Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

2 weeks left in some regular seasons, so the Conference Playoffs loom, and no thread that I could find yet.

Current PWR gaps:
    I'll post this ranking by RPI, since it really is the main feature these days (top of the table notwithstanding)
    SCSU and NoDame on top
    Denver and Cornell next
    Mankato, Ohio State
    Clarkson
    Minnesota
    then everyone else, with no big gaps anywhere.

Significant features in the table:
    Minnesota loses the compare to Michigan (which can only flip if they play them in the B10 playoffs) and UMD (which can flip via CommOpp if UMD gets a bad result)
    Denver wins the compare with St Cloud by slight margins in CommOpp and H2H in spite of St Cloud having a large lead in RPI. (Whether that is fair or not is another matter)

Practically speaking:
    The 4 at the top are very likely the #1 seeds. That means St Cloud goes to Sioux Falls most likely, and whether that's good or bad depends on where NoDak ends up.

Mankato, tOSU, Clarkson probably will be #2s.

The last #2 and the rest of the field is up in the air, although Minnesota has a fairly safe track to the 2/3 band.

Because of non-conference results, the field will skew heavily west. Right now, the field is:
    B10:4
    NCHC: 6
    WCHA: 1 by PWR qualification, NOT a low ranking auto-bid team
    ECAC: 2
    HE: 2 (neither BC nor BU, of all things)
    AHA: Whoever is the auto-bid.

That makes the bracket unusual. Every Eastern team in the field would be within driving range of Allentown, were the field East-heavy. Only Ohio State is, among the western teams. Which means that there is a very real chance of east/west crossovers this time around.

Presently:
    Sioux Falls: SCSU (1), Mankato (because of the 5-12 game), NoDak (12), AHA champ (16)
    Allentown: Notre Dame (3), OSU (6 - bus, not fly), Omaha or Duluth (10/11), N'Eastern (14 - bus, and NoDame can't play Mich)
    East: Denver (2), Prov (8), Minn (9), Michigan (15)
    Northeast: Cornell (4), Clarkson (7), Omaha/Duluth (10/11), W Mich (13)

Which gives 8 flights. 9 flights if you swap Clarkson for OSU, which I would do for the sake of mixing the leagues in the regionals, which a committee almost never gets a chance to do like they have this year.

Anyone got input?
    Last edited by Numbers; 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM.

Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

With so few projected Eastern teams this year you really want to get Cornell in East-Bridgeport, CT and Providence in Northeast-Worcester for attendance purposes. Opposite of what you have here. Just swap those two entire regionals.
    Last edited by Tater; 02-12-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

y'all need to look at the big group of nacho teams that risk falling under .500 and thus automatically dropped from the at-large list. they have tough games remaining in the reg season, then 2 may have to travel on the road in the first round and risk 0-2 weekends to cap off their early death.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        y'all need to look at the big group of nacho teams that risk falling under .500 and thus automatically dropped from the at-large list. they have tough games remaining in the reg season, then 2 may have to travel on the road in the first round and risk 0-2 weekends to cap off their early death.
        Do you mean the old TUC level of over .500 RPI? They got rid of that several years ago. I'm pretty sure an < .500 team still can qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
          Do you mean the old TUC level of over .500 RPI? They got rid of that several years ago. I'm pretty sure an < .500 team still can qualify.
          No...actual record. A team below .500 can't make the tourney outside the autobid.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Teams must have played at least 20 D-1 games and must have a winning percentage over .500

[http://www.uscho.com/faq/ncaa-selection-process
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

no.

what they said...

Comment

Obligatory post about how people keep talking about us.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Obligatory post about how people keep talking about us.
                  Clarkson gets the autobid for beating RPI three times.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

With so few projected Eastern teams this year you really want to get Cornell in East-Bridgeport, CT and Providence in Northeast-Worcester for attendance purposes. Opposite of what you have here. Just swap those two entire regionals.
                    Tater....

I confess. I am a westerner, and to me, all those eastern venues are really close to each other, so I didn't even take a close look where they are being played. Thanks for the details. I appreciate it.

What's more interesting is that the eastern teams, at present, are not big draws, either.

Anyone have any information on the future of the regionals? Hosting on campus discussion, etc?

Comment

If one of the NCHC teams ends up DQ'd on win %, the next 3 teams are still from the west: No Mich, Penn State, Bowling Green. Penn State has the same issue with its win %age. And, one other comment: There will likely be a tourney upset along the way, especially in WCHA, or the eastern leagues, because those leagues have only a small number of current qualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                        If one of the NCHC teams ends up DQ'd on win %, the next 3 teams are still from the west: No Mich, Penn State, Bowling Green. Penn State has the same issue with its win %age. And, one other comment: There will likely be a tourney upset along the way, especially in WCHA, or the eastern leagues, because those leagues have only a small number of current qualifiers.
                        Hmmmmm.

So? How does “nacho”relate to anything else?

Comment

And Pennsylvania isn’t west.

Chit, big ten isn’t west.
                          Maryland and New Jersey are not west

Comment

I cannot wait to see the Allentown Regional on TV. Are they offering a BOGO deal?

Comment

Hmmmmm.

So? How does “nacho”relate to anything else?
                              It's 'nacho' year if that's what happens to you.

However, in the sense that such an occurrence, which you brought up (and, thanks, btw - good catch) opens more room in the NCAA field, I was commenting on how it might affect the bracket.

Comment

Working...
                              X