This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Rossi you're not very smart. York coached at Bowling Green and Clarkson before BC. Plus, the success he has had at BC is unmatched by any previous BC coach. He himself elevated BC to an elite program by winning national titles. BC only had one ancient one back in 1949 pre York. A good coach is a good coach. Like Bazin at Lowell and Walsh at Maine.

Comment

Well, isn't it ironic that Maine put the last nail in DU's coffin?

Onward and upward we go from here.

Women's BBall is carrying the UNH torch today. America East semi-final rematch as they play Maine in Portland. Go Cats!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Rossi you're not very smart. York coached at Bowling Green and Clarkson before BC. Plus, the success he has had at BC is unmatched by any previous BC coach. He himself elevated BC to an elite program by winning national titles. BC only had one ancient one back in 1949 pre York. A good coach is a good coach. Like Bazin at Lowell and Walsh at Maine.
        Bingo.

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        An argument can be made that, based on strength of schedule, this edition of the Wildcats is the worst in their Division 1 history. I was around for the debacle that straddled the Holt/Kullen era, and it was god awful. But there were no losses to Bentley and Army back then, only beatdowns by the likes of Minnesota, Wisconsin and the like. This was a truly bad team this year. They did not have one player who would be a starter for any team in Hockey East that even has a ghost of a chance of making the NCAA tournament. One double digit goal scorer on the roster? And it took 35 games to achieve it! Even if Mike Souza becomes the second coming of Jerry York, it will still take awhile, at least four years,,before the program is relevant. What a disgrace.
        Yahtzee.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Looks like the UNH sports staff is equally invested in excellence.
          http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2018/3/3/mens-ice-hockey-game-day-unh-0-maine-0-1st-period.aspx

Maine took a 3-1 lead with a power play goal by Tralmaks with 2:28 left in the third period.
          The Wildcats then went with an empty net with 2:04 remaining in the third period but were unable to find the back of the net for the 3-1 final score.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Looks like the UNH sports staff is equally invested in excellence.
            http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2018...st-period.aspx

Maine took a 3-1 lead with a power play goal by Tralmaks with 2:28 left in the third period.
            The Wildcats then went with an empty net with 2:04 remaining in the third period but were unable to find the back of the net for the 3-1 final score.
            I know I posted my final post with about that much time left in the period, before Maass got his goal, was thinking "uh oh I'm going to have to delete that if they tie it"...guess they were in the same mode...Wow. Will be interesting to read all of the final stories about the season, not that I don't already know firsthand how it went...Perhaps who ever put that story together was equally as ready for the season to end...

EDIT: Re-reading the story they have the score right, just the ending notes are incorrect...
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-04-2018, 09:56 AM.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Exactly...I can't even imagine that a program that once touted so many All Americans, etc...can be in any worse shape...despite any win/loss combinations...MS finds himself starting out in a hole; here's hoping he and his staff can dig out. 1 win in 20 outings? That was brutal to say the least. Thankfully we didn't get blown out this weekend, if that's any consolation, and wish it had gone 3. Again, thanks Seniors and the rebuild starts now...
              If 1932 is not going to post here going forward, we can take turns posting upbeat themes as target practice for the others. You, too, e.cat. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Looks like the UNH sports staff is equally invested in excellence.
                http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2018...st-period.aspx

Local news reported that same score, I'd bet it's from UMaine sports info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Local news reported that same score, I'd bet it's from UMaine sports info.

That's a good point as the Fosters stories have come from Bangor affiliates...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    That's a good point as the Fosters stories have come from Bangor affiliates...
                    Somebody wanted to go home after a Late Saturday night. Had it written before UNH scored that late goal

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Somebody wanted to go home after a Late Saturday night. Had it written before UNH scored that late goal

No doubt! Hey good luck the rest of the way...you guys have endured a lot and hope you can get to the Garden!

Comment

Like to say that Danny Tirrone played a heck of a series up in Orono, a tip of the cap/kudo's to him as he kept UNH in both games right till the end...I have noticed that many posters here think he was somewhat over-rated but against Maine he had our number big time...he did quite a job and was outstanding even in a series/season ending losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Like to say that Danny Tirrone played a heck of a series up in Orono, a tip of the cap/kudo's to him as he kept UNH in both games right till the end...I have noticed that many posters here think he was somewhat over-rated but against Maine he had our number big time...he did quite a job and was outstanding even in a series/season ending losses.
                          Thanks for that. Noticed that he (DT) spent some time talking to the Maine coaches after the handshake. He kept UNH in most of their games but couldn't do it all by himself. 40 plus saves in many games speak for something. Came in at a tough time and I really can't fault the guy.

I'm sure (I know)there are varying opinions but the kid came out and competed which is a lot more than I can say for some this season...fwiw. Should Clark/Robinson played more? Heck yes but that didn't happen. He sure did give Maine fits but in the end the higher skilled team won.

No doubt Coach U put a lot of faith in him and we are hoping for a competition between Robinson and Taylor next year. We'll see...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Thanks for that. Noticed that he (DT) spent some time talking to the Maine coaches after the handshake. He kept UNH in most of their games but couldn't do it all by himself. 40 plus saves in many games speak for something. Came in at a tough time and I really can't fault the guy.

I'm sure (I know)there are varying opinions but the kid came out and competed which is a lot more than I can say for some this season...fwiw. Should Clark/Robinson played more? Heck yes but that didn't happen. He sure did give Maine fits but in the end the higher skilled team won.

No doubt Coach U put a lot of faith in him and we are hoping for a competition between Robinson and Taylor next year. We'll see...
                            Did I read somewhere that he racked up more post-season saves than any other UNH goalie? Seems hard to believe, given the short post-season runs the past three years.

I think that he ended his UNH career with 3637 saves. He certainly saw a lot rubber over his four years, what with the porous D in front of him.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 03-04-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Did I read somewhere that he racked up more post-season saves than any other UNH goalie? Seems hard to believe, given the short post-season runs the past three years.

I think that he ended his UNH career with 3637 saves. He certainly saw a lot rubber over his four years, what with the porous D in front of him.
                              well 80 in 2 games...you'd have to wonder!!! I haven't read that but it wouldn't surprise. No question the D must improve. We are excited about how Ty Taylor looks right now but if the D doesn't improve well....new assistant needs to dig in and fast.

EDIT: from the UNH story on their website this morning:

Tirone's 19 second-period saves tied an opening round record of most saves for a period with Rob Nichols of UConn who had 19 saves versus UNH on March 7, 2015. Tirone also posted 19 saves last night in the first period.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-04-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Yes indeed the Maine Coaches and every Maine player made sure to speak and tap him on a fine job he did in net.

Comment

Working...
                                X