X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I think deltabravo62's comments about the disconnect between UNH admin and the program's long-standing supporters should hit home with those "inside the bubble" if they should dare to peek outside the bubble. Unfortunately, the college world is not about listening to varying viewpoints at this point in our history. If you're not on board with their narrative - if you don't have the inside track on a secret handshake - you're just white noise, to be ignored at all costs, because (as '32 so aptly puts it), they simply know better than we do.
    Again, exactly like Maine. All the long time supporters who worked extremely hard in the Friends group got frustrated and walked away. The Friends group is now gone, combined with all the other sports they call it something ??? All donations go somewhere but not directly to hockey. People walked away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Here are some facts for the UNH Administration - presented without opinion - who thinks those of us who post on this board don't understand the reality around the program and are unduly negative...

Prior to the 2003-04 season (and I have the media guide right in front of me) UNH Hockey - despite facing many of the same budget and facility 'disadvantages' they face now was the second winningest program in NCAA Hockey over a five year span. They won games at a .725 clip over that period, second only to Michigan State. They won more than Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, BU and BC.

Over the last five years their winning percentage was .457. Over the last three years it was .408. This year it's .406. This year per PWR and despite an easy schedule they're worse than everyone not named American International, Farris St, Niagara, Alaska, Alabama Huntsville, Arizona St, Lake Superior, Brown, RPI, St Lawrence and Anchrage...

In 2002-03 UNH led hockey east and was seventh in the country with an over capacity average attendance if 6,664 per game. The season ticket waiting list was over 900 people.

This year they 'average' 4,382 fans - but as someone who has watched all the home games online it's clear that number has been fudged like no number ever before and is more like 2,000-2,500. Anyone disagree...?

From 1996-97 to 2012-13 UNH made 15 NCAA Tournaments in 17 years.

In the last five years they've made zero - and haven't been close.

I'm the first 23 years of Umile's career at UNH the program produced 24 All-Americans. In the last five years they've had 2. In the next five years, they'll be lucky to match two. Counting this year - those two AAs will also be the only two UNH players to make an All-HE team.

The same administration and coaches have essentially presided over UNH that entire time. But sure - nothing has changed and nothing is wrong. Keep doing what your doing. You're knocking it out of the park and we're just a bunch of nut-cases making stuff up.

---

A TRUE FAN, 1932, is like a true friend. They'll be upset about what is happening and stand by the team. They'll hold you accountable and tell you what you NEED to hear and not what you want to hear. They tell the truth. The fans on this board are the true fans. Period.

The athleric department and coaches have buried their heads in the sand while they've buried the program. IT IS THEIR WORK THAT HAS PRODUCED THESE RESULTS - not chatter on these boards. Time to stop pointing the finger, ignoring feedback, creating excuses and surrounding yourselves with enablers who will tell you only what you want to hear. And I don't care if you like me saying that - that's the truth and you need to realize that, address it and get better. The alternative is things just continue to get worse and I get louder...

It's one thing to laugh at Billb when he says Umile's turtleneck is the reason they didn't finish off a title season. There are legitimate points and critiques being made on this board today. Ignore them at your own peril...

The drivel 1932 posts might as well come right out of their mouths - tell me different - and indicates that AD is doing very little to help the Souza now or moving forward, as well as he fact that the coaches still don't even understand the depths to which they've sunk the program...
      Last edited by Dan; 02-18-2018, 01:23 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Here are some facts for the UNH Administration - presented without opinion - who thinks those of us who post on this board don't understand the reality around the program and are unduly negative...

Prior to the 2003-04 season (and I have the media guide right in front of me) UNH Hockey - despite facing many of the same budget and facility 'disadvantages' they face now was the second winningest program in NCAA Hockey over a five year span. They won games at a .725 clip over that period, second only to Michigan State. They won more than Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, BU and BC.

Over the last five years their winning percentage was .457. Over the last three years it was .408. This year it's .406.

In 2002-03 UNH led hockey east and was seventh in the country with an over capacity average attendance if 6,664 per game. The season ticket waiting list was over 900 people.

This year they 'average' 4,382 fans - but as someone who has watched all the home games online it's clear that number is more like 2,000-2,500. Anyone disagree...?

From 1996-97 to 2012-13 UNH made 15 NCAA Tournaments in 17 years.

In the last five years they've made zero - and haven't been close.

I'm the first 23 years of Umile's career at UNH the program produced 24 All-Americans. In the last five years they've had 2. In the next five years, they'll be lucky to match two. Counting this year - those two AAs will also be the only two UNH players to make an All-HE team.

The same administration and coaches have essentially presided over UNH that entire time. But sure - nothing has changed and nothing is wrong. Keep doing what your doing. You're knocking it out of the park and we're just a bunch of nut-cases making stuff up.

---

A TRUE FAN, 1932, is like a true friend. They'll be upset about what is happening and stand by the team. They'll hold you accountable and tell you what you NEED to hear and not what you want to hear. They tell the truth. The fans on this board are the true fans. Period.

The athleric department and coaches have buried their heads in the sand while they've buried the program. They've surrounded themselves with enablers like you who will tell them what they want to hear and echo they sentiment that their excuses are valid. And I don't care if they like me saying that - that's the truth and they need to realize that, address it and get better. The alternative is things just continue to get worse and I get louder...

The drivel you post might as well come right out of their mouths - tell me different - and indicates that AD is doing very little to help the Souza now or moving forward, as well as he fact that the coaches still don't even understand the depths to which they've sunk the program...
        I would say the attendance has been at roughly 50% capacity for an average on the season. Putting us a roughly 3,200 per game, more than it appears to you online but still lower than the reported attendance.

That same word "enabler" has been bouncing around my head a lot as well when it comes to the accepted "reasons" that things have taken the downward turn here. To quote a particular TV show "I do not embrace excuses, I embrace solutions". Once I see some solutions to the problems this team is facing on the ice and in getting new players on the ice, I will be here with open arms to embrace them.

I do like some of the recruits that Souza has located in the recent past and I hope to see more for this incoming class before we hit the ice in October. Making the hard decisions, such as bringing in more talented freshmen who will bump some of the less talented upper class players will be needed. Rebuilding a program is not easy and not everyone is going to be happy with some of the choices that are made, that is what makes them hard decisions. Taking the easy road has brought us right to the basement of Hockey East, where we reside just one notch above Merrimack. Hand picking a coach instead of a national search was an easy choice, the jury is still out on whether that decision will bear fruit. I wish Mike Souza the best in this but I'm not ready to call him the savior of the program yet.
        Last edited by deltabravo62; 02-18-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Fair enough Bravo - and attendance is the only sign they should need to see to realize something is gravely wrong. They shouldn't even have to worry about reading it here.

3,200 attendance leaves around 65,000-70,000 a night in just ticket revenue on the shelf. Imagine the help to the budget that could provide...
          Last edited by Dan; 02-18-2018, 01:34 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Fair enough Bravo - and attendance is the only sign they should need to see to realize something is gravely wrong. They shouldn't even have to worry about reading it here.

3,200 attendance leaves around 65,000-70,000 a night in just ticket revenue on the shelf. Imagine the help to the budget thy could provide...
            Agreed, the attendance figures alone should be an indicator that there have been issues if not just looking at the win-loss column. The worst part about this season is the way those games are being lost, especially at home. Brown, UConn, and Maine each carried two goal leads into the third, only to drop multiple goals to lose (or tie vs Brown). The fact that they dropped all of those games, at home, has left a bad taste in multiple fan groups. The season ticket holders who are seeing it game in and game out and the casual 2-4 games a year fan are both in shock of what the program has become. If you listen to the chatter as you walk out of the building a lot of it is the same. You can discount that chatter as "those who know nothing about the game and the program" but you are doing yourself a huge disservice to not listen and realize that multiple fan groups can see that something is amiss.

I sit near a couple who have tickets for the first time this year and have little knowledge of the game of hockey. And I have been asked by them multiple times why it looks like the other team is outplaying them in just about every part of the game. How many times I have heard them say "They look disorganized" "Something just is not right" and such. They may not know much about the game or the inner workings but even they can see that things are not as they should be. I have brought a few people to games who are hockey novices and I get the same comments "disorganized" "they just look off". If these people can see it, then there is obviously something to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Blah, blah, blah. Glad to see you haven’t changed . Where do you measure on the miserability index?
              Pot...kettle.....
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

People I know who quit coming who had season tickets forever through the hey day just couldn't take it anymore. They felt it was not so much losing some games but they felt the teams were not progressing much throughput the season and they were tired of it.

They felt badly as they loved the atmosphere at the 'Whitt, the loved and supported the players but enough was enough. (they didn't need a special deal on hot dogs to be happy and btw...that doesn't fill the seats). While there are many reasons why fans stop coming to games of course especially today when you can watch it online etc so I get that.

Anyway...they plan on returning when Coach Souza takes over. It's those people you want to get back in the seats; those fans bleed blue too!!!! What do you have to do to be considered a fan? Seriously if it's going to come down to money theirs (those who think poorly of my posts) and my money is just as green.

It's because we care about the program we have an opinion that is out out for all to see? I thought it was already evident.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-18-2018, 02:42 PM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Have no idea how I escaped 1932’s wrath but his succession of rants sound eerily similar to the type of stuff that I used to hear come out of Scarano’s mouth when he wasn’t happy. When I was on the FOH board and doing the newsletter, a couple of times Marty called me up and started giving me a ration. During one of these calls I waited for him to catch his breath then reminded him that I was a volunteer, one giving an inordinate amount of my time that I could easily put to equal or better use as a husband, father, and business owner.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                    Pot...kettle.....
                    ???

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      People I know who quit coming who had season tickets forever through the hey day just couldn't take it anymore. They felt it was not so much losing some games but they felt the teams were not progressing much throughput the season and they were tired of it.

They felt badly as they loved the atmosphere at the 'Whitt (they didn't need a special deal on hot dogs to be happy and btw...that doesn't fill the seats).

Anyway...they plan on returning when Coach Souza takes over. It's those people you want to get back in the seats; those fans bleed blue too!!!! What do you have to do to be considered a fan? Seriously if it's going to come down to money theirs and my money is just as green.

It's because we care about the program we have an opinion that is out out for all to see? I thought it was already evident.
                      Tough to define what a "true fan" is but I'd like to think I may flirt with rising to that level.

1) Saw my first UNH Men's game in 1967.
                      2) Sold hot dogs in the corner of Snively while the organ played above me during 1968-1969.
                      3) Bought my first season tickets in 1968 .... saw some not so good years and .... some very good years
                      4) Attended memorable away games.
                      5) Went to probably 95% of the home games until the start of the 2013-2014 season when I gave them up.
                      6) When I renewed my season football tickets I informed the office personnel I might come back for hockey in 2018-19. Little effort made to find out from me why I had walked away. I would have mentioned the leadership surrounding the program.

I remember a Foster's article where the HC said he was retiring (2008?). Maybe it can be located? I have wondered for years where UNH hockey would be today if that had occurred ..........

At this stage I can only say .... "Thanks for the Memories".... and maybe, just maybe, we will pass that way again.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                        Tough to define what a "true fan" is but I'd like to think I may flirt with rising to that level.

1) Saw my first UNH Men's game in 1967.
                        2) Sold hot dogs in the corner of Snively while the organ played above me during 1968-1969.
                        3) Bought my first season tickets in 1968 .... saw some not so good years and .... some very good years
                        4) Attended memorable away games.
                        5) Went to probably 95% of the home games until the start of the 2013-2014 season when I gave them up.
                        6) When I renewed my season football tickets I informed the office personnel I might come back for hockey in 2018-19. Little effort made to find out from me why I had walked away. I would have mentioned the leadership surrounding the program.

I remember a Foster's article where the HC said he was retiring (2008?). Maybe it can be located? I have wondered for years where UNH hockey would be today if that had occurred ..........

At this stage I can only say .... "Thanks for the Memories".... and maybe, just maybe, we will pass that way again.
                        Anyone, esp a long time STH like yourself, should have received some kind of "exit" interview as to why you were not renewing. Not hard to do; heck when you unsubscribe from an online ad you've been receiving you have to jump through a few hoops.

Although to be fair there was that email survey of a couple of years ago that did ask fans what they wanted. Anyway...in the end I guess if you are posting here and you aren't thrilled with the PP that you aren't a good fan?...I'd say that by your list you have done your part...

Ok done with this; let's see what we get in these last few games...Go 'Cats!!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Anyone, esp a long time STH like yourself, should have received some kind of "exit" interview as to why you were not renewing. Not hard to do; heck when you unsubscribe from an online ad you've been receiving you have to jump through a few hoops.
                          I had four season tickets. Two reserved seats from the day the Whitt opened and two additional purchased for the varsity club in 2006. I had them until 2013 and then I cancelled all four tickets. UNH never contacted me about dropping the tickets. I was very surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Have no idea how I escaped 1932’s wrath but his succession of rants sound eerily similar to the type of stuff that I used to hear come out of Scarano’s mouth when he wasn’t happy.
                            Wouldn't it be fun if BS35+5 donned an alter ego/sock puppet, and came on here to defend himself?

Way more likely he'd "hire" two interns to do it for him, then "fire" them for reporting back the negative stuff.

We must protect our phony baloney jobs, gentlemen!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmfwklFM-M
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                              I had four season tickets. Two reserved seats from the day the Whitt opened and two additional purchased for the varsity club in 2006. I had them until 2013 and then I cancelled all four tickets. UNH never contacted me about dropping the tickets. I was very surprised.
                              I was a season ticket holder from the opening game at the Whit, that after weaseling my way into most games at Snively for 20 years. We gave them up last year mostly based on logic. Why should I pay good money after bad when the ticket office had promotions where you could buy two seats for twenty bucks and get hot dogs and pizza to boot. There was many a season where, if UNH played 40 games, I went to 35 or 36. I’ve been to just about every rink in the east and a fair share of the ones out west. The last two years I’ve probably been to 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Hypothetically, or maybe not, if a player did not like the coach. Who's fault is that?
                                Obama

Comment

Working...
                                X