Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    I'm not sure who you're referring to as "mystery community members", but I've been attending most RIT home hockey games for nearly 32 seasons.

If by "the past decade and beyond" you are referring to Coach Hoffberg's "request" that the CC curtail their constant profanity laced cheers back in the 90's, that needed to be done. The CC was always fantastic at making the Ritter a truly difficult place to play, especially for the visiting goaltenders. But at that time, the cursing had been getting a bit out of hand and the NCAA could have denied RIT the chance to host post-season games up to and including the championships. Not only that, but there was also the deterrent to families attending games. I didn't have a kid back then, but now that I do I am appreciative that that is not a part of the repertoire anymore. Not allowing excessive swearing isn't equivalent to cutting off the CC's balls. It's merely forcing the group to channel their creativity that much more in order to remain effectively distracting to opponents and supportive of the Tigers without leaning on the crutch of profanity.
    No I am referring to the oft-cited "community" who are supposed to come flood the GPC once it is made into an idyllic family friendly zone. It's a myth we've been chasing since the Gene opened. And the chants have been getting curtailed consistently since (apparently) the 90's. The trend continued during my years as a student and into today.
    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
      No I am referring to the oft-cited "community" who are supposed to come flood the GPC once it is made into an idyllic family friendly zone. It's a myth we've been chasing since the Gene opened. And the chants have been getting curtailed consistently since (apparently) the 90's. The trend continued during my years as a student and into today.
      What chants do you think have been curtailed recently? Strawberry Shortcake? E to the x? There is no reason we don't do them except that the person who typically has been starting the chants simply has been doing other things with the program such as timekeeper and goal judge. Nobody has really picked up the slack. Big Goon and the rest of us that have been around forever shouldn't have to be the ones to start things. That - and some of the chants seem silly to do when the team is losing.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        I think it's more of a perceived notion than reality. I'd be curious if there was a league trend of lower scoring the last couple years. I know there was some great goaltenders the last couple years.

I took some juniors and seniors stats.
        Powell - 10 points his freshman year, 32 points sophomore, 24 junior, 26 senior. Also 8 points from 100 in his career
        Girduckis - 9, 21, 18
        Brown - 17, 27, 24
        Gabe - 28, 21, 23
        Abt - 9, 8, 18, 13
        Logan - 7, 2, 8
        Kerins - 22, 21, 1
        Chase Norish - 12,21, 14, 7
        Brady Norish - 22, 16, 16, 1
        Mikowski - 5, 0, 3, 3

Obviously you have to discount Brady Norish due to injuries, but he was really proficient his first 2 years. To me, in terms of point production, the only shocker here is how much Liam Kerins dropped off. I thought Mikowski would have developed more after his big flash late in his freshman season.
        . Statistics are misleading. Chemistry, confidence and coaching are factors that play into a players production. But the biggest factor is ice time or toi. Take Kerins for instance. The last 2 yrs he was one of the top 6 forwards who’s toi was approximately 20-22 min. His production was respectable. This yr they placed him on the 3rd and 4th lines where his toi was diminished. His production obviously dropped off. He was also taken off the pp. Logan was a player who was either scratched or a 4th liner the last 2 yrs . He was placed on the 3rd line a couple games ago and his toi increased and his confidence elevated. So his production increased. Mikowski on the other hand was never promoted off the 4th line. His first 2 yrs his one linemate was a defenseman converted to a center. As we all know the 4th line changes pretty much every game. It’s not only your toi is between 4-5 min a game your line mates are different (chemistry). But in the playoff series vs Niagara the 4th line produced 2 goals in 3 games and toi was approximately 10 min total. Yet in the 3rd game the 4th line scored the lone goal in a 4-1 loss and sat on the bench the last 28 min. So the coaches lacked confidence in the players they recruited. Not oneplayer stands out on this team. Another example is Garbowsky who’s toi in his final yr was approximately 25+ min a game. He produced extremely well. When he went to the AHL he was a 4th liner who’s toi was 4-5 min a game. He didn’t get the same opportunity there as the coaches gave him at RIT. The top 2 lines have been the same for the past 2 yrs except for # 21. They have not produced wins. Last yr 8 games below .500. You have players that toi is 20-22 min a game and have 2 pats in there last 12 games. It’s time to change the lines . The coaching staff has nothing to lose. You never know what confidence can do for the other players. They might even start winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by notan allstar View Post
          . Statistics are misleading. Chemistry, confidence and coaching are factors that play into a players production. But the biggest factor is ice time or toi. Take Kerins for instance. The last 2 yrs he was one of the top 6 forwards who’s toi was approximately 20-22 min. His production was respectable. This yr they placed him on the 3rd and 4th lines where his toi was diminished. His production obviously dropped off. He was also taken off the pp. Logan was a player who was either scratched or a 4th liner the last 2 yrs . He was placed on the 3rd line a couple games ago and his toi increased and his confidence elevated. So his production increased. Mikowski on the other hand was never promoted off the 4th line. His first 2 yrs his one linemate was a defenseman converted to a center. As we all know the 4th line changes pretty much every game. It’s not only your toi is between 4-5 min a game your line mates are different (chemistry). But in the playoff series vs Niagara the 4th line produced 2 goals in 3 games and toi was approximately 10 min total. Yet in the 3rd game the 4th line scored the lone goal in a 4-1 loss and sat on the bench the last 28 min. So the coaches lacked confidence in the players they recruited. Not oneplayer stands out on this team. Another example is Garbowsky who’s toi in his final yr was approximately 25+ min a game. He produced extremely well. When he went to the AHL he was a 4th liner who’s toi was 4-5 min a game. He didn’t get the same opportunity there as the coaches gave him at RIT. The top 2 lines have been the same for the past 2 yrs except for # 21. They have not produced wins. Last yr 8 games below .500. You have players that toi is 20-22 min a game and have 2 pats in there last 12 games. It’s time to change the lines . The coaching staff has nothing to lose. You never know what confidence can do for the other players. They might even start winning.
          Good synopsis. This season I never understood Liam’s playing time. For the senior to have only one goal at this point in the season who arguably delivered the Atlantic Hockey Championship for RIT when he took the starch out of RMU’s high powered offense by answering RMUs early goal with two snipes of his own, I’m scratching my head why he is not on one of the top lines regularly. Obviously he excelled when paired with Gabe. Seems like his talent has not been realized this season. Maybe he is banged up but I thought we would see him statistically near the top of RITs offensive charts. As youve written,mixing up the lines might be worth a try to find that magic once again.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Kerins was on the top 2 lines for the first lines and his dropoff is stunning. But aside from his and Gabe's injury factored dropoff, there is no real dropoff from other upperclassmen. My posting of those stats is point out the falsehood that players are not developing.

Logan has managed 8 points from 3rd and 4th line play so he is making the most of his opportunity. We aren't seeing what goes on in practice.

Comment

• Another Friday night game, tone to break the losing streak!
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

I feel like the fact that we're going to play in the Icebreaker Tournament in 2019 hasn't gotten its share of attention here... That's pretty big news, isn't it?

I believe I read that the Icebreaker games don't count against a team's season limit, so we might get two extra NC games that year.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  I feel like the fact that we're going to play in the Icebreaker Tournament in 2019 hasn't gotten its share of attention here... That's pretty big news, isn't it?

I believe I read that the Icebreaker games don't count against a team's season limit, so we might get two extra NC games that year.

Powers &8^]
                  I believe you're right on the two extra games. Just looked at Unions NC schedule as they played in the Icebreaker this season. They have two more NC games over the non-Ivies in the ECAC (RPI, Colgate, St. Lawrence, etc.). Two extra games early in the season can only help.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    I believe you're right on the two extra games. Just looked at Unions NC schedule as they played in the Icebreaker this season. They have two more NC games over the non-Ivies in the ECAC (RPI, Colgate, St. Lawrence, etc.). Two extra games early in the season can only help.
                    Since that year's opponents are not all set, the extra games can only help. I hear Penn State was going to be in the mix for the next cycle of non-conference games, so perhaps this might be part of that. We might get the return trip from Lowell as well.

Comment

I dunno. Are two more non-conference losses really worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                        Two things on this: 1) I've given up the battle on home of the Tigers. I hate that they do that. 2) The majority of players and coaches are Canadian and some are really unhappy about the CC stomping and making noise during O Canada.
                        I knew this was going to bring up the "Home of the Tigers" debate again.

Looks guys, I respect your opinions, but I think your going a little PC overboard here. Which is especially Ironic giving the recent PC change to the Canadian Anthem. I think many who know me would consider me a patriotic guy. And the NFL players anthem protest bother me for the simple fact that they are meant to be disrespectful. Which I don't think any of the kids in the corner crew mean to be. There is kind of a balance here, let us not forget the entire tradition of playing the national anthem before a sporting event was really born out of post World War I, some might even argue propaganda that extended into the cold war. I've always found it nice, but a bit odd that something like that is taken so serious at a game.

Let's be honest, a lot of what the Corner Crew does borders on and ever so often cross the lines of taste, respect, and political correctness. It is the reason why I migrated away after my college days, but I at the same time I can be found at the top crew some days. They are kids, is it really that surprising they are a bit immature? And when they do cross the line, Dave Faas and company does a pretty good of bring the kids back. God I miss Alex Lewis, when people crossed the line he would really get mad and yell at them.

Let's not get over excited over Cornell screaming RED! or Home of the Tigers, or even Home of the Sioux! That really gets them going eh? And with respect to players and coaches, especially considering this season they have better things to worry about...
                        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule
                        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by notan allstar View Post
                          . Take Kerins for instance. The last 2 yrs he was one of the top 6 forwards who’s toi was approximately 20-22 min. His production was respectable. This yr they placed him on the 3rd and 4th lines where his toi was diminished. His production obviously dropped off. He was also taken off the pp.
                          I don't want to beat up on Kerins, but this is not true. He was on the 1st or 2nd line for the first 5 games (counting exhibition). I could see something was off right from the start with him and he was showing a lot of frustration. I know some may not say 5 games is much, but in College hockey we are talking about 15% of the season. Kerins sat, was put back in the line up and just has been a struggle, stats and overall play. I've scratch my head on one or two coaching decisions this season, but not that one. I'd love to get Liam back, we need his scoring touch...
                          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule
                          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                            I dunno. Are two more non-conference losses really worth it?
                            Extra games to get ready for the conference tournament and potentially NCAA tournament should always be welcome. And who knows, they might even win those games.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                              And the NFL players anthem protest bother me for the simple fact that they are meant to be disrespectful.
                              Now, this just isn't true. It was not meant to be disrespectful. Kaepernick started kneeling specifically in order to show respect while still demonstrating his grievances with the nation. He was encouraged to do so by former Seahawks player and Green Beret Nate Boyer, who says, "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...g-to-kneeling/

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Holding my breath. Two goal leads have not been our friend this year..... Let's go Tigers..... only 20 more minutes...

Comment

Working...
                                X