X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    That is a good point. But pregame Red gave the impression that since the face off circles are the same distance away that is all that mattered. Walsh used to try to practice on Olympic ice if he had to go against Unh or someone else with big ice. Cahoon thought Maine had a tough time adjusting to it in the first period. Maybe Red should consider adjusting his team and practices before going to Unh.
    Typically, they'll have a practice on USM's olympic sheet on the way down, but I do not recall seeing them on the rink schedule...

Comment

Uconn beat Unh.

Comment

Was at my local team's game, and Maine was-blacked out here, but good to see the result.

I gather from the comments below that UMass out-played Maine, but Swayman saved the bacon..?

Not surprised there. Sway is that good when he's on; I'm a fan. (I was a bit shocked when he gave up a softie or two v. UNH, but nearly every time I've seen him, I'm impressed... And he's absolutely crucial to Maine progressing. The linchpin on this team, without a doubt.)

The big sheet has befuddled even dominant Maine teams over the years. I seem to remember a game in Amherst when the shots were like 52-14, and Maine lost 2-1. It messes-up the spacing for the teams that aren't used to it, was my takeaway. Even seems to mess with the visiting goalie's anticipation and positioning.

Anyhoo, it's a W. I'll take it.

And, BTW, if Rob had been Maine's everyday goalie this year, they'd have maybe 8 wins so far, and everyone on here would be calling for Red's head on a pike... All the current optimism would never have happened. You build a hockey team from the goal out, and Maine's D is it's biggest problem right now, IMO.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-26-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Was at my local team's game, and Maine was-blacked out here, but good to see the result.

I gather from the comments below that UMass out-played Maine, but Swayman saved the bacon..?

Not surprised there. Sway is that good when he's on; I'm a fan. (I was a bit shocked when he gave up a softie or two v. UNH, but nearly every time I've seen him, I'm impressed... And he's absolutely crucial to Maine progressing. The linchpin on this team, without a doubt.)

The big sheet has befuddled even dominant Maine teams over the years. I seem to remember a game in Amherst when the shots were like 52-14, and Maine lost 2-1. It messes-up the spacing for the teams that aren't used to it, was my takeaway. Even seems to mess with the visiting goalie's anticipation and positioning.

Anyhoo, it's a W. I'll take it.

And, BTW, if Rob had been Maine's everyday goalie this year, they'd have maybe 8 wins so far, and everyone on here would be calling for Red's head on a pike... All the current optimism would never have happened. You build a hockey team from the goal out, and Maine's D is it's biggest problem right now, IMO.
          If you look at plus minus Rob is minus 1 and Swayman is plus 22. Swayman leads hockey east in save percentage and in plus minus. So yes, huge difference between Swayman and McGovern.

Looking at statistics Maine as good or better than almost any team in hockey east for 5 on 5 play. The power play conversion rate ranks 5th, which is average. But penalty killing is 2nd worst. So my point is, the defensive play short handed is the particular weakness.

I thought Hamilton's last couple games were off. Hopefully he can return to form blocking shots and clearing net front.

Kind of interesting if you sort by plus minus and look at the most negative player's graduation classes. That to me makes a distinct indicator of the future of the program.

Comment

Uconn beat Unh.
            Maine left points on the ice last weekend. Too bad.

Maine looked great halfway thru the 2nd last night, like to see that from the start. Swayman certainly looks cool calm and collected out there. Demeanor doesn't change even after letting up a goal. He should have been POed when Maine D watched the UMass player skate into the crease with
            the puck. Get any points tonight and weekend will be a success.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Huge win last night. They are playing with house money tonight. A win tonight would basically ensure that Maine couldn't do worse than sixth place.

Hamilton had an absolute horror show in the first period and then tightened things up the rest of the game. The amount of fight the whole team showed was very impressive. Since BU Maine has been struggling, but still have found a way to not lose most of the games. It'd be nice to see a 4-1 or 5-2 type win either tonight or next weekend.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Having not played swayman at Brown was a mistake, not that it would have guaranteed a win but you treat every game in the 2nd half of the season as must win. The tie chilled their momentum.

I like what i saw from how carvel has umass playing. The d handled the puck well in their zone and cleared most times. Driving the puck to the net and crease area. It seemed the first two lines played the whole game, look out over the next years when they get four lines going.

Comment

There was one thing I wanted to mention: W T F was Red thinking on the 5X3? He should have called timeout and rested the big guns. Instead he sent out the second unit and they didn't do anything. Maine needs to get better about letting the other team touch the puck straightaway when there is a penalty called when they are on the PP. I've seen them waste precious time on a few occasions this year and it is very frustrating.

Comment

Swayman Interview Video

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      There was one thing I wanted to mention: W T F was Red thinking on the 5X3? He should have called timeout and rested the big guns. Instead he sent out the second unit and they didn't do anything. Maine needs to get better about letting the other team touch the puck straightaway when there is a penalty called when they are on the PP. I've seen them waste precious time on a few occasions this year and it is very frustrating.
                      None of my business but it also drives me crazy when you have a delayed penalty in a situation like that and skaters continue to play the puck. Make the other team play the puck, get the whistle in the offensive zone and maximize the amount of time you have the two man advantage. Perhaps I am expecting too much thought out of the players; but I can't help thinking if Bill Belichick was a hockey coach he would ground situations like that into your brain.
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Huge win last night. They are playing with house money tonight. A win tonight would basically ensure that Maine couldn't do worse than sixth place.
                        You guys should be hoping for UNH to win a few games or you could be looking at Tirone again in the first round

Comment

If you look at plus-minus Rob is minus 1 and Swayman is plus 22. Swayman leads hockey east in save percentage and in plus-minus. So yes, huge difference between Swayman and McGovern.

Looking at statistics Maine as good or better than almost any team in hockey east for 5 on 5 play. The power play conversion rate ranks 5th, which is average. But penalty killing is 2nd worst. So my point is, the defensive play short handed is the particular weakness.

I thought Hamilton's last couple games were off. Hopefully he can return to form blocking shots and clearing net front.

Kind of interesting if you sort by plus minus and look at the most negative player's graduation classes. That to me makes a distinct indicator of the future of the program.
                          Yeah, I have noticed this as well. There are only four minus players on this team and they are all Juniors and Seniors. Vesey at -3 (although he was at -9 I think after the first few weeks), Michel at -2, Hamilton at -1 and Becker at -1. Binner sits at +13 and Keeper +11 which bodes really well for this team's long-term success. It will be interesting to see how they finish the season but I think last night showed them they can still win. Every game from here on out is huge after leaving points on the table against UNH. Top 4 is still in play. Without a doubt, it has been more fun than in past seasons. I think the overlooked factor in all of this is the recruiting of Ben Guite. Don't know if anyone caught Swayman's interview but he mentioned Guite by name and anyone who has been at the games this year has seen him being the one coaching on the bench. At the end of the day, he might be Red's successsor. He has that fire and has recruited talented kids to come play on an island.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            None of my business but it also drives me crazy when you have a delayed penalty in a situation like that and skaters continue to play the puck. Make the other team play the puck, get the whistle in the offensive zone and maximize the amount of time you have the two man advantage. Perhaps I am expecting too much thought out of the players; but I can't help thinking if Bill Belichick was a hockey coach he would ground situations like that into your brain.
                            Because in College Hockey even when the penalty is being called the team can score and the Penalty is still enforced and you go on a power-play even after scoring on the delayed call.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              Because in College Hockey even when the penalty is being called the team can score and the Penalty is still enforced and you go on a power-play even after scoring on the delayed call.
                              I understand that but the penalty occurred in the Maine defensive zone. You have to get the goalie out and regroup and move the puck 150 feet and then try to score. Seems to me you would have a better chance if you get the face off in the offensive zone, set up properly and preserve time. (Of course I recognize you do need to win the face off.) If you score quick enough you will still get two bites at the apple.

To me it is similar to when a football goes for it on fourth down and attempts a long pass. Defensive backs should have the intuition to knock the ball down (and preserve field position) rather than be a hero and make an interception.

I guess it is just personal preference. But I do see your point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                I understand that but the penalty occurred in the Maine defensive zone. You have to get the goalie out and regroup and move the puck 150 feet and then try to score. Seems to me you would have a better chance if you get the face off in the offensive zone, set up properly and preserve time. (Of course I recognize you do need to win the face off.) If you score quick enough you will still get two bites at the apple.

To me it is similar to when a football goes for it on fourth down and attempts a long pass. Defensive backs should have the intuition to knock the ball down (and preserve field position) rather than be a hero and make an interception.

I guess it is just personal preference. But I do see your point.
                                Bingo. Maine wasted at least 10 seconds and didn’t even get a good chance at scoring. If a team is knocking the door down that is a different situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X