American International College 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American International College 2017-18

Strange to feel optimistic about the team after getting swept at home to start the season, but the Jackets simply outplayed Army every period of the weekend except the first on Friday. Skog was a little rusty in game one and two of those goals were flukey. But the story of the weekend was Army's Cole Bruns who appears to be picking up where Gahagen left off. The guy stood on his head.

What freshman we saw looked promising except for Kapcheck. He's not promising, he's delivering. The kid plays as advertised. And Ryan Papa, the St. Cloud graduate transfer, was great in game one. Strong forecheck, fast skater, he clearly was irritating Army's players. Not sure why he didn't play on Saturday.

I'm heading out to the JAR tonight to finally see a game there while there's still time. No Bruns at Bentley!
    Last edited by Leather Lungs; 10-10-2017, 12:19 PM.

Re: American International College 2017-18

Many teams start out the regular season dropping a few which they would like to have back, goaltending can be shaky right now and bounces over the long run balance out but not in an opening weekend. Generally shot totals mostly tell a story and AIC outshooting Army by a margin of 30 – 21 & 35 – 21 respectively is a good sign. I say mostly however as some teams coaching philosophy seems to be to sacrifice offense for trying to win contests by a single digit, and collapse in their defensive zone as a tactic to that end. Army is a well-coached team, the Bentley team tonight takes on even more importance and will sure to be a barn burner.

It is going to be a very tight conference this season, great for fans since every night should bring out the best in competition.

I'll be glued to the set tonight watching this one, AIC will have a burr under their britch and Bentley is a solid team who isn't likely to give ground lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
      Many teams start out the regular season dropping a few which they would like to have back, goaltending can be shaky right now and bounces over the long run balance out but not in an opening weekend. Generally shot totals mostly tell a story and AIC outshooting Army by a margin of 30 – 21 & 35 – 21 respectively is a good sign. I say mostly however as some teams coaching philosophy seems to be to sacrifice offense for trying to win contests by a single digit, and collapse in their defensive zone as a tactic to that end. Army is a well-coached team, the Bentley team tonight takes on even more importance and will sure to be a barn burner.

It is going to be a very tight conference this season, great for fans since every night should bring out the best in competition.

I'll be glued to the set tonight watching this one, AIC will have a burr under their britch and Bentley is a solid team who isn't likely to give ground lightly.
      Bentley is not one of those teams that collapses in their D zone; should be a wide open game tonight at the JAR, as they usually are. Enjoy the pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Bentley is not one of those teams that collapses in their D zone; should be a wide open game tonight at the JAR, as they usually are. Enjoy the pizza.
        Fairly wide open game. Certainly more so than this weekend's matches. But the pizza; I haven't been that let down since the series finale of Lost. The crust is pretty good, but beyond that I'm clueless as to what everyone's raving about. Loved the JAR, however. Very reminiscent of the Olympia.

I'm glad AIC is on the board with a point, but the Jackets almost had the win. Still feeling optimistic. They will finish higher than ninth.

Comment

Snively65, i was not speaking to Bentley with that comment but rather a separate team.

With that said watched the game tonight and thought Bentley's passing was off for at least a period and a half, started to come round in the middle of the second. If i recall all but 1 goal was by specialty team, both teams will need to generate more even strength but again it is very early in the season. Was impressed by a couple of canons for both teams on the blue line, equipment or not that has got to sting.

Impressed by AIC goaltender Skog, 6'4" and sure to steal his share of points over this season.
          Last edited by Blitz; 10-10-2017, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
            Snively65, i was not speaking to Bentley with that comment but rather a separate team.

With that said watched the game tonight and thought Bentley's passing was off for at least a period and a half, started to come round in the middle of the second. If i recall all but 1 goal was by specialty team, both teams will need to generate more even strength but again it is very early in the season. Was impressed by a couple of canons for both teams on the blue line, equipment or not that has got to sting.

Impressed by AIC goaltender Skog, 6'4" and sure to steal his share of points over this season.
            Agreed that Bentley's passing was horrendous tonight. I am hoping that was a symptom of their first game of the season, as their passing had been improving the past couple of years. Despite Skog's 35 saves, I do not think he was really tested much tonight. The Falcons will miss French this year, as he was our only forward who could create his own shot. Nevertheless, felt like a win for Bentley to me, by coming back late to score the only even-strength goal for the tie.

LL, I was just joking about the pizza; I should have used an appropriate emoticon. Be happy that you survived the pizza, which we hope will not follow our team to the new rink on campus in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              LL, I was just joking about the pizza; I should have used an appropriate emoticon. Be happy that you survived the pizza, which we hope will not follow our team to the new rink on campus in February.
              Have I completely missed all the sarcasm about this pizza?! No one actually likes it? I could've sworn I even heard about the famed JAR pizza on some podcast or another.

Wow, I feel like a rube.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                Have I completely missed all the sarcasm about this pizza?! No one actually likes it? I could've sworn I even heard about the famed JAR pizza on some podcast or another.

Wow, I feel like a rube.
                The Pizza might be the worst pizza I've ever had in my entire life.... and I've had a lot of it

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post

Wow, I feel like a rube.
                  The hot chocolate is actually pretty good! Same with the popcorn. If you’re looking for a real meal, head across the parking lot to Russo’s. Awesome food/sandwiches

Comment

Paging Ryan Papa...

Seriously, where's Papa?!

Comment

Fantastic win against #11 Penn State. Even the loss the night before saw the Jackets score five goals, two of which lifted them from 7-3 to 7-5 and quieted the student section some.

On a peripherally related note: Joel Kocur is pretty good at skating in and out of heavy traffic and maintaining possession of the puck. And yet he only had five points last year. He's at four now. This could be his breakout year.

Comment

wow, nice going.
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Papa has a concussion.

Friday's game was very complete. Skog should have stopped both goals(at least in my opinion) And Thursday's game should have been 7-6.

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                            Papa has a concussion.

Friday's game was very complete. Skog should have stopped both goals(at least in my opinion) And Thursday's game should have been 7-6.
                            That's not good news. But he should take all the time he needs. The team will be fine.

Any idea about Christensen?

Comment

Working...
                            X