Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Regardless of who is in net tonight, RIT needs a better performance from our goalies. Reminds me a little of our Ruby - Rotolo conversations from a few years ago when Ruby got hot late and RIT rode that hot streak into the NCAA's. RIT had some clunker regular season games that year but it came together late. Hopefully we'll see something similar this year regardless of who emerges as our #1.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

There's no question Berrafato played well, but I don't fault Drackett. It's possible he could have directed the rebound better on the first goal, but he's a freshman; he's not going to stop everything. I especially don't blame him for the GWG on a 2-on-1.

No, we need to figure out why our scorers can't get pucks past goalies. Again.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        There's no question Berrafato played well, but I don't fault Drackett. It's possible he could have directed the rebound better on the first goal, but he's a freshman; he's not going to stop everything. I especially don't blame him for the GWG on a 2-on-1.

Powers &8^]
        Overall D1 stats would say otherwise but I agree a few extra goals would help. Let’s see how it goes tonight.
        RPI Engineers
        RIT Tigers
        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

The offense is fine. That is a hell of a good defensive team they played. You gotta have better goaltending to win a game like that. 1st goal was weak, yes a small break down defensively but still the initial shot should have been handled. 2nd was kind of weird he went down and at the last second he pops up a little and that appears to have opened the five hole where I think the puck went. 3rd was weak, yes I have no idea what Abt was thinking, but the other Defenseman, I think it was Brady did a nice job of squeezing off the odd man rush and forcing a shot the frankly should not beat your goaltender 5 hole. There will always be some breakdowns in games. Where they are usually decided on which goaltender covers up for his team's mistakes. Of the games I've watched that was the least amount of defensive breakdowns they've had all year. Goaltending is perhaps the most unforgiving position in all of sports.

I still think Drackett is the most talented of the three. As was correctly stated he is a Freshman and I think part of this is going to be a fact of life for the Tigers this year as he develops. That being said Short is coming of perhaps his best game in his college career. I'd give him a shot tonight. But I've honestly been confused at how the goaltending position had been handled the last two years. But I have to admit these coaches have won a few more NCAA hockey games than I have....

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
            No.

The "2 on 1" goal was awful, awful goaltending. You cannot bite on a fake pass in that scenario; the defender has the pass across. He opened up and gave the shooter an incredibly large hole for where on the ice the shot was taken. There is no excuse for either that or the 1st goal. And there were no real difficult saves to speak of. Good teams win low scoring games - the skaters did enough to win that game by limiting chances and controlling play and popping in a couple, and their goal tending let them down.

Originally posted by Tom Naeger
            I still think Drackett is the most talented of the three. As was correctly stated he is a Freshman and I think part of this is going to be a fact of life for the Tigers this year as he develops. That being said Short is coming of perhaps his best game in his college career. I'd give him a shot tonight. But I've honestly been confused at how the goaltending position had been handled the last two years. But I have to admit these coaches have won a few more NCAA hockey games than I have....
            I agree with all of this. I wouldn't be upset if they let Drackett get back in the saddle and try to bounce back, especially if he's going to be their guy going forward, but I also wouldn't be upset to see Short given the start after his performance in Connecticut.

Comment

• Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Even though I think it was correct that was a gutsy call by Wayne Wilson to start Short. Short and the team had their own gutsy performance and pulled out a big win. I loved how they responded to the usual suspect AHA officiating and got the split. It would have been ashamed to play as well as they did Friday and not get anything on the weekend. I think you have to give Short and Drackett a start next weekend.

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Wayne made the right call to play Short last night after Drackett allowed an incredibly weak goal to seal the loss on Friday. Thankfully Short played pretty well and won.

That said I agree with general consensus here that Drackett is the better (and younger) goalie and should likely remain getting the majority of starts.
                  RIT

Comment

Drackett is overall the better goalie, but he has been scuffling his last couple games - even in his win over Air Force. Short's game against UConn was good, and as such after another less than stellar start by Drackett, earned him the start and he responded with a good outing and a win.

I expect that Short will get more starts as long as he is playing well, unless Drackett gets back to the form he had at the start of the conference season.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      Drackett is overall the better goalie, but he has been scuffling his last couple games - even in his win over Air Force. Short's game against UConn was good, and as such after another less than stellar start by Drackett, earned him the start and he responded with a good outing and a win.

I expect that Short will get more starts as long as he is playing well, unless Drackett gets back to the form he had at the start of the conference season.
                      The question is, does Short start Friday night and if he puts in a good game, does Wilson give him the Saturday start trying to pick up some OCC wins?
                      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Here is a simple stat that has got to change, the team's combined saved percentage is .882, RIT opponents have posted a .890.

The offense is going to have to stay red hot all year if RIT is going to pull off any banners, that number needs to go up. You are basically talking about needing to score 4 goals a night to win at that rate. Not all of this of course is Goaltending, the lost of Brady Norris has not help. However it be nice to see RIT back to the days where their save percentage is above .900, preferably more like .920...

Ironically you take this years offense bring back Rotollo from last season and you probably end up with more wins, assuming the scoring output is sustainable...

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                          No.
                          - the skaters did enough to win that game by limiting chances and controlling play and popping in a couple, and their goal tending let them down.
                          I would posit that the skaters did not do enough to win and that goaltending AND a lack of finishing ability let them down... again.
                          When you dominate possession and play as much as they did, you really need to do more than "popping in a couple". The goals allowed by RIT were a bit weak and the save percentage was terrible, but there only were 3 goals allowed at the end of the day. The offense needs to beat that when they get 36 shots on net.
                          But then they go out and play a game like Saturday where they are nowhere near dominating and they manage to score 4. Although to be fair, Berrafato didn't have his best night, but nonetheless...
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                            Here is a simple stat that has got to change, the team's combined saved percentage is .882, RIT opponents have posted a .890.

The offense is going to have to stay red hot all year if RIT is going to pull off any banners, that number needs to go up. You are basically talking about needing to score 4 goals a night to win at that rate. Not all of this of course is Goaltending, the lost of Brady Norris has not help. However it be nice to see RIT back to the days where their save percentage is above .900, preferably more like .920...

Ironically you take this years offense bring back Rotollo from last season and you probably end up with more wins, assuming the scoring output is sustainable...
                            The team SV% wasn't much better last season (0.887). Rotolo's was somewhat better (0.899), but one goalie can't play every game all season. So I don't know how much difference that would make with this team.
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                              Wayne made the right call to play Short last night after Drackett allowed an incredibly weak goal to seal the loss on Friday. Thankfully Short played pretty well and won.
                              I think Christian played ok on Saturday (can't speak to the UCONN game), but wasn't tested a ton. Even when he's making the saves, I just can't help but get nervous watching the way he moves. A couple bounces closer to HC sticks and his mobility could have been exposed. It wasn't, and he made the saves he had to make, fortunately. I just don't know if I could watch an entire season (and post-season as brief as it may be) of that without a bottle of TUMS in my pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                                Overall D1 stats would say otherwise but I agree a few extra goals would help. Let’s see how it goes tonight.
                                As we've debated over the last few years, it's not just the overall numbers that are the concern. It's the timeliness of the goals and the inconsistency in finishing ability. When they win, they tend to score plenty of goals, but when they lose it more often than not can be attributed to a lack of capitalizing on chances. Fortunately from what we've seen so far this season, they are starting to do the former more than the latter, which bodes very well for their chances in the AHC tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X