RPI Pick to Click 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI Pick to Click 2017-18

Another year, another season of RPI Pick to Click!

Scoring and rules will be pretty much identical to last year:

As always, this contest is open to anyone who wants to play, not just the RPI faithful. It can take as few as 15 seconds to make your picks each week so why not play!

In general, you will pick one player from each team for each RPI game. You can't pick the same player twice in a weekend, and the rules are slightly different for tournaments (I'll post those when it's actually time for a tournament).

Picks must be submitted (or finalized) by puck drop of the first game of the weekend. If a player you've chosen is injured during the course of the weekend, you may select another player if you let me know before the start of the next game. If you're not sure if you're allowed to make a change in your picks, make a new pick anyway and I'll decide whether or not you can make the change.

To keep everyone from picking the same person, the top two scoring forwards and top scoring defenseman (by hockey points, NOT PtC points) from each team will be ineligible for selection. Ties between top-scoring players will be broken by goals scored, ECAC points, ECAC goals scored, and finally seniority (hopefully we never go past that). This rule will not come into effect until a player has at least five points.

New this year is a season-long limit to the number of times you can pick each position. We all tend to rely pretty heavily on forwards (and some of us on goaltenders), but I'd like us to try to more closely match the proportions of players on the ice (i.e., 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie). Of the 68 picks you make this regular season, you may select no more than 50, 30, and 10 players at forward, defenseman, and goaltender, respectively. I'll keep a running count for each contestant and post it along with the scores each week.

Point Breakdown:
    Forwards
    Goal - 2 pts
    Assist - 1 pt

Defensemen
    Goal - 3 pts
    Assist - 2 pts

Goaltenders
    Quality Start - 2 pts (If you don't remember what that is, look here. Threshold is now a save percentage of 0.9141)
    Shutout - 3 pts (Only to be awarded when the goalie plays the full game)
    Goal - 10 pts
    Assist - 4 pts

The designation for whether a player is at forward or defenseman will be determined on a game-to-game basis according to the box score at collegehockeystats.net.

The participant who earns the most points in a week will earn themselves a bonus point.

Finally, if for some reason you can’t get to the board to make your picks, feel free to contact me in another way. I’ll use the time stamp to determine if you beat puck drop. You may email me at my USCHO handle at gmail. If you have my cell, you can text me. If you’re my friend on Facebook, you can message me there. Don’t make a habit out of submitting picks off-board, but I understand that emergencies happen.

Good luck and good picking!

Results from the most recent week (Week 19 - ECAC First Round, at Colgate)

Link to this week's games (See you in October!)
    Direct Link to scoring spreadsheet
    Last edited by lugnut92; 03-09-2018, 04:27 PM. Reason: End of Season!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Re: RPI Pick to Click 2017-18

Link back to the first post with details on scoring

Preseason! Nothing that happens this week counts, but it will get us all in the swing of things come the first real games in Columbus next week. Our Engineers will suit up for the first time under new head coach Dave Smith in an exhibition contest against the Huskies of Nova Scotia's Saint Mary's University. SMU is undefeated three games into their preseason slate, but I can't find box scores for those games so no one will be ineligible.

Picks must be in by 5:00 ET on Saturday.

You may NOT choose the following players for this game:
    RPI: none
    St. Mary's: none

Statistics and Rosters
    RPI: 16-17 Statistics | 17-18 Roster
    St. Mary's: 16-17 Statistics (You have to click "Lineup") | 17-18 Roster
    Last edited by lugnut92; 09-28-2017, 09:11 PM.
    RPI Pep Band
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

I assume these don't count towards the 45-30-15?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I assume these don't count towards the 45-30-15?
        Correct.
        RPI Pep Band
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Only time I get to do it and have it actually be worthwhile, then:

RPI: Chase Perry
          SMU: Eric Brassard

Comment

Only time I get to do it and have it actually be worthwhile, then:
            Really, I'm only limiting you by three goalies relative to last year. Rather than one goalie per week (which would be 18 goalies this year), you get 15 allocated however you want throughout the season. I honestly was more annoyed by the fact that no one ever picks defensemen.
            RPI Pep Band
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              Really, I'm only limiting you by three goalies relative to last year. Rather than one goalie per week (which would be 18 goalies this year), you get 15 allocated however you want throughout the season. I honestly was more annoyed by the fact that no one ever picks defensemen.
              I don't think that I have ever picked a goalie. I still don't have to, but ...
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Just like the last times changes were made to the game.

And plus, I picked D-men quite a bit, especially when it started to seem like the only one that was doing much of anything out there was Will Reilly... despite another D-man having more points...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I don't think that I have ever picked a goalie. I still don't have to, but ...
                  It's more of a "slow and steady" strategy than hoping for a big points grab, which isn't always reliable. If anything, the quality start is what seems to make it so imbalanced. I'm surprised he didn't do 1 for a QS, 1 for a win, and then the 3 for a shutout. And when a team is struggling so much with scoring goals, even if they do end up winning, the QS makes it worth the points.

Comment

It's more of a "slow and steady" strategy than hoping for a big points grab, which isn't always reliable. If anything, the quality start is what seems to make it so imbalanced. I'm surprised he didn't do 1 for a QS, 1 for a win, and then the 3 for a shutout. And when a team is struggling so much with scoring goals, even if they do end up winning, the QS makes it worth the points.
                    I understand that and agree that the QS is what makes it especially for RPI's opponents in recent years. I just figure that I would pick the goalie that didn't even play.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Let's see if I can remember this more reliably this year:

RPI - Tironese
                      St. Mary's - Garlent
                      Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

I CHANGED MY MIND. The limits are 50-30-10.

I calculated all of the possible points in RPI games over the last three seasons and that yields a 57/32/11 split in points earned between the three major positions (which is pretty darn close to the ratio of dressed players in a given game, rather than the players on the ice). The new limits are closer to that ideal than 45-30-15 would be. The current scoring scheme means that if you throw a dart at a list of dressed players each weekend, you can always "expect" to earn about 0.7 points per player. The fact that we usually know who the starting goalies are means that randomly picking a goalie is actually likely to earn you about 1.5 points, making a goalie a powerful selection (if you need convincing, you haven't noticed the top of the standings the last few seasons). Going with the "1 for QS, 1 for win" stat mentioned would decrease the total point share of goaltenders, but I'd rather just limit the ability to pick goalies than mess with their scoring.

Anyway, 50-30-10.

The QS threshold this season is set at 0.9141 (again, based on a weighted average of the last three seasons). I only looked at ECAC goalies that played at least one third of their team's minutes to try and limit it to true "starters". Had we ignored last season, the bar would actually be set around .920, but I guess we all took a downswing last year. Anyway, the basic rule of thumb now is that goalie may allow 1 goal for every 12 shots he faces (as opposed to 1 in every 11 under the previous definition). It's a little more lenient than that (e.g., you can allow 4 goals on 47 shots and still be "quality") in reality, but that's the basic guideline.
                        Last edited by lugnut92; 09-27-2017, 12:17 PM. Reason: Added new Quality Start line
                        RPI Pep Band
                        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Fair enough. Everyone plays under the same rules; just time to tweak strats a bit.

Comment

RPI Evan Tironese
                            SMU Anthony Repaci (brother of RPI's Sabrina Repaci)
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI: Brady Wiffen who is from Ontario--to be exact
                              St. Mary's: Bronson Beaton
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X