X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Either the coaches are all in on the younger players and their potential (most likely) or Cefalu/Fregona are being disciplined for something we will never know about.
    Cefalu is just not that good - in my opinion. He played his junior hockey in the EHL for a reason and his production at that level is not indicative of who he is. He is one of a handful of bottom-six UNH forwards who basically all bring the same thing. Why he isn't in more of a rotation is interesting, but not a real concern for me. Fregona is the frustrating case. He's getting the McNicholas treatment. I will be surprised if he's not a big part of the top offensive lines over the next couple of years, but right now he's buried because of 'defensive concerns' (ie. a slight-build, offensive game and free-wheeling style). He should be playing, getting better and being developed because they'll need him as a JR/SR. McNicholas would have helped if given a better role as an underclassmen. I feel the same about Fregona...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      What about that ‘first’ line? It’s not a complete replay of two years ago, but it feels a bit like that (to me). Why is Grasso still with the seniors? It doesn’t seem to be working. Put him back with his classmates for more than a game and see if they can get back to last season form. The freshman line was the most consistent last year. Kelleher hasn’t clicked with the sophomores nor Grasso with the seniors.
      If there is criticism to be directed at players - I'm surprised there has not been more directed at the first line. McNicholas is holding his own, offensively, this season over a PPG. But Salvaggio is really struggling. UNH needed consecutive big years from both of these SRs and whoever played alongside them...

w/ TK: 13-30--43 (37 GP) / .35 GPG, 1.6 PPG
      w/o TK: 9-21--30 (61 GP) / .15 GPG, .49 PPG
      2017-18: 5-12--17 (17 GP) / .29 GPG, 1.0 PPG

w/ TK: 23-13--36 (40 GP) / .58 GPG, .90 PPG
      w/o TK: 8-9--17 (57 GP) / .14 GPG, .3 PPG
      2017-18: 5-4--9 (17 GP) / .29 GPG, .53 PPG (5 goals in 3 games / 0 goals in 14 games)

I was really struck by Dan’s evaluation of committed talent (recruiting thread) versus the guys they replace, and near downgrades across the board. The thing that REALLY concerned me is that so many of the current guys were already downgrades. In two seasons we lost Kelleher, Poturalski and Foegle - they haven’t been replaced (IMO); no forward currently on the roster is as good as two of them, if not all three. Side note: yes, I was a Foegle fanboy. I thought he showed a lot of promise. Comparing him directly to his classmate overlooks the two year age difference. How would a junior Foegle compare to a freshman Pots? We’ll never know., but I’d love to have him out there with Yzerman and Vela.

It may just be that this years Cats are what we feared rather than what we hoped for. Time will tell, but in the immortal words of HR,

Go Cats!
      I know my thoughts on recruiting have ruffled some feathers - but there is real trouble there. Crookshank is great. After that there are a lot of question marks just looking at the spots that have been filled. Then there are all the empty spots. I hope I'm wrong and Souza/Co. continue to gobble up all-HE caliber late grabs and turn out to be elite evaluators of diamond in the rough talent. I'm not optimistic, but I'll happily admit if I'm wrong...
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Cefalu is just not that good - in my opinion. He played his junior hockey in the EHL for a reason and his production at that level is not indicative of who he is. He is one of a handful of bottom-six UNH forwards who basically all bring the same thing. Why he isn't in more of a rotation is interesting, but not a real concern for me. Fregona is the frustrating case. He's getting the McNicholas treatment. I will be surprised if he's not a big part of the top offensive lines over the next couple of years, but right now he's buried because of 'defensive concerns' (ie. a slight-build, offensive game and free-wheeling style). He should be playing, getting better and being developed because they'll need him as a JR/SR. McNicholas would have helped if given a better role as an underclassmen. I feel the same about Fregona...
        Totally agree about Fregona...I just think if you're going to run Sato/Miller you have a choice there. I do like both of their games; but he would go in there somewhere.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Alrighty then, everybody having fun now? Let’s see what I can come clean on.

I DID, a couple weeks ago, express concern about a certain 18-year old freshman displaying ‘excess’ confidence when handling the puck in large crowds. I would hate to see him as a 24-year old senior (that’s some higher math right there) still turning the puck over one-on-three night after night. Given the talent delta between the two players I mentioned at the time I think it is more likely than not to get better.

I’m also a Cefalu/Fregona on the fourth line fan. Will the fourth line combos have a big impact on outcomes? Probably not, but the fourth line was more noticeable and seemed (to me) to generate real chances in the early going than it has since they started rotating the parts. Sato is fun to watch in a demolition derby kind of way ...

What about that ‘first’ line? It’s not a complete replay of two years ago, but it feels a bit like that (to me). Why is Grasso still with the seniors? It doesn’t seem to be working. Put him back with his classmates for more than a game and see if they can get back to last season form. The freshman line was the most consistent last year. Kelleher hasn’t clicked with the sophomores nor Grasso with the seniors.

I was really struck by Dan’s evaluation of committed talent (recruiting thread) versus the guys they replace, and near downgrades across the board. The thing that REALLY concerned me is that so many of the current guys were already downgrades. In two seasons we lost Kelleher, Poturalski and Foegle - they haven’t been replaced (IMO); no forward currently on the roster is as good as two of them, if not all three. Side note: yes, I was a Foegle fanboy. I thought he showed a lot of promise. Comparing him directly to his classmate overlooks the two year age difference. How would a junior Foegle compare to a freshman Pots? We’ll never know., but I’d love to have him out there with Yzerman and Vela.

It may just be that this years Cats are what we feared rather than what we hoped for. Time will tell, but in the immortal words of HR,

Go Cats!
          +1

Ps I watched a Checkers game last night. Shouldn't have. It was hard to watch Pots and Foegele kill it out there...sigh.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Totally agree about Fregona...I just think if you're going to run Sato/Miller you have a choice there. I do like both of their games; but he would go in there somewhere.
            I've also thought he might be worth a try on the first line.
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

I've also thought he might be worth a try on the first line.
              You mean Fregona? To me that first line needs a solid playmaker...3 shooters (with Grasso, McNick) hmm.....totally speaks to the year Salvaggio is having. He's a great shot but not without the puck. The biggest dilemma I had as a coach was finding the perfect fit. I'd move one, but it disrupted something else, etc. This is the issue maybe they have. Still think ChKell is/ could be that playmaker? I mean, what do they have to lose?

Wonder what we'll see when we got to the Ledyard.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Chuck gets me. ♥
                Heck, I even raised that third option ("If Gildon reaches his potential as a top two pairing NHL guy, then that's a black mark on Granato and his staff, which I'm sure their Big Ten rival programs (and others) will only be too happy to point out to future recruits.") in my last post to Dan. But I suspect he's too busy waiting for me to fall into my "narrative" - which I suspect is, he's waiting for me to crap on Gildon as the next two-and-out UNH player. OR ...

... *maybe* just maybe it's because Gildon IS probably going to be that two-and-out player, I'd like to tighten up the kid's learning curve issues sooner than later, so we see the additional benefit during his time with us??

Is that an unfair and/or unreasonable expectation, on the player or the UNH coaches?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Heck, I even raised that third option ("If Gildon reaches his potential as a top two pairing NHL guy, then that's a black mark on Granato and his staff, which I'm sure their Big Ten rival programs (and others) will only be too happy to point out to future recruits.") in my last post to Dan. But I suspect he's too busy waiting for me to fall into my "narrative" - which I suspect is, he's waiting for me to crap on Gildon as the next two-and-out UNH player. OR ...

... *maybe* just maybe it's because Gildon IS probably going to be that two-and-out player, I'd like to tighten up the kid's learning curve issues sooner than later, so we see the additional benefit during his time with us??

Is that an unfair and/or unreasonable expectation, on the player or the UNH coaches?
                  Chuck we all want Max to be the best player he can be. It's not an unreasonable expectation that he is willing to be coached (which I am sure he is).

Doubt that any reasonable corrections (as any other player) would stifle his talents...I have met him once and found him very affable. A great fit for UNH.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-15-2017, 04:48 PM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Just walked past Dave Lassonde on the Magness concourse. While I was glancing in his direction I nearly ran into Brian McCloskey, who is apparently now volunteering (???) at Dartmouth...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Just walked past Dave Lassonde on the Magness concourse. While I was glancing in his direction I nearly ran into Brian McCloskey, who is apparently now volunteering (???) at Dartmouth...
                      That's interesting! Please give us a full report of the Big Green...are you going to both games?
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        That's interesting! Please give us a full report of the Big Green...are you going to both games?
                        Big Green = cupcake. Bentley beat them in their barn 5-1.

But, back to discussion about lines above. If Eiserman-Nazarian-Vela begin all three periods in a game, are not they the first line?

And, if composition of the fourth line does not matter, which line got the first two goals against Army?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Big Green = cupcake. Bentley beat them in their barn 5-1.

But, back to discussion about lines above. If Eiserman-Nazarian-Vela begin all three periods in a game, are not they the first line?

And, if composition of the fourth line does not matter, which line got the first two goals against Army?
                          Well yes I guess you would call them the top line....didn't MacAdams get those goals? Guess that answers the 4th line q...just put Cefalu and Fregona in there 😉
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I have been reading the conversation about Gildon over the last couple of days. The basis of it is the two mistakes, that led to goals against, he made against Colorado College and Army. I think everybody should go back and watch the video of these two plays again. I did earlier this evening. The turnover against Colorado College happened when he was trying to make a pass from his defensive blueline up to his forward at the right hand side of the offensive blueline. He fanned on the pass which led to turning the puck over to a Colorado College player. This was no way a situation of being too risky or being over confident with the puck. This is what happens every once and awhile to a player that plays with his head up. Gildon was able to get back into the play. The real mistake was how Gildon and his defense partner, Marks, played the resulting 3 on 2 against them. The game winning goal, shot, came from about five feet below the top of the circle. It appears to me Marks may have screened Tirone.

The mistake Gildon made in the Army game occurred just a couple of seconds after a UNH turnover at the center red line. He was skating up ice around the top of the circle in the defensive zone when the puck came to him. He seemed to be caught off guard that the puck came to him. He had about a second before the Colorado College player was on him. He tried to do his spin, escape maneuver, but was stripped of the puck before he could complete it. The mistake was trying to do this maneuver when moving forward. It is like trying to turn a boat when not having any movement. The escape maneuver only works well when moving backwards. If I was coaching him, I would have told him that he should have just flipped the puck high up in the air and turn it over to the opposing team around the far blue line.

This whole conversation about Gildon is ridiculous. Watching UNH Men's hockey this season has been fun, in a large part because of Gildon. As UNH hockey supporters we like to reminisce about when James Van Riemsdyk played for us. There has not been too many former UNH players that went on to have a prominent NHL career. Hopefully, some day we will be able to reminisce about when Max Gildon played for UNH!
                            Last edited by Ray Dorn; 12-15-2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Agree on all fronts Ray. Physical error.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Ray Dorn great post come back more often...!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X