Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Short made a very key save at the end of the 2nd period and a few in the third. I would like to see a little stick-um applied to his glove and when the puck is loose in his crease he need to more aggressively go after it like my 2 and 4 year old girls go after the last Oreo on the table.

The "finishing" crowd is making me chuckle this year. The offense has been great and scored some highlight goals. Everyone went Ow when Powell made his little toe drag move on Saturday. I hardly reacted cause I am so used to it by now. This game is not about finishing all your chances. Every game every team missed grade A scoring chances all the time....

This game is about producing chances, that is what Wayne is really looking at when they ask the age old dumb media question, "well did you like the effort tonight"? Screw you and your effort Robitaille!!

The real question is did we generate enough chances to have a chance to win the game. Yes sometime teams do that and have a bad habit of not finishing their chances, but this teams is far from that kind of team. People are just too spoiled from the days when AIC would come in and the Tigers could all most sleep walk to a 6-2 win. The teams are much better now and especially are the goaltender. Just stop on the finishing, this team finishes.
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
      Everyone went Ow when Powell made his little toe drag move on Saturday. I hardly reacted cause I am so used to it by now.
      I didn't. I am also used to those moves happening and more often than not him not having enough support for the team to capitalize on it and actually score a goal.
      This game is not about finishing all your chances....This game is about producing chances...
      Really?? Last I checked, competitive sports are all about who SCORES the most. It's fine to be happy with the team's performance in a game like Friday's in the regular season, but when the playoffs come around it no longer matters whether you generated chances, but whether you scored goals on more of them than you allow. Bottom line. Moral victories (the "oh, but they played so well") are only good for teams that lose.
      Every game every team missed grade A scoring chances all the time....
      True, but the team needs to do that at a lower rate than their opponent if they want to win.
      The real question is did we generate enough chances to have a chance to win the game.
      No, actually it isn't. In many of the team's losses in previous years they certainly did generate enough chances to win. They just didn't (wait for it...) FINISH.
      Yes sometime teams do that and have a bad habit of not finishing their chances, but this teams is far from that kind of team.
      If you had read my entire post, you'd see that I said exactly that. I noted that this issue is so far happening far less this season than in recent years, which is a good sign. It's just a lingering concern because of the recent history.
      People are just too spoiled from the days when AIC would come in and the Tigers could all most sleep walk to a 6-2 win. The teams are much better now and especially are the goaltender.
      This has nothing to do with it, except that there have been games (again... mostly in the past) where the team rightfully should have won by 3 or 4 goals based on the number of chances they generated but just didn't finish enough and ended up in a tight 1-goal game with a legitimate chance to lose. Nothing to do with the improvement of the opponents. I will say, however, that it has been quite some time since any AHC team could sleepwalk through any game and expect to win by any score, let alone 6-2. Even when AIC, Sacred Heart, etc were pretty weak, they still put up a good fight most of the time. I don't believe RIT spent nearly enough time in the league when there was a big imbalance for anyone to have been spoiled by it.
      On a somewhat unrelated note, I will say once again (I've said this even back to the 4 year D-III decline before the move to D-I )... If all of your opponents are improving, you also need to improve. Not that RIT was ever that much ahead of the rest of the AHC for any extended period, but if your competition catches up to you, then you didn't do what you needed to do to stay on top. It's easy to say "Everyone else got better, so our expectations shouldn't be so high anymore", but it's actually incumbent on the program to keep pace with conference counterparts rather than watch them catch up and pass by. I know you'll all cite the scholarship issue, but the scholarship discrepancy has always been there. It makes it more difficult, but RIT has proven it can be overcome before. That just isn't a good excuse.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        On a somewhat unrelated note, I will say once again (I've said this even back to the 4 year D-III decline before the move to D-I )... If all of your opponents are improving, you also need to improve. Not that RIT was ever that much ahead of the rest of the AHC for any extended period, but if your competition catches up to you, then you didn't do what you needed to do to stay on top. It's easy to say "Everyone else got better, so our expectations shouldn't be so high anymore", but it's actually incumbent on the program to keep pace with conference counterparts rather than watch them catch up and pass by. I know you'll all cite the scholarship issue, but the scholarship discrepancy has always been there. It makes it more difficult, but RIT has proven it can be overcome before. That just isn't a good excuse.
        I'm going to comment on this part. I believe RIT has been getting quality classes so I don't think that is an issue. Heck, prior to last year, RIT went to the last 2 NCAAs. They have only had 3 losing season in the AHC era - and that is pretty darn good. I think other teams are going after and getting better talent. Schools are improving their facilities AND getting scholarships. What RIT has that very few other teams in Atlantic Hockey have is a winning tradition and a strong fan base.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I also think the question is: what SHOULD the expectations of the program be?

For me, the expectation is making the AHC semifinals most years and occasional conference championships.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post

For me, the expectation is making the AHC semifinals most years and occasional conference championships.
            If, if, as Tom previously has written, RIT can move that save percentage into the .900 range and maintain a +3 goals scored per game then I too would have the expectation of RIT being one of the four teams at the BCA. With additional tweaking I think those statistics are within their reach. I am also a strong proponent of what coach previously mentioned about the competitiveness from top to bottom of the league and likely being within a goal of our opponent after two and the necessity of winning that third period. I know it’s a bit cliche but win the third period outright and the chances of winning your game increases greatly. Let’s see how the OOC game goes tonight.
            Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 12-08-2017, 03:52 PM.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Down 3-0 after eight minutes, yikes!
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                Down 3-0 after eight minutes, yikes!
                No worries Blaze. This is our Michigan strategy. Let them score four times in the first and then come storming back ala Brick City 2013-14.
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                  No worries Blaze. This is our Michigan strategy. Let them score four times in the first and then come storming back ala Brick City 2013-14.
                  Never mind
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    Never mind
                    You gave me hope and then crushed it!😁
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                      You gave me hope and then crushed it!😁
                      Sorry bout that

Hey if we win the third period 2-0 we’ll repeat that 7-4 Michigan score. So there’s that. Go Tigers!
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Nope
                        RPI Engineers
                        RIT Tigers
                        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Okay, you convinced me, goaltending is a problem.

Though I suspect tonight they just weren't prepared for the speed of Providence. We were only outscored 4-3 in the final two stanzas. Tomorrow should be more competitive.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post

I expect conference championships most years, occasional Frozen Four trips.

Powers &8^]

Comment

It's pretty alarming that RIT hasn't had a dependable/good starting goalie since 2011-12.

This coaching staff has consistently found diamonds in the rough for forwards and defense..what's up with the quality of our goalie prospects?
                              RIT

Comment

PC fan here and the goaltending especially early had no chance as there was a ton of deflected shots and one timers that no goalie is going to stop. The defense letting PC into the slot area was the problem causing traffic.
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X