Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    The radio guys assert Short isn't getting much help. They played great in front of Drackett -- very few quality looks for Northeastern.

Powers &8^]
    Drackett tracked the puck much better than Short has. It's really no contest whatsoever. The 2nd goal was inexcusable, and there was a post hit before Union cracked the scoreboard that had no business getting beyond him either. Even Wilson apparently said to the telecast reporter between the 1st and 2nd periods that Short needs to make those saves. This is the goaltending we got last season. It's clearly not division 1 caliber. What Drackett gave us last weekend absolutely was. Obviously one game is a short sample size and Drackett may not end up being what we need, or this could just be a poor game from an actually improved from last year Short, but the caliber of play from him tonight is not good enough at this level. If Wilson really does want to get from 3 to 2 goalies sooner rather than later, and Andriano is in the mix and puts out a good start tomorrow against RPI, Short may not see the ice again.

Comment

Great broadcast, thank you RIT! Your rink looks really nice too!
      If RIT can figure out how to keep their foot on the gas for 60 minutes, they'll be a handful. A large part of Union's win was consistency throughout the game.
      Good luck for the rest of the season!
      Let's go Union !
      ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
      ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
      NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
        Barring injury, this may be Short's last Tiger appearance. He's been behind the play from the opening faceoff. Beat clean on the 1st, a truly horrendous 2nd, and certainly a stoppable 3rd, and a little fortunate it's not worse. Night and day in terms of reading the play and tracking the puck compared to Drackett last weekend. I'm honestly surprised they didn't pull him at the time out.
        The radio guys assert Short isn't getting much help. They played great in front of Drackett -- very few quality looks for Northeastern.

Powers &8^]
        Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
        Drackett tracked the puck much better than Short has. It's really no contest whatsoever. The 2nd goal was inexcusable, and there was a post hit before Union cracked the scoreboard that had no business getting beyond him either. Even Wilson apparently said to the telecast reporter between the 1st and 2nd periods that Short needs to make those saves. This is the goaltending we got last season. It's clearly not division 1 caliber. What Drackett gave us last weekend absolutely was. Obviously one game is a short sample size and Drackett may not end up being what we need, or this could just be a poor game from an actually improved from last year Short, but the caliber of play from him tonight is not good enough at this level. If Wilson really does want to get from 3 to 2 goalies sooner rather than later, and Andriano is in the mix and puts out a good start tomorrow against RPI, Short may not see the ice again.
        Short hasn't been good ever. At best he was a decent backup to stop the bleeding when Rotolo got hurt, but his numbers were bad in 2015 and awful in 2016. None of you could keep a straight face and say that what Short has shown us the last 2 years is even average D1 hockey material. He's always out of position, slow to react, and easily flustered. He's very big, and being very big at a young age will get you a lot of chances and a lot of success in lower levels of hockey. Unfortunately we're seeing that size isn't everything at this level, and the saves that he might have made with size alone in juniors won't cut it against faster, better shots in D1.

The guy is not going to suddenly morph into a good goalie after 21 starts at this level. Nice of coach to let him play in an out of conference game, but he does not deserve another meaningful start.

17 games in 2015: 8-6-3/2.76 GAA /0.889sv%
        3 games in 2016: 0-1-0/6.02 GAA/0.763sv%
        Last edited by RIT Winters; 10-20-2017, 10:31 PM.
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          Short hasn't been good ever. At best he was a decent backup to stop the bleeding when Rotolo got hurt, but his numbers were bad in 2015 and awful in 2016. None of you could keep a straight face and say that what Short has shown us the last 2 years is even average D1 hockey material. He's always out of position, slow to react, and easily flustered. He's very big, and being very big at a young age will get you a lot of chances and a lot of success in lower levels of hockey. Unfortunately we're seeing that size isn't everything at this level, and the saves that he might have made with size alone in juniors won't cut it against faster, better shots in D1.

The guy is not going to suddenly morph into a good goalie after 21 starts at this level. Nice of coach to let him play in an out of conference game, but he does not deserve another meaningful start.

17 games in 2015: 8-6-3/2.76 GAA /0.889sv%
          3 games in 2016: 0-1-0/6.02 GAA/0.763sv%
          Well that effort was pretty disappointing. Unions record did not reflect how good their team is and I expected Union to play well and win however I did not expect what I saw from RIT. Looking at the ECAC pick'ems I was surprised at how many picked RIT over an 0-5 Union. Obviously people were swayed by RITs performance against NU..

From last year we saw how great goaltending can propel fairly evenly matched teams to the top of the standings, AF, Army,and Canisius benefited from great goaltending and you could see the confidence in those teams increase as the season progressed as they won the majority of their tight low scoring contests.

The opposite is true of bad goaltending, a couple soft ones get by and the defense starts holding their sticks a little tighter. If the AHC teams are really bunched that close like we all like to say it will be the goaltending that carries whomever to the top of the standings.

The good news is these OOC games are where RIT likes to figure these things out. Last night is behind them, a new game tonight against a new opponent. While I'd like to see RIT return the favor from last years loss to RPI in Troy, I'd also like to see a better effort than we saw last night (I have a rooting interest in both schools so I am just hoping for a competitive game from both teams). Everyone loves the new rink and the wonderful broadcasts judging by the posts of fans from other teams so the RIT product on the ice needs to match that commitment. If that means different personnel and mixing and matching so be it. RIT's conference schedule begins next week at Tate Rink in West Point. Coach and staff need to figure it out by then and I'm confident they will.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

The news about Brady is tough. Hopefully the rest of the defenseman step up.

Last night's effort was disappointing on many levels. The game was very one sided in favor of Union in a lot of facets of the game. They were desperate or a win.

I expect a better game tonight. Probably Adraino gets the start since he has not played yet. I think Drackett had the inside track to start when the real season starts next week.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I noted that Coach Wilson was very careful not to put too much blame on a lack of effort or motivation on the part of the Tigers.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I noted that Coach Wilson was very careful not to put too much blame on a lack of effort or motivation on the part of the Tigers.

Powers &8^]
                Not sure who's going to be in goal next weekend.
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                  Not sure who's going to be in goal next weekend.
                  Lost our best D-man, and we have no goalies....everything we saw this weekend sets RIT up for a long season, certainly not a top half of the standings team...bonus points to RPI for bringing their band and entertaining the GPC faithful, bonus points as well to the RIT band for being good hosts...and finally congrats to our fellow AHC teams that were able to garner points from their OOC foes this weekend...well done.
                  Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-21-2017, 09:05 PM.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    Lost our best D-man, and we have no goalies....everything we saw this weekend sets RIT up for a long season, certainly not a top half of the standings team...bonus points to RPI for bringing their band and entertaining the GPC faithful, bonus points as well to the RIT band for being good hosts...and finally congrats to our fellow AHC teams that were able to garner points from their OOC foes this weekend...well done.
                    No one will ever accuse me of being an optimist about this team....however; I'm not worried yet. RIT has always been a slow starting team and has always lost the vast majority of it's October OOC games. While we'd all like to change this, at the end of the day the last 3 games are all but irrelevant in reality. No one was expecting us to be in the running for at-large bids.

Goaltending is still a question mark. Drackett has now put together one great start and one terrible start, so who knows which one is more indicative of his ability. The other freshman still hasn't played, other than a few minutes of garbage time tonight. It's still entirely possible our goaltending stabilizes or even becomes a strength. Time will tell. I'd expect the freshman to split starts for awhile until one emerges.

Also, I'm not sure I'd call Brady our top D-man. He's probably our top offense generating D-man, but strictly speaking defensively he's not our best and as long as his brother stays healthy, we still have one of the Norrishs. Chase has been the better brother since their sophomore season, anyway. If one player makes or breaks your team, that's definitely a problem. I don't really think that's true for RIT though, as long as we can keep one of them on the ice and keep the rest of the D intact.
                    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      No one will ever accuse me of being an optimist about this team....however; I'm not worried yet. RIT has always been a slow starting team and has always lost the vast majority of it's October OOC games. While we'd all like to change this, at the end of the day the last 3 games are all but irrelevant in reality. No one was expecting us to be in the running for at-large bids.

Goaltending is still a question mark. Drackett has now put together one great start and one terrible start, so who knows which one is more indicative of his ability. The other freshman still hasn't played, other than a few minutes of garbage time tonight. It's still entirely possible our goaltending stabilizes or even becomes a strength. Time will tell. I'd expect the freshman to split starts for awhile until one emerges.

Also, I'm not sure I'd call Brady our top D-man. He's probably our top offense generating D-man, but strictly speaking defensively he's not our best and as long as his brother stays healthy, we still have one of the Norrishs. Chase has been the better brother since their sophomore season, anyway. If one player makes or breaks your team, that's definitely a problem. I don't really think that's true for RIT though, as long as we can keep one of them on the ice and keep the rest of the D intact.
                      I admire your optimism and looking at this more like a glass half full rather than empty but I am indeed worried. We just didn't get beat, we got blown out of the water on both nights. The gel we were hoping for did not happen this weekend and we still will be looking for it next weekend in West Point.
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Nice rink. Not too enthused about the security theatre. I'm shocked y'all didn't trail a back boor skater to the net every single time you had the puck in the zone after the first two goals. Kick some butt in your league; we'll try to do the same, so we end up both looking good in a few months.

Comment

That was an extremely discouraging weekend from a goaltending perspective.

EDIT: As to RIT Winters comments re: the Norrish brothers, I thought Chase had a brutal weekend. The lazy cross-checking penalty to create a 5 on 3 on Friday night at 3-1 and the giveaway right out of the gate tonight are plays that simply cannot happen. Especially from your captain. He seems to want the one-timer on the power play way too deep in the corner of the point as well, although that might be a structural aspect of the power play as Abt drifted there a couple of times too. I simply think Brady has been the more steady defenseman, where Chase has been more flashy and more prone to the bone headed play (or penalty).
                          Last edited by jflory81; 10-21-2017, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Nice rink. Not too enthused about the security theatre.
                            You made it out alive and that's all that matters 😅
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                              You made it out alive and that's all that matters 😅
                              He's lucky if he makes it out of the Houston Field House alive, let alone an opponents rink.
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                                He's lucky if he makes it out of the Houston Field House alive, let alone an opponents rink.
                                You do what an idle comment like that means as an alternative, yes?

Comment

Working...
                                X