Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by Bing View Post
    Also, if you were the coach, what would you do to try and turn things around for the rest of the season?
    If I knew that, I'd be the coach.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      Well, I don't know all of the numbers, but they have only lost half as many Norrishes for the entire season compared to last year.
      Even so, it's been a big loss for sure. It makes our blue line pretty young.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
        Usually we can blame poor performance on injuries, but it seems like injuries haven't been as much of a problem this year, is that true? Also, if you were the coach, what would you do to try and turn things around for the rest of the season?
        Injuries are never a science. Many can be just to much to over come, but sometimes it just takes one. I've often wonder what would have happen Garbowsky's Junior year if he had not gotten injured for most of it. At the same time you can't really give them the proper respect an injury deserves cause then what does it say about the player replacing the injured one. Everyone gets them, you hope not to many of your key players, you go one when they happen.

As for what I would do if I was the coach...

I offer this fully admitting that Wayne Wilson has many more NCAA wins than I do. I have nothing but admiration and respect for the man who I want to be RIT's coach till he is ready to hang it up. And also lets remember that they just dominated one of the better teams in the league on Saturday.

That being said as Crash said to the skipper in Bull Durham, Scare them, they are kids. I am a big fan of Wayne's calm approach and always keep his cool. But at some points I sure hope he scares them and open up on them in the room. I get a little tired of the supportive talk, which you should be, but there are times kids just need a kick in the behind. At most you only get 4 seasons here guys, make them count because when they are over you will never forget them and give just about anything to go back.

The other thing is stop the dang ride the hot goaltender train. It's not working. I like Andriano and still have high hopes for him, but I think he should have had a start long ago. As Short should have as well. The impression I got was there was going to be a short (no pun) rotation and then a decision was going to get made. That never happen, Drackett has a bunch of talent and I like him too, however it shocked me how he just seemed to get the keys to the car from the start. When he had a hiccup the entire team started to go off the tracks. Let me again express how highly I think of this coaching staff, but I honestly have been at a loss this season and last at the goal-tending decisions. There have been lessons over the years on goaltenders like Jared DeMichiel and Jordan Ruby that just seem to have been forgotten. Even though I thought Rotolo was the more talented goaltender I was amazed at how long they rode him till giving Short a shot after the wheels had already come off on that season. Given Rotolo's back to back night history and they fact that he was very good in the previous year's playoff run after he was injured and had rest just screamed don't ride him into the ground. They did and he had nothing in the tank by years end. He was a man and gave it his all and I doubt would complain. I would have given all 3 guys at least 2 starts before going with a guy back to back. At this point I am honestly not sure what the right move is, other than hope what he is doing now works out.
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Do the tigers have a fourth goalie they can put in to get a win or two?

Nb: couldn't hear the game tonight so I haven't a clue how this went down
          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            Do the tigers have a fourth goalie they can put in to get a win or two?

We are definitely grumpy old men today. I hope the Tigers can turn it around tonight. I wonder who is starting in goal tonight? Roll the dice.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Andriano, supprissing no?
              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                The other thing is stop the dang ride the hot goaltender train. It's not working. I like Andriano and still have high hopes for him, but I think he should have had a start long ago. As Short should have as well. The impression I got was there was going to be a short (no pun) rotation and then a decision was going to get made. That never happen, Drackett has a bunch of talent and I like him too, however it shocked me how he just seemed to get the keys to the car from the start. When he had a hiccup the entire team started to go off the tracks. Let me again express how highly I think of this coaching staff, but I honestly have been at a loss this season and last at the goal-tending decisions. There have been lessons over the years on goaltenders like Jared DeMichiel and Jordan Ruby that just seem to have been forgotten. Even though I thought Rotolo was the more talented goaltender I was amazed at how long they rode him till giving Short a shot after the wheels had already come off on that season. Given Rotolo's back to back night history and they fact that he was very good in the previous year's playoff run after he was injured and had rest just screamed don't ride him into the ground. They did and he had nothing in the tank by years end. He was a man and gave it his all and I doubt would complain. I would have given all 3 guys at least 2 starts before going with a guy back to back. At this point I am honestly not sure what the right move is, other than hope what he is doing now works out.
                Here's my problem with this take. We aren't in the practices or locker room so we don't really know much of what is going on behind the scenes. Coach probably had some plans in mind at the start of the season but plans change. As noted philosopher Leonard Snart (Captain Cold) said:
                Make the plan
                Execute the plan
                Expect the plan to go off the rails
                Throw away the plan.

Dracett got the keys early based on the great game he played against Northeastern. Neither him or Short played well the next weekend. The pregame show after Short's start wondered by Drackett didn't start after his game. Then they apologized after Dracett's clunker against RPI - a loss that looks worse the way they are playing. Short rebounded with a few good games, including the shiutout against Providence. However 2 not so great games put him on the bench.

IMO, no goaltender has really earned enough of a benefit of the doubt to withstand a couple bad games.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  Here's my problem with this take. We aren't in the practices or locker room so we don't really know much of what is going on behind the scenes. Coach probably had some plans in mind at the start of the season but plans change. As noted philosopher Leonard Snart (Captain Cold) said:
                  Make the plan
                  Execute the plan
                  Expect the plan to go off the rails
                  Throw away the plan.

Dracett got the keys early based on the great game he played against Northeastern. Neither him or Short played well the next weekend. The pregame show after Short's start wondered by Drackett didn't start after his game. Then they apologized after Dracett's clunker against RPI - a loss that looks worse the way they are playing. Short rebounded with a few good games, including the shiutout against Providence. However 2 not so great games put him on the bench.

IMO, no goaltender has really earned enough of a benefit of the doubt to withstand a couple bad games.
                  Agreed and I had wondered about what was happening at practice and behind the scenes often last season. I don't like speculating as it's unfair to the student athletes. However, what is not speculation is the results have been poor. It's always a cruel business of what have you done for me lately...
                  Last edited by Tom Naeger; 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM.
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• That was a heart pounding last ten minutes. Congrats to the Tigers!
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                      That was a heart pounding last ten minutes. Congrats to the Tigers!
                      Much needed win. Adriano and Peacock came up huge.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                        From tonight's pregame, it sounds as if the Tigers did everything right last night except score. It was much more even than the score would indicate.

I'm glad the Tigers got a win tonight; looks like Berrafato almost stole a tie for the Crusaders.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Good to see the Tigers come back from some adversity tonight. Not getting the full two points after blowing a two goal lead might have been disastrous with where this team's psyche had seemed to be.

Also interesting to see Adriano in there again tonight after giving up 4 goals last night - that indicates to me that the team's defensive play last night was not where the coaches wanted it, because generally when you give up 4 something isn't working in your own end, be it your defensive play or your goaltending. The 36 shots against is another clue that Friday might have not been the defense's best night. After tonight's game you have to think they're going to roll with Adriano again at least to start next weekend; he seems to be giving them some consistency in net that Drackett and Short could not manage.

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                            tonight's game you have to think they're going to roll with Adriano again at least to start next weekend; he seems to be giving them some consistency in net that Drackett and Short could not manage.
                            “Consistency”. That’s the magic word right there. Seems like the Tigers can play with anyone if they are running on all cylinders.
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                              that indicates to me that the team's defensive play last night was not where the coaches wanted it, because generally when you give up 4 something isn't working in your own end, be it your defensive play or your goaltending.
                              I don't think the defense has been as good as anyone thought it would be at the start of the year. It's not like these are freshman out there making mistakes, but players with experience. You can't pin this just on the loss of Brady Norish. The players playing got plenty of experience last year when the Norish twins went down. When they minimize their mistakes and play well, the team usually wins. When they don't, the goaltending has not been able to bail them out all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                From tonight's pregame, it sounds as if the Tigers did everything right last night except score. It was much more even than the score would indicate.

Powers &8^]
                                I didn't hear Saturday's game, but did listen on Friday. The impression they gave during and after the game was pretty much all negative. With the exception of a 5-10 minute stretch in the second, it never sounded like the Tigers generated much pressure on offense at all. Coach said that Holy Cross worked harder than the Tigers. He followed that up by trying to walk that back a bit when he said that RIT worked hard, though, just not as hard as they did.
                                Can't we all just get along?
                                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X