2017-18 St. Cloud State Season Thread - Second Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 St. Cloud State Season Thread - Second Attempt

Both semi finals games and the championship are on CBS Sports. The consolation game on Saturday is not televised.

I think one win will be enough to keep them in the overall #1 seed. I ran some numbers in the pairwise predictor and it appears that North Dakota, even win just win, will remain at #14 in the pairwise. Since 15 (WCHA) and 16 (Atlantic) are already taking those bottom 2 slots, any other upsets would bump the Green Plague out.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      No...but their were massive lack of execution issues...especially the 1st period in every game.
      This team trusts their ability to come back but man they can't keep doing it and survive.
      Not sure I'd call them "massive" but there certainly were execution issues. To me part of the issue is their unwillingness to play "ugly". The pretty tic tac toe passing isn't always going to work and so you have to be willing to just dump it in and grind away, throw pucks at the net, etc. Create those ugly chances. Miami did a good job keeping them outside and it seemed at times they got frustrated with it - they kept trying to make the extra "pretty" pass and the result was often a rush in the opposite direction.
      Last edited by Dirty Bottles; 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM.
      "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
        Not sure I'd call them "massive" but there certainly were execution issues. To me part of the issue is their unwillingness to play "ugly". The pretty tic tac toe passing isn't always going to work and so you have to be willing to just dump it in and grind away, throw pucks at the net, etc. Create those ugly chances. Miami did a good job keeping them outside and it seemed at times they got frustrated with it - they kept trying to make the extra "pretty" pass and the result was often a rush in the opposite direction.
        I think part of that is we need a couple big bodies who are willing to really mix it up. A few of our forwards have some decent size, but they're not utilizing that size. It might be the flaw in Motzko's style, trying to keep the team from the PK as much as possible. He may very well have coached the team into being overly averse to the physical game. That kills teams going into the NCAAs.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

That's just not how they play. A heavy, physical game is not suited for this team. This team relies on speed, creativity, and depth, especially at home on the big ice. I think that's partially why they have trouble against WMU. The Broncos are generally a bigger team that plays a more physical brand of hockey. If they run into a team like that in the NCAAs on a smaller rink it could be trouble (I don't know who that team is).

I like this team to beat North Dakota later today and advance to the final on Saturday. Gonna be tough opponents both games regardless of who it is.

Comment

Bring back Chris Hepp!
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Mostzko is gone. No way he doesn't take the Gophers job
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep drinking Tipsy...
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Keep drinking Tipsy...
                    It was a joke ma'am. Just having a little fun

Comment

It was a joke ma'am. Just having a little fun
                      You can still keep drinkin...especially with that spelling of Motzko.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

You can still keep drinkin...especially with that spelling of Motzko.
                        Busted. Hahaha, ok gonna carry out your marching orders, against my will.

Comment

Hardware would gave been lovely but we have won that one before. Hard enough to rattle off four in a row, seven would have been super tough. Hope we had our slip up yesterday and roll on from here. Getting back to the X is way more important than sweeping at the X this weekend. One game st a time... #JWF
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Kind of a BS regional we got stuck with but the boys were gonna have to beat some very good teams to win a title anyway.

Comment

Its pretty obvious they moved Duluth and Mankato there for attendance purposes and traded them with some eastern teams. I'm ok with that and I like the 3 local teams playing there. It would be a great regional to attend too. Denver played such a good, structured, defensive game last night. They deserved to win. St Cloud is a deep, talented, offensive team and they really couldn't generate much because of how well Denver played their scheme. Focus and prepare for Air Force now. We do not want a repeat of what happened against Ferris State two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                                Its pretty obvious they moved Duluth and Mankato there for attendance purposes and traded them with some eastern teams. I'm ok with that and I like the 3 local teams playing there. It would be a great regional to attend too. Denver played such a good, structured, defensive game last night. They deserved to win. St Cloud is a deep, talented, offensive team and they really couldn't generate much because of how well Denver played their scheme. Focus and prepare for Air Force now. We do not want a repeat of what happened against Ferris State two years ago.
                                Sioux Falls is already sold out, Mr. Obvious

Comment

Working...
                                X