Somewhat of a Change of Pace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat of a Change of Pace

Can't help but think that part of the story is missing...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...baby-1.4400077

Re: Somewhat of a Change of Pace

Has she committed to Harvard?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

That's just wrong.

Oh, I'm not talking about gay marriage or having two women start a family. I'm perfectly okay with that. God bless them.

I'm talking about the Canadian captain and the American captain of women's hockey teams starting a family. That's just wrong. :-)
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

So Ouellette had the baby. Here is an interesting question -- does the baby actually have any automatic claim to American citizenship (unless she was born in America, but it sounds like she wasn't)? She obviously isn't biologically related to Chu. So, depending on if and where the mothers got married, Chu may have to formerly "adopt" the child in order to provide it dual citizenship. I find this an interesting legal issue.

I didn't realize Chu was coaching Concordia. I know some years ago she was the assistant coach at Union.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          So Ouellette had the baby. Here is an interesting question -- does the baby actually have any automatic claim to American citizenship (unless she was born in America, but it sounds like she wasn't)? She obviously isn't biologically related to Chu. So, depending on if and where the mothers got married, Chu may have to formerly "adopt" the child in order to provide it dual citizenship. I find this an interesting legal issue.
          It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.

Comment

I didn't realize Chu was coaching Concordia. I know some years ago she was the assistant coach at Union.
            They're married aren't they? Then the child has dual citizenship and can be either PM, Governor General, or President.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Has she committed to Harvard?
              If so, they just seem to commit earlier and earlier every year. Anyway, congrats to the proud parents.

Comment

a college educated white woman in Canada having a baby, that's news indeed

They're married aren't they? Then the child has dual citizenship and can be either PM, Governor General, or President.
                well, maybe not

US Constitution, Article II, Section 1
                No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President

•Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
                •Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national

obviously strictly read, no
                but we all know Utopians make it up as they go

I'll leave it to you to figure out if they are married
                Last edited by pokechecker; 11-14-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to both of the new mothers.
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Not sure that is that obvious given current medical technology of in vitro implantation and embryo transplants. The daughter of one of my cousins is the biological parent of the baby her wife gave birth to. It is a bit of a brave new world.

Whatever, she is a beautiful little baby and I wish her well. Given her hockey background one has to expect she will be a hockey player and commits to Harvard in due course.
                    Of course at my age I will be lucky to be around when she is old enough for college but if I am I will have the nurse wheel me in and wipe the drool off my chin as I cheer the girl on.

Comment

And shackled to the US government for life.

If automatic dual citizenship is conferred then too bad for the kid.

If these parents have any say in that matter (they should immediately educate themselves fully on the topic) they would be crazy to saddle the kid with the yoke of US citizenship because of the draconian FATCA law. US citizenship as a result would seriously limit the kid's future financial options with the heavy handed greedy US government following the kid wherever she goes digging it's dirty hands into her pockets...even if she never lives in the US. It would be unnecessarily sentencing their kid to a life as an indentured servant. What responsible parent would ever knowingly do that to their kid?

It's actually criminal what the US government does and has done to people by wielding this self serving parasitic law.

Of the government for the government.
                      Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-03-2017, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Aside from the usual issue of the real world the rest of us live in being a lot less alarming than the one in Blackbeard's head, it would be a lot easier for the kid to renounce American citizenship when she's old enough to do her own taxes if she decides that reporting her foreign accounts to the IRS is really that onerous than it would be to try to gain U.S. citizenship if she decides that she wants it.

With that, I'm done with the topic. If other people want to read up on FATCA, feel free to do so, but I don't recommend it. I only do so because a graduate education in accounting can seriously warp your idea of what constitutes interesting reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          Aside from the usual issue of the real world the rest of us live in being a lot less alarming than the one in Blackbeard's head, it would be a lot easier for the kid to renounce American citizenship when she's old enough to do her own taxes if she decides that reporting her foreign accounts to the IRS is really that onerous than it would be to try to gain U.S. citizenship if she decides that she wants it.

With that, I'm done with the topic. If other people want to read up on FATCA, feel free to do so, but I don't recommend it. I only do so because a graduate education in accounting can seriously warp your idea of what constitutes interesting reading.
                          I think you've missed my point. If she never sets foot in the US but has US citizenship conferred upon her by virtue of one of her "parents" being a US citizen, if she is not eventually educated on the topic (and assuming this law is not repealed), she could end up having two countries chasing her for income tax...the one in which she resides and earns income and the other being the US even though she would have availed herself of no services whatsoever from the US. How much disposable income do you figure is left over when two countries each get their pound of flesh? Even if you like the idea of having your money stolen from you at the point of a gun do you figure twice as much theft perpetrated on a victim is twice as good?

There are lots of other issues other than the one that I just mentioned that flow from this criminality which has caused many US citizens to reluctantly renounce their citizenship basically because they were forced into a position by their own heavy handed parasitic US government (most are pretty bad but the US takes the cake...unfortunately for their citizens) where they had no other attractive choice. Think about that for a minute.

So, you may want to ask yourself...if you're not aware of these issues, if you are not aware of the horror stories that have been endured by countless numbers of people as a result of this law, their lives turned upside down from being tormented by their own government, if you are not aware of many other similar serious transgressions that occur daily around us...how real can the world that you think that you are living in really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            Not sure that is that obvious given current medical technology of in vitro implantation and embryo transplants. The daughter of one of my cousins is the biological parent of the baby her wife gave birth to. It is a bit of a brave new world.
                            Now we're talking Appalachia... LOL

But, for the purposes of my point, if you are not directly biologically related to your parents, the parent has to officially adopt the child.

And even then, if the child is born outside the U.S., you have to register the birth at the nearest U.S. Embassy within a certain amount of time to declare them immediate U.S. citizens (I know because a few of my nephews were born in Japan with both parents being U.S. citizens).
                            Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 12-04-2017, 12:03 PM.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Now we're talking Appalachia... LOL

But, for the purposes of my point, if you are not directly biologically related to your parents, the parent has to officially adopt the child.

And even then, if the child is born outside the U.S., you have to register the birth at the nearest U.S. Embassy within a certain amount of time to declare them immediate U.S. citizens (I know because a few of my nephews were born in Japan with both parents being U.S. citizens).
                              Another consequence of SSM that needs to be addressed (if it hasn't already) by the legislatures.

Thought - what's on the child's birth certificate under parents?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X