This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

What is all of this doom and gloom? Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Noooo!!!

We have them (the Black Bears) right where we want 'em. Maine also will choke down the stretch, and host us in the MBPBEGAM round in Orono. Tirone has his one loss to the Black Bears out of his system, and will win two of three in Orono. We will win two more for Coach in the next round for the NRN, a trip to da Garden, and Grasso's red shirt, which is really key to the 2020/2021 season. And, the icing on the cake is that we have two more forwards with eight goals, within striking distance of double digit goals on the season. What is not to like? Just need to get Foxhole to work on his embellishments better during practice. You know, practice? Not in a game, mind you, just practice. Do not dispair, folks.
    Last edited by Snively65; 02-14-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

the record is now out of reach... that's too bad.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        the record is now out of reach... that's too bad.
        Mind your own crap, Maine beat you on home ice. Go screw. I think Unh and Maine can beat that rag tag bu squad. Easy. Big competition is NU.

Comment

And here's the story:

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201802...ort-on-answers

Answers. Felt badly for DT. He worked hard to get those kids in that building and it was too bad the 'Cats couldn't keep the lead. We all know 2 goal leads in hockey are called the 'dreaded two goal lead' for a reason. But this exemplified just why that is. I don't even want to know how many games we could've won, that slipped out of our reach. Is what it is. Just finish the best way you can. That's all they can do at this point.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-15-2018, 05:16 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            What is all of this doom and gloom? Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Noooo!!!

We have them (the Black Bears) right where we want 'em. Maine also will choke down the stretch, and host us in the MBPBEGAM round in Orono. Tirone has his one loss to the Black Bears out of his system, and will win two of three in Orono. We will win two more for Coach in the next round for the NRN, a trip to da Garden, and Grasso's red shirt, which is really key to the 2020/2021 season. And, the icing on the cake is that we have two more forwards with eight goals, within striking distance of double digit goals on the season. What is not to like? Just need to get Foxhole to work on his embellishments better during practice. You know, practice? Not in a game, mind you, just practice. Do not dispair, folks.
            Even I can read the sarcasm all the way from New Zealand sir!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

It's darkest before the dawn! This nightmare can't end soon enough!
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

The lack of finish, lack of confidence, and the mindset will change once Co-Coach Dave Lassonde gets to work with the team. He has a track record of working with above-.500 teams.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  And here's the story:

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201802...ort-on-answers

Answers. Felt badly for DT. He worked hard to get those kids in that building and it was too bad the 'Cats couldn't keep the lead. We all know 2 goal leads in hockey are called the 'dreaded two goal lead' for a reason. But this exemplified just why that is. I don't even want to know how many games we could've won, that slipped out of our reach. Is what it is. Just finish the best way you can. That's all they can do at this point.
                  There must be something wrong with my computer. I could have sworn the rink was about half full but according Umile it was a ‘great crowd.’
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Don't quibble. They're living in an alternate universe:

“I’m excited to come back for the final season of my contract and still have a strong desire to win,” Umile added. “With a strong nucleus returning and exciting newcomers on the way, we are determined to get UNH hockey back to the level of annually competing in the NCAA tournament.”

“Coach Umile and I spoke about how this next season will be spent continuing the effort to re-build UNH hockey into a national caliber program that competes in the NCAA tournament and eventually the Frozen Four,” New Hampshire athletic director Marty Scarano said. “That has been, and always will be, our aspiration. We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here already changing the culture in recruiting, and he will hit the ground running at the conclusion of next year.

“We look forward to the challenge of reaching NCAAs next year and our focus is on having the program in great shape when Mike Souza takes over as head coach,” Umile said.
                    You can sense the urgency in recruiting.

Would you describe what your recruiting philosophy is in general and do you see yourself adapting your recruiting philosophy to meet the particular strengths and needs of UNH, both as a hockey program but also as an academic institution?

Souza: That's an interesting question and I probably wouldn't go into it as much as he did. I think because of all the information sharing that goes on. I do know that we have a sign that hangs in the locker room that says "How you do anything is how you do everything." It's important for us to meet kids that have high aspirations to be good in all areas of their life. Whether it's in school or the community, certainly on the hockey rink.

We definitely want kids that want to come play at UNH and understand our tradition, understand that playing here is a tremendous honor, and having a sense of wanting to be a part of the first group to win the National Championship here. We want guys that are driven to be pros and guys that are driven to get a degree while they're here and are willing to be pushed because I think that's our job, to push these guys. To make them better in the community, to push them towards getting their degree and pushing them toward realizing their ultimate goals of hopefully playing in the National Hockey League but if not, at the highest level of hockey possible.

...We want kids who are, obviously competitive, and obviously have certain skills that fit the need of what we need them to be for that particular position at that time but be a good person, and realizing that coming to UNH is a privilege. I think that the kids that are here and the kids we're recruiting, the ones we get obviously realize it.

It's something that's real personal to me because I really have a strong affection for UNH and what it's done for me and what it's done for my family, for my life. It's a privilege to be here. I realize there's a lot of people that would love to coach at UNH so I realize that it's an awesome responsibility to keep bringing kids here that share the same values of all the guys who have come before them and me and Coach Umile.

To be honest with you, we haven't talked about it but those are the values that were instilled in me by Coach Umile. I think that's what separates us, Mike, I like to think what separates us, and something I learned from him is, we treat every kid here like they're our own kids. He treated me like that, he treated every kid that's ever played here like that and that is why he has run, arguably one of the best programs in the country for the last 25 years. There's no denying that. I know we've fallen short of winning a National Championship to date but there's no denying that we've been a blue chip company and not a dot.com company for a long time and we owe that, in large part, to Dick. I really believe that. I think that, we've all, you, me, everyone wants to win the National Championship. We get it, everyone gets it. I know we will.
                    It's reminescent of the urgency Shawn Walsh had when he took over Maine
                    https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...2716%2C6624535
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-15-2018, 08:32 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      There must be something wrong with my computer. I could have sworn the rink was about half full but according Umile it was a ‘great crowd.’
                      The 'usual' parts of the arena were not full but the student section was. It was a fairly typical crowd for the most part. I'm a lousy judge of the rest of the place but for a Wednesday night being what it was there were more people there than expected. A few Maine fans as well. Good luck the rest of the way. Maine was able to exploit our biggest weakness of the season; being able to finish what you started...that will serve you well as you move into the HE tournament but it will ultimately kill us in the end unless by some miracle it changes.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        You can sense the urgency in recruiting.

It's reminescent of the urgency Shawn Walsh had when he took over Maine

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...2716%2C6624535
                        Yeah, like two peas in a pod, eerily similar. I know I feel a lot better about it now. Thanks 'Watcher.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          The 'usual' parts of the arena were not full but the student section was. It was a fairly typical crowd for the most part. I'm a lousy judge of the rest of the place but for a Wednesday night being what it was there were more people there than expected. A few Maine fans as well. Good luck the rest of the way. Maine was able to exploit our biggest weakness of the season; being able to finish what you started...that will serve you well as you move into the HE tournament but it will ultimately kill us in the end unless by some miracle it changes.
                          It was a surprising crowd for a Wednesday
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Its being reported that Oliver Wahlstrom (USNTDP) is no longer committed to Harvard. Same reports indicate its likely he'll chose one of BC/BU - but here's a chance for Mike to show us something! Although, I suppose it really boils down to whether or not Wahlstrom appreciates the privilege of playing at UNH enough to pick up the phone and initiate a conversation. We only want guys who WANT to be at UNH after all...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Its being reported that Oliver Wahlstrom (USNTDP) is no longer committed to Harvard. Same reports indicate its likely he'll chose one of BC/BU - but here's a chance for Mike to show us something! Although, I suppose it really boils down to whether or not Wahlstrom appreciates the privilege of playing at UNH enough to pick up the phone and initiate a conversation. We only want guys who WANT to be at UNH after all...
                              But, does he have three years of a modern language? I would never get into my State U today with my three years of Latin at ORHS. Dead language.

But, beware of smaht kids, like Joey Juneau, or Eddy Caron.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                But, does he have three years of a modern language? I would never get into my State U today with my three years of Latin at ORHS. Dead language.

But, beware of smaht kids, like Joey Juneau, or Eddy Caron.
                                According to a google search - It doesn't appear he even speaks Swedish despite being a duel citizen for 17 years! I guess we can cross him off the list...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X