Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

The most difficult acknowledgement to make is how amazing our new rink is and how amazing Don Vaughan is...yet he has under-performed. Until this season, I don't recall the last time we had defeated a ranked team - or the small number we had beaten this past decade. Some of those early wins this season are still questionable. We defeated #11/12 Quinnipiac, but look at them now. We defeated #5 Harvard (currently not ranked, but on the rise?) and #11/9 Western Michigan (currently #12). The Raiders are not an annual contender and the string of ECAC tournament appearances in Atlantic City and Lake Placid were promising but fell bitterly short. There is also a lack of quality, OOC opponents that come to Hamilton, both before and after our beautiful new facility was built. There is still much room for growth and change. I cannot believe we are going on 2+ decades without any ECAC hardware.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/tourna...nt_Results.pdf
    Last edited by TchrBill; 01-23-2018, 05:19 PM.
    C O L G A T E
    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
    1990 NCAA FINALS
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I recall the season a number of years ago when we lost either Mark Murphy or David Roach and Don was recruited to become interim Athletic Director. In his absense his then head assistant moved up to interim head coach (you guys will recall his name but I can't). That turned into a season full of promise and excitement and there seemed to be a different, very positive feeling around men's hockey. I also remember feeling guilty for wishing that Don might like the rarified air at the AD level and be considered a viable candidate to stay so we could keep the hockey coach. Neither happened and the coach moved on to Providence and eventually out of that job as well and the rest is history. It's been a wonderful 20 years and Don has done a great deal for Colgate hockey by bringing the rink to reality and always representing Colgate in a gentlemanly, first class manner, but its time to move on, we need new blood plain and simple. It's sort of like a family business getting too successful and no longer having the internal talent or fortitude to make the changes necessary so they have to look outside. Never fun but invariably the required next step...
      Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-24-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

It was Mark murphy and Stan Moore stepped in as coach and won the regular season. Basically the same team as the year before when we were the regular season champions.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

It kills me to say this but we have three games left on the schedule that we have to cheer for cornell this year (this Friday and the union games). I am still hopeful for a top four bid. We have hit a rough patch but the hockey has been good. As much as I and we all lament last weeks outcomes and 0’s we were not outclassed by cornell which is a step in the right direction.

Comment

It's ok to root for Cornell now, they can only help us. Another huge weekend where we need a split. Last weekend was a downer but that's in the past. Time to pick our heads up, I think we all got down losing two last weekend, both close battles against the #2 team in the nation.

I subscribed last weekend to the IVY League network which for 15.95 was supposed to be good for a month, including both games this weekend. They say I'm not a subscriber this am so I'm calling them when they open at 9 am. You might want to check it out in case there's a problem.

Comment

I’ll be at both games this weekend. I love the drive up to Dartmouth and taking in a game at Thompson. Hopefully I’m a good luck charm. Go ‘Gate!
              Colgate '09

Comment

I am always happy when Rainman is at the away games......I look forward to his post-game comments. Go 'Gate!
                I purchased the Ivy League Network monthly package earlier this month. When I unsubscribe next month, I will have watched 8 games (including three women's games). Not a bad deal for $16.00.
                Last edited by CU13; 01-26-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I fixed my problem, it was with the password.

Comment

Well, this could be a problem 3 games 1 goal and 3 losses

Comment

Forget about a bye and hope they can hold home ice in the first round.

Comment

I only saw the third period, as I was at the Class of '65 arena watching the women score 5 unanswered goals in their win against SLU. The men spent an inordinate amount of time in Dartmouth's zone. Colton looked good. What do we have to do to become a more offensive team??

Comment

Colton may look good, but he still gives up goals. He merely keeps the loss respectable. Even one goal is too many for this anemic offense because it's one and done.
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

And it's not as if we're getting 35 SOG and hitting a ton of posts. Hard to see anything but a 3-1 or 4-1 loss this evening. We're now at 277 minutes/50 seconds with 1 GD goal by our forwards. Right now I'd have to characterize this season as another disappointment in a string of disappointing seasons. Do we see ANY real uptick in recruiting since the advent of the new arena. Not much I'm afraid and I think we all have a right to be quite impatient. I hope I am wrong but top to bottom change may be necessary. We'll see...please turn this sinking ship around...TheGreenCoat is depressed.

Comment

I'm as frustrated as anyone here but I disagree about the new arena not helping in recruiting. After three or four years and then it's not helping I'll agree. It's like a new coach, you have to give him 3-4 years to get "his" team that he recruited in the building. We're running out of excuses though now that we have a beautiful new rink. Beat Harvard !

Comment

Unreal !
                                Last edited by sshablak; 01-28-2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X