Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Be that as it may, his point that the tournament is not going to have many teams located in the Eastern part of the country still stands. Even if two of UNO, UMD, UND and WMU drop out of the top 14 or have a record below .500, the teams replacing them would probably not be from the East, minus Penn State.

Out of those, I really only see WMU as likely to fall out of the top 14 or dip below .500.
    UNO is one game above .500, has 4 of their last 6 at home. If they can split with UND and sweep CC, they'd only need to win one game at UMD or in the playoffs.
    UMD is one game above .500, has 4 of their last 6 at home. Home vs. Miami, at WMU, home vs. UNO. They will win 4 of 6 and be in.
    Nodak is 4 games above .500, has only 2 of their last 6 at home. At UNO, at Miami, home vs SCSU. They only need to win 3 of their last 6 to get in the tournament.
    WMU is one game above .500, has 4 of their last 6 at home. Hosting UMD and SCSU, at CC. Without Allison and Conrad, I don't see them winning more than 2 of those games.
    Let me try this Tipsy.....
    For Omaha, Duluth and NoDak, if we assume 3 pts versus CC and Miami, then we get:
    Omaha: +2 with 2 games vs NoDak and 2 vs UMD
    UMD: +2 with 2 games vs WMU and 2 vs Omaha
    NoDak: +5 with 2 left vs Omaha, and vs SCSU.
    WMU: +2 with 2 left with Duluth and SCSU.

If everyone splits with each other, they are all in, except that WMU needs a result v St Cloud and/or in the 1/4 Finals.

I suppose that works, but I think there might be a chance it goes haywire, too, with a Miami sweep in there somewhere, or even a split rather than 3 pts vs CC

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      For Omaha, Duluth and NoDak, if we assume 3 pts versus CC and Miami, then we get:

If everyone splits with each other, they are all in, except that WMU needs a result v St Cloud and/or in the 1/4 Finals.

I suppose that works, but I think there might be a chance it goes haywire, too, with a Miami sweep in there somewhere, or even a split rather than 3 pts vs CC
      There might be a chance Miami and WMU win out, too. An incredibly slim one. My post is just my guess as to how it will play out. In my opinion, UMD and North Dakota will definitely be in. WMU will definitely not. UNO could go either way. Given their total ineptitude in the playoffs (UNO has not won a first round series since joining the WCHA in 2010-11), I think they need to win 4 of their next 6.
      Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I don't see either WMU or Omaha making it.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          Based on the Beanpot attendance, Northeastern would pack Worcester if they end up there.
          I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "pack." The Beanpot has a uniquely strong emotional pull for the Beanpot school fan bases (well, at least for three of them) that doesn't necessarily translate to NCAA regionals. OTOH, the NCAA powers that be had to take notice of the enormity of the NU Beanpot crowd and reason that at least a slice of that would buck up attendance at either Worcester or Bridgeport. Then there's Jeff Konya, the brand new AD, who seems to be marketing and promotion-minded and would likely see putting butts in the seats as a good way to advance the NU brand.

And FWIW, NU managed to turn out at least a semi-respectable crowd in Cincinnati two years ago (I was there), despite the fact that Cincy wasn't the easiest airport to get to and air fares from Boston were outrageous.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by ralph baer View Post
            clarkson gets the autobid for beatingshutting out rpi three times.
            fyp.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Don't forget in the coming weeks. Lots of information at Jim Dahl's website

collegehockeyranked.com

He even has a simulator for games yet to be played. Likely this is the best way to work through the scenarios of the early rounds of the conf playoffs

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                FWIW, NU managed to turn out at least a semi-respectable crowd in Cincinnati two years ago (I was there), despite the fact that Cincy wasn't the easiest airport to get to and air fares from Boston were outrageous.
                I drove there because of the absurd prices. Whoever thought it was smart to have a regional in Cincinnati the same weekend as the basketball final four (Or Elite Eight or something) was a stone throw away in Louisville deserves to be removed from any decision making ever.

But yeah, NU would pull their weight and not much more. They aren't a main attraction, they're a good undercard.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  I drove there because of the absurd prices. Whoever thought it was smart to have a regional in Cincinnati the same weekend as the basketball final four (Or Elite Eight or something) was a stone throw away in Louisville deserves to be removed from any decision making ever.

But yeah, NU would pull their weight and not much more. They aren't a main attraction, they're a good undercard.
                  You are so right on the choice of location for the regional. But, there probably weren't any other bids. I would venture a guess that, since they started the 4 regionals system, there has not been one Midwest Regional that made money for its host. Not Grand Rapids, Mich. Not Cincinnati. etc. (Possible exception would be NoDame hosting on campus). No one wants to host it. That's why it's in Allentown this year.

Comment

I'm wondering if this situation finally tips the NCAA in favor of campus sites somehow.
                    Let’s hope not!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                      Let’s hope not!
                      Agreed. The TV coverage will not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                        Let’s hope not!
                        Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                        Agreed. The TV coverage will not be there.
                        I'm not sure what you fellows are actually saying. I would be envisioning something like:

Top 4 seeds host the regionals. In this year's case, that means SCSU, NoDame, Denver and Cornell. I can't speak for Cornell, but I can say that the other 3 schools have just fine facilities for whoever is the Broadcaster to set up and Televise the games from that venue.

I can see someone's point that a campus site offers an unfair advantage to the host school, but the idea would be that the host schools have earned that by being the top-4 seeds.

Such campus sites would guarantee full crowds, and a great atmosphere, instead of the present empty seats for the regionals....

What am I missing here?

Comment

I'm not sure what you fellows are actually saying. I would be envisioning something like:

Top 4 seeds host the regionals. In this year's case, that means SCSU, NoDame, Denver and Cornell. I can't speak for Cornell, but I can say that the other 3 schools have just fine facilities for whoever is the Broadcaster to set up and Televise the games from that venue.

I can see someone's point that a campus site offers an unfair advantage to the host school, but the idea would be that the host schools have earned that by being the top-4 seeds.

Such campus sites would guarantee full crowds, and a great atmosphere, instead of the present empty seats for the regionals....

What am I missing here?
                          Cheel Arena capacity: 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Cheel Arena capacity: 3000.
                            How many are actually going to be in the seats at Allentown?

Comment

What am I missing here?
                              Possible problems:
                              Season ticket holders upset they can't get tourney tickets due to the allotment system
                              Very small arenas. Most hold less than 5k. In the northeast this could be an issue due to the close proximity of the schools involved
                              Tying up their arenas when other profitable events could be held.
                              ESPN not providing the coverage.

I'm not a fan of on campus sites. If the NCAA gives a school an onsite regional years before a tourney so be it. To decide a site a few weeks before the games could be difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                                Possible problems:
                                Season ticket holders upset they can't get tourney tickets due to the allotment system
                                Very small arenas. Most hold less than 5k. In the northeast this could be an issue due to the close proximity of the schools involved
                                Tying up their arenas when other profitable events could be held.
                                ESPN not providing the coverage.

I'm not a fan of on campus sites. If the NCAA gives a school an onsite regional years before a tourney so be it. To decide a site a few weeks before the games could be difficult.
                                Do you see relatively empty regional arenas as a problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X