Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
    And yet somehow the Big Ten has at least four and possibly five teams in the field of 16.

Maybe, just MAYBE... the NCHC is nowhere near as strong as they were last year.
    The NCHC's depth isn't quite as good as it was in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. That being said, SCSU and Denver might be the two best teams in the country, and Duluth is capable of winning it all...if they get in.

Of course, the beauty of the NCAA Tournament is that it shows what conference is truly the best. The last two years, it wasn't even close. We'll see what happens this season.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
      And yet somehow the Big Ten has at least four and possibly five teams in the field of 16.

Maybe, just MAYBE... the NCHC is nowhere near as strong as they were last year.
      Yea!! Davek’s mom gave him posting privileges this weekend!!!
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

North Dakota's win eliminates Boston College.

3 spots left for 5 teams.

Minnesota clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with:
        SCSU win; OR
        Northern Michigan win; OR
        Ohio State win; OR
        Robert Morris win; OR
        Providence win; OR
        Clarkson win.

Minnesota Duluth clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with:
        Providence win; OR
        Clarkson win; OR
        SCSU, Northern Michigan, Ohio State, AND Robert Morris lose

North Dakota clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with:
        Providence win AND Clarkson win

Boston University clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with win.

Princeton clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with win.
        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          The NCHC's depth isn't quite as good as it was in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. That being said, SCSU and Denver might be the two best teams in the country, and Duluth is capable of winning it all...if they get in.

Of course, the beauty of the NCAA Tournament is that it shows what conference is truly the best. The last two years, it wasn't even close. We'll see what happens this season.
          SCSU and Denver are among the top 6 to 8 teams, but to call them the two best is pretty bold. I think that Notre Dame, Cornell, Ohio State, Minnesota State, Clarkson, Providence, Michigan, and Northeastern are all right up there with Denver and SCSU.
          National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
          National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

North Dakota's win eliminates Boston College.

3 spots left for 5 teams.

Minnesota clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with:
            SCSU win; OR
            Northern Michigan win; OR
            Ohio State win; OR
            Robert Morris win; OR
            Providence win; OR
            Clarkson win.

Minnesota Duluth clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with:
            Providence win; OR
            Clarkson win; OR
            SCSU, Northern Michigan, Ohio State, AND Robert Morris lose

North Dakota clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with:
            Providence win AND Clarkson win

Boston University clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with win.

Princeton clinches spot in NCAA Tournament with win.
            I think, if I have run the possibilities correctly...

North Dakota will eliminated with a victory by either Princeton or BU
            MN-Duluth will be eliminated with victories by both Princeton and BU

Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.
            National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
            National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

I think, if I have run the possibilities correctly...

North Dakota will eliminated with a victory by either Princeton or BU
              MN-Duluth will be eliminated with victories by both Princeton and BU

Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.
              I believe if Providence, Clarkson, SCSU, Northern Michigan, Ohio State, AND Robert Morris lose, then Minnesota is eliminated, and Minnesota Duluth gets in.
              North Dakota

Comment

SCSU and Denver are among the top 6 to 8 teams, but to call them the two best is pretty bold. I think that Notre Dame, Cornell, Ohio State, Minnesota State, Clarkson, Providence, Michigan, and Northeastern are all right up there with Denver and SCSU.
                FWIW, I said might be the two best teams in the country. Again, that's the beauty of the NCAA Tournament...we'll find out next weekend what conferences really had the best, and what conferences were a joke.
                North Dakota

Comment

I believe if Providence, Clarkson, SCSU, Northern Michigan, Ohio State, AND Robert Morris lose, then Minnesota is eliminated, and Minnesota Duluth gets in.
                  This is correct from multiple sources, including my own research. What it amounts to, for Minnesota, is that they need ONE result out of 6 games tonight.
                  UMD need ONE result out of 2 games, OR ALL the results from 4 games.
                  NoDak needs BOTH results from 2 games
                  BU and Princeton simply need to win themselves.

Comment

FWIW, I said might be the two best teams in the country. Again, that's the beauty of the NCAA Tournament...we'll find out next weekend what conferences really had the best, and what conferences were a joke.
                    The best conference is the one with the most teams in the tournament. Next weekend we'll find out who the best teams are, because the thing is just because a team does well that doesn't represent all of the non-tournament teams in their conference. For example, let's say just as a hypothetical scenario what if Air Force wins a national championship... does that make Atlantic Hockey the best conference? Of course not. If Denver and SCSU both end up in the national championship game then maybe you can make a case for the NCHC even if Duluth ends up one and done or possibly on the outside looking in, but at the end of the day the Big Ten has been a much deeper conference than the NCHC this year. I don't think any objective person would dispute that.

23 > 21

Comment

The best conference is the one with the most teams in the tournament. Next weekend we'll find out who the best teams are, because the thing is just because a team does well that doesn't represent all of the non-tournament teams in their conference. For example, let's say just as a hypothetical scenario what if Air Force wins a national championship... does that make Atlantic Hockey the best conference? Of course not. If Denver and SCSU both end up in the national championship game then maybe you can make a case for the NCHC even if Duluth ends up one and done or possibly on the outside looking in, but at the end of the day the Big Ten has been a much deeper conference than the NCHC this year. I don't think any objective person would dispute that.
                      This is true, but needs a little explanation. The vast majority of OOC games take place early in the season, and those are the only games that give us any results to judge which conference is better. This year, in particular, the B10 had better results in those games than they typically have had. And, NCHC was worse than they typically are. Those were 3 months ago and more, but they still tilt the field toward the B10. That's true in any OBJECTIVE ranking system. Including the KRACH or KASA (which includes home-ice) which are so beloved on this web site.

However, it could easily be true that, IN THIS INSTANT, the B10 is not the best conference. The most we can say is that, 'Collectively, the B10 had the best OOC results this year.'

Comment

St Cloud will be the #1 seed in Sioux Falls or Bridgeport
                        The Notre Dame/OSU winner will be the #1 seed in Allentown
                        Cornell will be the #1 seed in Worcester
                        Ohio State/Notre Dame loser will be the #1 seed in Bridgeport or Sioux Falls

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          This is true, but needs a little explanation. The vast majority of OOC games take place early in the season, and those are the only games that give us any results to judge which conference is better. This year, in particular, the B10 had better results in those games than they typically have had. And, NCHC was worse than they typically are. Those were 3 months ago and more, but they still tilt the field toward the B10. That's true in any OBJECTIVE ranking system. Including the KRACH or KASA (which includes home-ice) which are so beloved on this web site.

However, it could easily be true that, IN THIS INSTANT, the B10 is not the best conference. The most we can say is that, 'Collectively, the B10 had the best OOC results this year.'
                          Okay, hypothetical scenario...

Let’s say out of 4 or 5 teams among the field of 16, three of them win their first game in the tournament and at least one of them goes to the Frozen Four it’ll solidify the case I’m making for the Big Ten as the best conference in college hockey for the 2017-18 season.

23 > 21

Comment

Air Force leads Bobby Mo 4-0.

St Cloud vs AFA in Sioux Falls or Bridgeport.

Comment

Okay, hypothetical scenario...

Let’s say out of 4 or 5 teams among the field of 16, three of them win their first game in the tournament and at least one of them goes to the Frozen Four it’ll solidify the case I’m making for the Big Ten as the best conference in college hockey for the 2017-18 season.
                              I'm a Minnesota fan, so I tend to be with you. But, continuing your hypothetical:
                              Suppose 2 of the three who won their first game were outshot 33-19 or some such thing, and the one who went to the F4 won a 3OT thriller with 2 amazing saves by their own goalie in the 2nd OT???

Point being: One and done hockey results don't really say much.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Air Force leads Bobby Mo 4-0.

St Cloud vs AFA in Sioux Falls or Bridgeport.
                                Is Denver out of a #1 now?

Comment

Working...
                                X