pieces.

Early departures will be interesting at PC, but they'll still be solid at least.

Maine is still coached by Gendron, but will grow with experience and add two nice scoring pieces.

BC/BU will both return just about everybody important sans Greenway (at BU) and maybe, their goaltenders. Both, especially BU, add big recruiting classes too. Next year we can finally put to rest the idea that BUs recruiting is broken. They'll be loaded and experienced and the preseason favorite...
                    Last edited by Dan; 03-04-2018, 08:14 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Based on the current roster, were left with this group that will have a hard time finishing higher than tenth unless two of the top six blow up and score 40-45 points, with the rest turning out 25+...

BVR - Blackburn - Grasso
                      Crookshank - Nazarian - Kelleher
                      Fregona - Vela - MacAdams
                      Cefalu - Miller - Cippolone/Sato

At least for next season - the D should be better with another year of experience. Assuming one of the FR can be at least steady (to give them a solid top four) and what I think will be better goaltending. Long term D health is another story...

Gildon - Maass
                      Wyse - Verrier
                      Green/Dawson - Boyd

Taylor/Robinson
                      Lazzarro
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Based on the current roster, were left with this group that will have a hard time finishing higher than tenth unless two of the top six blow up and score 40-45 points, with the rest turning out 25+...

BVR - Blackburn - Grasso
                        Crookshank - Nazarian - Kelleher
                        Fregona - Vela - MacAdams
                        Cefalu - Miller - Cippolone/Sato

At least for next season - the D should be better with another year of experience. Assuming one of the FR can be at least steady (to give them a solid top four) and what I think will be better goaltending. Long term D health is another story...

Gildon - Maass
                        Wyse - Verrier
                        Green/Dawson - Boyd

Taylor/Robinson
                        Lazzarro
                        I think that your top two lines, top two D pairs, and goal tending can be better next year. But, the depth and PP are worrisome.

Comment

I have had a little time to reflect on the past season - and really I am ready to just forget about it. However, I fear we have not yet bottomed out. I think 2018-19 will be worse (if that is possible- or at least no better). I don't think we have the right guy taking over, I wish I felt differently but he has been on board for the past 3 years- the absolute worse run I have seen since becoming a fan of this program. He has a LONG way to go to prove to me he can handle this job. I think we have a couple more awful years then open it up for a National Search. It is impossible to be the guy to replace Umile, given the long track record of success and all he was able to do over the first 25 years; but I think MS hasn't been set up well for this. We need a fresh start with a new HC and system. It is time to hit the refresh button- but the U doesn't feel that way. Continuity is dreadful under these circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                            I have had a little time to reflect on the past season - and really I am ready to just forget about it. However, I fear we have not yet bottomed out. I think 2018-19 will be worse (if that is possible- or at least no better). I don't think we have the right guy taking over, I wish I felt differently but he has been on board for the past 3 years- the absolute worse run I have seen since becoming a fan of this program. He has a LONG way to go to prove to me he can handle this job. I think we have a couple more awful years then open it up for a National Search. It is impossible to be the guy to replace Umile, given the long track record of success and all he was able to do over the first 25 years; but I think MS hasn't been set up well for this. We need a fresh start with a new HC and system. It is time to hit the refresh button- but the U doesn't feel that way. Continuity is dreadful under these circumstances.
                            Makes you really wonder doesn't it...and how much income UNH Athletics can sustain if the team continues to tank. Or, maybe the income piece isn't that important but you'd think it would be. Someone told me that hockey once provided enough income to help sustain the athletic dept but you'd have to wonder now. I know they count on football/hockey revenues because obviously; that's where the majority of the UNH fan base is found numbers wise. I would think that there's gotta be some kind of 'you get xyz' years to turn this ship around kind of thing, but, we fans, will never know if that's what's going around. For now, we can only look at the results...because they are really all that matter and show what the story truly is. As I have said and continue to say, I am hopeful Mike Souza can make big inroads but I also know what we need to compete and win; hoping those players develop and, show up to do so. (As in show up....I mean they are recruited) If he can bring in those players, we gotta fighting chance...
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-08-2018, 09:57 AM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                              I think that it is delusional to think that there will be any kind of term limit for the new HC, regardless how the team performs over the next few years. Unless the new HC loses it and tries to strangle one of his players on the bench, or becomes terminally ill, he probably has a lifetime appointment, like all of his predecessors. Likely the only way that BS35+5 was able to get the HC to step down was to allow him to appoint his own successor. How many Div 1 hockey programs work this way?

HR, I am assuming that you mean LOSS OF income from diminishing attendance. I do not think that this loss concerns the UNH admin when it comes to coaching appointments, because as they look around at other schools, they see the same drop off in attendance, even at schools with much more successful programs. The full house attendance ship sailed a few years ago across college hockey.

I actually think that this HC is an easy one to succeed, as just about anything will be an improvement over the past three years. I am still convinced that next year will be better than this past one, as long as the new HC goes back to a conventional 5-3 PP. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X