Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best atmospheres in DIII hockey?

https://worldhockeyreport.wordpress....-in-ncaa-diii/

Would love to hear opinions on this! Few rinks I haven't been to before so it's hard to judge them but would love to hear your "honorable mentions".

Re: Best atmospheres in DIII hockey?

Willett Arena in Stevens Point has to be tops in the West.....big student turnout, student band and fans that understand the game..
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

The games between Plattsburgh and Oswego have to be the top....Doesn't matter where...Stafford or the Campus Center..Best atmosphere you could ask for !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Hard to argue with those three. It’s too bad this wasn’t 15 years ago because RIT, Elmira and Middlebury would be right there.

Norwich can be good still nowadays. Last year’s playoff run was something else. Definitely cool to see Kreitzberg packed like it used to be with people standing on trash cans during the NEC championship game to see the ice.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

The Augsburg Baseball team creates a very festive atmosphere at Augsburg Hockey home games. Worth a mention for sure, they might be the top student section in D3 hockey.

http://athletics.augsburg.edu/common...ockey_fans.jpg
          Last edited by oldauggie; 11-25-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldauggie View Post
            The Augsburg Baseball team creates a very festive atmosphere at Augsburg Hockey home games. Worth a mention for sure, they might be the top student section in D3 hockey.

http://athletics.augsburg.edu/common...ockey_fans.jpg
            That looks sweet. I like it when other student-athletes and teams come out in big droves to support other teams. When I was at Oswego, our team attended a lot of soccer/volleyball games. I tried to get them to hockey games but a lot of our team didn’t like the hockey team because they thought they “got everything” and we didn’t.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              That looks sweet. I like it when other student-athletes and teams come out in big droves to support other teams. When I was at Oswego, our team attended a lot of soccer/volleyball games. I tried to get them to hockey games but a lot of our team didn’t like the hockey team because they thought they “got everything” and we didn’t.
              I've been to Lake Forest when the football team showed up in force...added to the atmosphere in a normally 'quiet' arena..
              SNC Men:
              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
              SNC Women:
              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Haha, sounds familiar. I remember at Norwich one night, after discussing (read: *****ing about) why the hockey team had 3 zambonis when we couldn't even get an outfield fence, the baseball team grabbed pitchforks and torches and stumbled over to the hockey house in a drunken rage. Thankfully, they weren't home, so everyone just shrugged and stumbled back.

Definitely not our finest moment (myself and another player were standing back about 50 yards just commenting how stupid we were), but honestly, we had a fair gripe.
                Last edited by NU Pastime; 11-25-2017, 09:36 AM.
                Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

In the west: Wisconsin-Stevens Point, St. Norbert, and Adrian do well on a nightly basis.

Augsburg, Gustavus Adolphus, Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Wisconsin-River Falls, and Milwaukee School of Engineering can have their moments.

Compared to the teams in the east, the west mostly have older and/or smaller rinks that don't accommodate like Utica, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Geneseo, or Norwich do.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                    In the west: Wisconsin-Stevens Point, St. Norbert, and Adrian do well on a nightly basis.

Augsburg, Gustavus Adolphus, Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Wisconsin-River Falls, and Milwaukee School of Engineering can have their moments.

Compared to the teams in the east, the west mostly have older and/or smaller rinks that don't accommodate like Utica, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Geneseo, or Norwich do.
                    Adrian.....come on man 500 people.....a shame if you ever want to go see your team play there, a great program with a shoebox for a rink.

Comment

I'll also say Oswego's average attendance slightly inflated by no shower season ticket holders. Would chop 200 off of whatever the article stated as average like 2,600 I think. Only game that place is for filled to the teeth for is Plattsburgh and man is that an environment.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
                        I'll also say Oswego's average attendance slightly inflated by no shower season ticket holders. Would chop 200 off of whatever the article stated as average like 2,600 I think. Only game that place is for filled to the teeth for is Plattsburgh and man is that an environment.
                        I loved playing in front of the Zoo in Romney at Oswego,that said,I have also been to 6 or 7 Whiteout Weekend games against Platty and man that is a crazy atmosphere.

Comment

Adrian.....come on man 500 people.....a shame if you ever want to go see your team play there, a great program with a shoebox for a rink.
                          I think with standing it’s closer to a 1000 if that matters to you.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

I think with standing it’s closer to a 1000 if that matters to you.
                            Still your really asking for it to be 1000, it's akin to the cooler at Hobart, just sad for a top tier team. Few years back we had the playoff game at Hobart, the number of fans that couldn't watch because it was held there vice our rink was ridiculous. You had to have the voucher to get in which was a joke.

Comment

Still your really asking for it to be 1000, it's akin to the cooler at Hobart, just sad for a top tier team. Few years back we had the playoff game at Hobart, the number of fans that couldn't watch because it was held there vice our rink was ridiculous. You had to have the voucher to get in which was a joke.
                              This is funny. First Adrian and now Hobart. They didn’t consult Oswego before building their rinks?
                              2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Working...
                              X