X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Yeah. I was at that PC game. Didn't Goumas have the goal to win it? Those were the days alright! And we thought we had it bad then.....
    Goumas had 2 goals in that one, Agosta, the other. yeah, isn't that a hoot...There were some great players on both of those teams, and, in watching the highlights, it was sad to note that PC's Drew Brown played in that game as well. This was the 13/14 season; Goumas graduated that season. Sal's freshman year's team also went to the Gahden in '15 winning at PC in OT from a goal by Jay Camper (Pesce assist) Here's the highlights featuring Kevin G and his two goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOY3Qfby4Q

Ps. Call me crazy but Eric MacAdams kind of reminds me of Kevin in his gutsy play. He's got that same jump in his skating and nose for the puck.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Yup, Salvaggio, much better team this year, now that the puck hogs TyK and Cleland are gone.

And, who has the team's worst +/-?
      It was the space that TyK created on the ice that led to prob. 90% of those PP goals that padded his season (last year) for which he (TyK) was roundly criticized for. And don't get me wrong; Sal is a capable player. I think it's a shame his Sr. year hasn't been stellar (to date). Who knows...there's still time to have a 'happy Senior Year' and I hope they do.
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-17-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile upta Maine:

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/1...ony-new-*****/
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I don't know what's more sad; this story or the one about Stephen King losing his manuscripts... #OnlyInMaine
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyref View Post
            i don't know what's more sad; this story or the one about stephen king losing his manuscripts...:d #onlyinmaine
            lol

Comment

This has to be the all-time stupidest "Dr. Doolittle" story I've come across at least this century, it not ever.

I mean, it's not like typical Downeasters have lots of loose change lying about, and to waste it on ... this ...

... maybe, there might have been, y'know, humans needing shelter, clothing or food? Just sayin' ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                This has to be the all-time stupidest "Dr. Doolittle" story I've come across at least this century, it not ever.

I mean, it's not like typical Downeasters have lots of loose change lying about, and to waste it on ... this ...

... maybe, there might have been, y'know, humans needing shelter, clothing or food? Just sayin' ...
                Mainuhs are a generous bunch

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Ps. Call me crazy but Eric MacAdams kind of reminds me of Kevin in his gutsy play. He's got that same jump in his skating and nose for the puck.
                  I would never call you crazy - but, no. MacAdams is Greg Collins. A hard-working, effort-driven, strong skating/forechecking role player who can defend and score occasionally. Ironically enough, Greg Collins' freshman scoring line was 5-1--6. This is also MacAdams' current line, any difference by the end of the year will be entirely due to MacAdams' getting a chance over his head on the top line...

We never got a chance to find out what freshman Collins would have done alongside Micflikier and Hemingway. Probably due to Winnik, Smith, Ciocco, Radja, Fornataro and Pollastrone also being on the team. It's amazing what a team can accomplish when there's enough talent so that players can play their natural roles...
                  Last edited by Dan; 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I would never call you crazy - but, no. MacAdams is Greg Collins. A hard-working, effort-driven, strong skating/forechecking role player who can defend and score occasionally. Ironically enough, Greg Collins' freshman scoring line was 5-1--6. This is also MacAdams' current line, any difference by the end of the year will be entirely due to MacAdams' getting a chance over his head on the top line...

We never got a chance to find out what freshman Collins would have done alongside Micflikier and Hemingway. Probably due to Winnik, Smith, Ciocco, Radja, Fornataro and Pollastrone also being on the team. It's amazing what a team can accomplish when there's enough talent so that players can play their natural roles...
                    Given my limited UNH hockey history I will take your word for it! Sounds like a pretty stacked team you describe! I have enjoyed MacAdams' game; he's hustling and has scored in a few dirty areas. Have seen Fornataro with the Monarchs not sure if he's still with them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

That’s pretty much it Dan. We have a team of third and fourth liners masquerading as first and second liners. And, I might add, it’s been this way for at least two or three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Agreed. I would also compare MacAdams to David Busch, one of my all-time faves from the FF glory days.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          That’s pretty much it Dan. We have a team of third and fourth liners masquerading as first and second liners. And, I might add, it’s been this way for at least two or three years.
                          I do not think that TyK and Poturalski would have been third and fourth liners on any team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            I do not think that TyK and Poturalski would have been third and fourth liners on any team.
                            What he said...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Good to see you here Darius! Been awhile. Possession of the puck? What's that? One of our biggest, on going issues. But consider yourself lucky, as we played better in that BU game than we did in the BC game.

Ray, as to your points regarding the faceoff issues? I watched the Maine v UMassy game last night and paid attention to that. I'll watch how UNH handles it this weekend (not live; just can't bring myself to drive up there alone). But I am not sure UNH has plays for that? We win so few face offs anyway. When you have talented players, they just know what to do. You can't sit back on your hands when you don't; they can't learn it on their own. Surely...there's coaching for that stuff? Right?

What I saw last night was that UMaine played like a team; the goalie is very good as we expect. Their PP wasn't that great but they managed to stave off UMass' PP attempts. (Despite the reviews that UMass played well I wasn't impressed to be honest) In the past I would be psyched to take it to them (Maine) on the PP but not this year unless that unit gets it together, but we'll see. Just some ramblings. A split would make me very happy; heck even a tie would be an improvement. Go 'Cats!
                              Actually, we win about the same percentage of face offs as we lose, 49.2% vs 50.8% this season so far, based on Dan's earlier post no. 655, which is typical for teams I think.

Here is an interesting take on the impact of face offs.

http://statsportsconsulting.com/main...lysis12-12.pdf

From PuckBase stats for the NHL, some of the best faceoff win %'s are Sabres Ryan O'Reilly 1st at 61.1%, Ducks Antoine Vermette 4th at 59.8%, Patrice Bergeron 6th at 57.2%, and David Krejci 8th at 56.5%. However, Bergeron drops to 23rd at 54.3% in offensive zone face offs won, and Krejci climbs to 6th at 61.3% in the offensive zone.

But, of course, it is what happens right after the face off that matters most, and as I noted earlier, I was impressed with Salvaggio's one-timer that just missed wide left on Sunday afternoon.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 01-17-2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                We have a team of third and fourth liners masquerading as first and second liners.
                                As you said the other day, this is so 1986
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X