Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Looking to go to the RIT games at army next weekend. Anyone have any suggestions on where to sit? Is there a usual section RIT fans sit in?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by kwh7433 View Post
      Looking to go to the RIT games at army next weekend. Anyone have any suggestions on where to sit? Is there a usual section RIT fans sit in?

Thanks in advance!
      Downstate goes there all the time. I've been there once, sat at the end opposite the entrance, think the tigers shot at that goal twice. Make sure everybody has ID or you may not get in the gate. They were very thorough and we almost got turned around. Ten years ago but doubt that part had changed.
      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Also, although I'm sure you know this already, don't yell "Tigers" at the end of the anthem; that'll get you a one-way ticket to US 9W as well. It is still a military base.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          Downstate goes there all the time. I've been there once, sat at the end opposite the entrance, think the tigers shot at that goal twice. Make sure everybody has ID or you may not get in the gate. They were very thorough and we almost got turned around. Ten years ago but doubt that part had changed.
          Yup, I'm a season ticket holder there, so I get to make all my Army friends crazy by wearing my RIT jersey to all of the Army home games no matter who Army is playing. Sometimes I will wear an RPI jersey as well, to pay respects to that great school too, that's usually on a Saturday if RIT loses on a Friday night . I wear my 1960 USA Olympic replica jersey when Royal Military College Paladins from Kingston, Ontario pays West Point a visit.

Everything Blaze and Flaggy said are true. It's getting onto West Point that is difficult. When approaching the gates at West Point you have two lanes, the DoD lane (Department of Defense) and everybody else. DoD folks have a sticker on their windshield. The other lane is the civilian lane, that's the lane for you. Often this lane backs up a bit, don't fret, you will get there and don't be tempted to go to the DoD lane, they will likely send you back into the other lane. All adults in a vehicle must have an ID (drivers license is the way to go) which will be checked. Also depending on what may or may not be going on at West Point that you and I know nothing about (and the type of vehicle you drive) they may ask the driver to exit the vehicle and open the trunk and/or pop the hood for a quick look see. It's totally random, I'm there all the time and I often get asked too. You may also be asked if there are any weapons in the vehicle, so leave them home. As I approach the gate, I turn my head lights off (the guards appreciate that) I open both windows on the side of my car in which the guard is standing, and I turn my overhead light on. Just that act kind of lets the guard know that I've been through the gate before and facilitates him having a look inside my vehicle. Simple as that. Once on West Point obey the speed limit...the MP's love to give tickets to folks zooming through West Point trying to get into their seats before puck drop. Parking at Tate Rink usually involves parking in one of two upper parking lots so be prepared for steps, down on the way to the game, up on the way back to the parking lots. There is some limited handicap parking in front of the rink and there usually is an attendant to assist with that parking if you require that. Every once in a while they check bags going into the game but very rarely, but be cognizant of that. No alcohol in Tate Rink but I've seen folks tailgating and having an adult beverage or two in the parking lot before the game.

As for seating, the lower portion of the rink is seat back seating, the upper portion benches. If possible, try to get seat backs, much more comfortable, equal to GPC and more comfortable than Houston Field House (sorry Flag, the Engineers have to realize we've all gotten bigger and wider since WWII). Generally fans from visiting teams sit behind the visiting players bench. The netting behind the goals comes up to about the face off circles on each end of the ice. So if you can get around the blue line behind the visiting bench in the seat back section, that is your best bet. If you get too close to the goal lines at either end you will be looking through the netting although it is pretty thin stuff so it is not bad. Teams are on the same side, across the ice are the two penalty boxes with the time keeper in between. Between periods generally they have a couple of kids teams on the ice, or a chuck a puck deal going on. Food is fair, your normal burgers, dogs, chicken fingers, popcorn like at other rinks that in recent years is a little pricey but not Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park pricey. Credit Cards accepted.

That's about it. RIT has the largest and loudest fan base to visit Tate Rink, and absolutely rile up the Army fan base which for the most part are more reserved. Nothing is funnier than listening to the RIT fans starting the "RIT" chant before the RIT players step onto the ice between the first and second or second and third periods. Generally Army fans look at each other with a 'hey they can't do that" look on their faces. At that point they start cheering for Army, or you hear young kids screaming "suck" after every "RIT" chant. It makes good fun, but I generally play Switzerland and sit on my hands when RIT visits. I hope this helps a bit, I heard that the RIT Alumni Association is having a get together at Thayer Hotel on West Point prior to the Friday night game, for a nominal cost you get a pre-game meal and a ticket to the game, I'm sure they would have more details if that interests anyone. And Flaggy is right, no one shouts "Tigers" at the end of the anthem, that would NOT be a good idea...I let my freak flag fly when visiting RIT or RPI but just sit back and enjoy a good game of hockey at Tate.
          Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Much appreciated everyone. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
              If possible, try to get seat backs, much more comfortable, equal to GPC and more comfortable than Houston Field House (sorry Flag, the Engineers have to realize we've all gotten bigger and wider since WWII).
              Hey now, some of the other arenas out there, especially the newer ones, have tiny seats, and much tinier than HFH. Compton (Notre Dame) were especially tiny, and if you ever go there, I recommend standing room. Class of '65 (Colgate) about the same. And I'm, well... let's just say there's a lot for FlagDUDETTE to love, as may have been on display last night. We had standing room last night behind the goal (I don't find the nets really obstruct that much at all, but that's just me), so I don't know the size of your chairs. Obviously you don't play at either of the rinks I mentioned this year, but just in case you take a trip there in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                No one was expecting us to be in the running for at-large bids.
                And why the heck not?

Or do you mean this season specifically?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  And why the heck not?

Or do you mean this season specifically?

Powers &8^]
                  We are discussing this season, so yeah..this season.

Given where we ended last year and how many question marks we have entering this year, I don't think it's realistic for us to have entered play expecting to be fighting for an at-large bid. This is especially true now that we're three games in.
                  RIT

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Also, although I'm sure you know this already, don't yell "Tigers" at the end of the anthem; that'll get you a one-way ticket to US 9W as well. It is still a military base.
                    I still think that shouldn't happen anywhere, but nobody on here seems to agree. If I were a veteran, soldier, reservist or a military academy student hearing that, I'd be p'ed off. It's disrespectful to something that many hold close to their hearts and have been willing to sweat, bleed, fight and die for. Yes, they've fought for our freedom to do (stupid) things like that, but as I believe: "Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it."
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

This weekend was like a nightmare rewind of last season. Sloppy coverage, goaltending that just wasn't good enough, and a disheartening Injury. In the past I'd just say move on, but giving recent history you have to worried that this may be a trend. The only good news is I guess you could say they took less undisciplined penalties...

Not that we want to lose either of them, but it really would have been better to have an injury happen to the other Norrish twin. I am not saying that cause I think Brady is better than Chase, but because Brady shots Right. We have the left shots to spare, but not the right. Wayne is now forced to either put Chase on the right side, or he'd have to put another left handed shot there as there are only two defensemen left who shot Right, Darren Brady and Regan Seiferling. The injury to Brady affected the opening goal and Chase forced a bad shot that was blocked and than neither him nor Abt could get back and break up the resulting 2 on 1.

Defensive coverage this weekend was night and day difference than what it was at Blue Cross. Even if we had to alternate two goaltenders I was extra comfortable with the defensive core that would be in front of them. Now I am not so comfortable. I have no idea who will get the start against Army on Friday. Honestly my only correct guess was Short against Union, and honestly I thought he would get his start at Blue Cross (Think Wayne just likes making me look bad ). I was a little surprise to see Drackett come out first Saturday. We all know how each place in the standings are separated by just a point or two. So I really expected Andriano to get more of a look against RPI. I really feel for Short, his playing time last year was confusing to me. He didn't get much help against Union, but also didn't do himself a lot of favor either. It hard to say where he goes from here. Drackett was very good against Northeastern and really not so good against RPI. Yeah again he didn't get much help, but as they say goaltenders need to give their team the opportunity to win. Andriano has a small sample size and this is an Army team coming in that has great odds of making it to Blue Cross.

My guess is Drackett will get the start. But he probably hate me for that prediction as a already noted my record of predicting starting goaltending is about what the Tigers record is now...
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                        I admire your optimism and looking at this more like a glass half full rather than empty but I am indeed worried. We just didn't get beat, we got blown out of the water on both nights. The gel we were hoping for did not happen this weekend and we still will be looking for it next weekend in West Point.
                        I completely agree that the Union (and NU, for that matter) completely dominated the play of the games against the Tigers. The atrocious goaltending in the first period on Friday (Short did settle down a bit after that, to be fair) made it that much tougher.

I disagree, however, about the RPI game. I think goaltending is almost (along with the penalties and lack of finish by the shooters that cost the Tigers a few choice opportunities) the sole reason they lost that game at all, let alone by 5 goals. In my estimation, at LEAST 5 (possibly even 6) of those goals could be put squarely on the goalies (Andriano's goal looked weak from my angle). The Tigers out-shot and out-hit RPI, while generally playing at least even in terms of tempo and winning 50-50 battles for pucks (unlike the NU or Union games). It's just really difficult to play well with no confidence in the last line of defense. Goaltending like that will get us a quick trip to 11th place this season. I'm not exaggerating to make a point either. I just hope this was a one time aberration and our freshmen come out and play more like Drackett did against NU. I was very surprised to see him play the way he did this week after watching him last week. He just seemed a bit out of sorts, indecisive, fighting the puck and way way too aggressive leaving his crease to play the puck. He's obviously pretty good at puck handling, but needs to learn to pick his spots. Experience will get him there. What surprised me more is that Andriano didn't get a start this weekend. I imagined that Coach was going to give each stopper one OOC game prior to the Army contests and the start of the conference schedule. Maybe he knows from practice that Andriano isn't ready. If Drackett is the Tigers best hope with Short as the backup, we'd better hope RPI was the aberration, not NU.

We all knew prior to the season that goaltending was RIT's largest question mark. So far, we can't like the answers. It can only get better, right?
                        The lack of offensive finishing ability (how many shots went wide this weekend? - sheesh) is nothing new for this team, but still needs to be overcome somehow.
                        Last season both Norrish brothers were lost and the season went a bit off the rails. So far we've already lost one of them. The remaining healthy Norrish needs to keep out of the penalty box. Between Chase and Girduckis this weekend, the team couldn't find any kind of groove because of the stupid and lazy penalties.
                        Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 10-23-2017, 12:06 PM.
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                          I was very surprised to see him play the way he did this week after watching him last week.
                          Against NU most of the shots came from outside. Against RPI most of the shots came from in close. I think that's the difference.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                            Against NU most of the shots came from outside. Against RPI most of the shots came from in close. I think that's the difference.

Powers &8^]
                            There were a couple of great opportunities down low that Drackett made dazzling saves on. Freshmen goaltenders can be up and down as they adapt to college hockey. Let me tell you about one I am very familiar with from my old D-III days.

He was hurt to start his freshman year with a stress fracture. When he was healthy enough to play he was thrown into the fire against Elmira in a great hockey game that ended in a 2-2 tie. Next start was at Plattsburgh in the famous Plattsburgh/Oswego rivalry. He allowed only 2 goals, including a dazzling glove save that started a premature tennis ball throw, when all was said and Oswego had a big win at Platty. After two games against two of the better teams in D-III he had the worst game of his hockey career against Geneseo, allowing 7 goals in a 7-6 loss. I recall him say "Man, I don't think I ever allowed 7 goals ever". Even though I was afraid he might ride the bench, coach went back to him on his next schedule start and he responded with his first career shutout of New England College. But the roller coaster came back in his next start in a 3-2 loss to Fredonia. May not sound bad, but the game winning goal came from center ice. All though I will point out that the linesmen missed that the play was off-sides, nevertheless the goal counted. He came back to beat Hobart at the famed Geneva Recreation Arena when his team was outplayed for much of the night. He then beat RIT at the Ritter, one of 2 victories over RIT (which I am still reminded of to this day) and secured the number 1 spot on his team and never let it go. He racked the awards during his career 1st Team All-Conference Goaltender and Freshman of the year in Conference. 2nd Team All-Conference Junior Year. 1st Team All-Conference Senior Year. 2006-2007 All-American and a National Championship win, while setting the record for most saves in a National Championship game.

Now I have no idea if Drackett or Andriano will go on to such a career. Point is don't be surprise if a Freshman Goaltender has a bit of a roller coaster ride.
                            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule
                            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                              There were a couple of great opportunities down low that Drackett made dazzling saves on. Freshmen goaltenders can be up and down as they adapt to college hockey. Let me tell you about one I am very familiar with from my old D-III days.

He was hurt to start his freshman year with a stress fracture. When he was healthy enough to play he was thrown into the fire against Elmira in a great hockey game that ended in a 2-2 tie. Next start was at Plattsburgh in the famous Plattsburgh/Oswego rivalry. He allowed only 2 goals, including a dazzling glove save that started a premature tennis ball throw, when all was said and Oswego had a big win at Platty. After two games against two of the better teams in D-III he had the worst game of his hockey career against Geneseo, allowing 7 goals in a 7-6 loss. I recall him say "Man, I don't think I ever allowed 7 goals ever". Even though I was afraid he might ride the bench, coach went back to him on his next schedule start and he responded with his first career shutout of New England College. But the roller coaster came back in his next start in a 3-2 loss to Fredonia. May not sound bad, but the game winning goal came from center ice. All though I will point out that the linesmen missed that the play was off-sides, nevertheless the goal counted. He came back to beat Hobart at the famed Geneva Recreation Arena when his team was outplayed for much of the night. He then beat RIT at the Ritter, one of 2 victories over RIT (which I am still reminded of to this day) and secured the number 1 spot on his team and never let it go. He racked the awards during his career 1st Team All-Conference Goaltender and Freshman of the year in Conference. 2nd Team All-Conference Junior Year. 1st Team All-Conference Senior Year. 2006-2007 All-American and a National Championship win, while setting the record for most saves in a National Championship game.

Now I have no idea if Drackett or Andriano will go on to such a career. Point is don't be surprise if a Freshman Goaltender has a bit of a roller coaster ride.
                              I can't speak for everyone on here, but I believe none of us are going to write off a Freshman over one bad game.
                              It's just that we may have to ride the coaster for a while, which means the team may not get out of the doldrums right away.
                              We just need to hope the coaster goes on an upward trend and that that game doesn't become typical for the guy. The NU start definitely showed his potential, which is encouraging. We know he's capable as long as he learns and grows and doesn't let the bad games get into his head, he'll probably do just fine.
                              Unfortunately, the fan base is pretty anxious for the Tigers to get back into a contender role that any sign that we may potentially not have that championship level goaltending for the next few seasons can be nerve wracking. And some of us "older" fans may have been spoiled in the past with goalies that come in and make an impact immediately when their number was called (Morris, Euvermann, Guimond, DeMichiel, Madolora,....). Lately that hasn't necessarily been the case. Ruby and Rotolo were good, even very good at times, but not to the consistently dominating degree from the beginning as many of their predecessors.

Comment

There is a TON of hockey to be played. The conference season hasn't even started. Two of the teams RIT played were preseason ranked, so it's not like they played weak teams. I think the team will be up and down for a bit this year in goaltending given the inexperience and there may be games the offense will need to win the game for RIT.

We should see some great wins, but will probably be some tough losses. Just have to enjoy the ride.
                                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2010 Frozen Four participant
                                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                                X