Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Well, the autumn leaves are starting to turn colors and some of those same leaves are falling off the tree. The kids are also back in school which only means one thing...the start of college hockey.

To start things out, enclosed is the first tid bit of information: the Captain and Assistants. Congrats to Kevan Kilistoff (Junior) and Cory Kalk (Senior) and Tim Shoup (Senior)!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211669085

Random and first thoughts:

What happened to Carl Hesler who was last year's captain and would be senior? I cannot see it being renounced from him. However , I do know that he hurt his shoulder pretty bad last year on a open ice hit albeit late.

More thoughts on the upcoming season shortly!

PS How do I work the BOLD function? When I try that it comes up with the letter B in brackets!

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

I see that QUAlum2004 has the Big Green picked for 9th place in the ECAC. Well, I can honestly say he would be pretty close with my prediction...a home ice playoff host in the ECAC playoffs finishing anywhere from 6-8th place. Now why do I say that:
    - scoring goals will be at a premium especially with the graduation lost of Troy Crema
    - preventing "grade A" scoring chances with the D and forwards in D Zone
    - goaltending is still a question mark although Buffalo should come in as the starter for now; this is probably most important

I will get into more specifics on each point later

Comment

75% percentile!!! Yep, that is where the BIG Green is picked, 9th in the ECAC...talk about mediocre! Realistically, begrudgingly, and unfortunately, I would have to agree although maybe a couple slots higher. Come on, BIG Green use this prediction as fodder for motivation!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211669552

Comment

A sneak peek at the Big Green! The overall roster should not be much different from last year's with the addition of 6 freshmen. Now the productivity is probably another story. This year's version will still be challenged to score goals especially losing the likes of Crema and Opperman due to graduation. On the bright side, most of the team is returning with more experience under them. Kalk returns and should lead the team in scoring. Can juniors Jasiek, Kilistoff, and Ernsting take that big next step and support Kalk? Last year's freshmen came out of the gates like gangbusters but fizzled out like sparklers. Look for Strong, Graber, and Warpecha to build on last year's success. Will any of the freshmen earn quality playing time and be impact players.

The D struggled mightily last year's due to revolving doors with each partner (albeit injuries played a key role into that). Yau needs to lead that group and have a monster year if they as a group will be successful. Hopefully, Shoup is fully recovered from injury with undoubtedly impact him and the team. Rymsha missed most of last year; he brings the needed "sandpaper" amongst this group. Roth took a big step last and hopefully he continues that assent. Han will have a year under his belt. The freshmen are TBD!

Goaltending was like a roller coaster last year. Hopefully they can steer straight and level and be more consistent with at bare minimum timely saves. Buffalo returns as the starter and hopefully it stays that way but if not both Clark and Schatzer are more than capable.

The next will installment will get more detailed talking about the offense, defense, and special teams!

Comment

What we expect from the Big Green offensively, defensively, and on special teams? As mentioned earlier, scoring goals will be at a premium so their success on the PP could make or break their offensive output. There is NO impact offensive player on this team but many who are very capable of creating and scoring goals. Kalk heads this list. I could definitely envision where this is scoring by committee. Can the Big Green score when they absolutely need to is a big question though? Which leads us to the PP? At the beginning of last year, the PP was downright enemic; I think 0 for first 50 or so as they were tinkering (overthinking) instead of going back to the basics with shots on goal with net front presence. Finally adhering to this mantra, they finally turned it around and did well. The first unit was responsible for most of this with Yau QBing the unit. The only player they lose it Crema which is huge but that's creates an opportunity for some player to step up and fill the void. I do not remember who else was on the first unit is addition to Yau and Kalk but I believe Jasiek and Strong and the departed Crema. Do the Big Green go with 4 forwards and Yau like last year or play it safe with a R-H D on the off wing for the potential one-timers? Could that 4th forward be Ernsting? They did give up a few shorties last year.
          Will go over the D next!

Comment

The D struggled mightily last year as injuries took a major toll as Rymsha was lost for the season early, Shoup had a bad high ankle sprain which I believed he never fully recovered from; all this put a lot of pressure on Yau. Injuries got so bad last year that Graber had to move back to D which he has not played for awhile , certainly not at this level. Graber performed as well could be given the circumstance and as could be expected his offense from the D position was better than his defense. However, Roth did take a nice step from his freshmen year. They lose Hartley to graduation. For the D to have success, Yau needs to lead and have a monster year which he is capable as he gets the most minutes (ES and PP/PK). Shoup and Rymsha needs to rebound from injuries and Roth continues to progress. Han and Dimaio to grow from last year. This year's incoming crop TBD; can they push the upperclassmen and fight for playing time. The Big Green allowed way too many quality scoring chances last year and hopes to improve on that but that also includes their forwards and goalie as it is TEAM D. What are going to be the pairings especially with a heavy L-H D core? Will Graber move back permanently, sometimes, or as needed?

Comment

Special teams...this could make or break the Big Green's season. Let me explain. The PP/PK were dreadful last year although the PP came on in the second half of the season. As a mentioned earlier, scoring will be at a premium with NO dynamic impact finisher, save for the freshmen as I don't know their capabilities. Maybe one will jump out and surprise me! Without looking up their PP efficiency, I would venture to guess that if the Big Green are in the 20-25% conversion rate, that will be good or said another way, good for at least and bare minimum one goal per game. I would envision these palyers on the first unit, Yau (QB), Jasiek, Kalk, and Strong. The final player might Graber (R-H) on off wing but more importantly has played D to counter against potential shorties. If not Graber, then Ernsting who has had some PP time in the past. Gaining entry has been a dilemma has they have tired the "push them back" method, chip and retrieve (retrieval was awful), isolate one D and go 2 on 1, etc. Once in the zone, this unit should play it simple with pucks on net with net presence.

The PK was horrendous to put it mildly. Just like the PP has to score one goal per game the PK unit's efficiency should be around 80-85% and said another way...the PP unit has to outscore the PK unit. Obviously the best killer should be their goalie but also acknowledging the 4 man unit in front of him. It seems as though too battles were lost in front of the net last year leading to either tip ins or tap ins. Either way this have to improve if the Big Green is going to have a good year. PS need a R-H D in the worse way on the kill.

Those are the reasons why I stated this these special teams could be the difference in a good vs a bad year for the BIG Green!

Comment

It's Game Day for the Big Green to start out the 2017-18 season. While many other school have started their game action already, the Big Green starts today. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it but here is hoping for the best...great energy, effort, and hockey smart plays. It goes without saying that they want to come out of it unscathed without injuries and something (IDENTITY) they can build upon based on the topics covered previously. Go Big Green!

Comment

Here's my take with just looking at the box scores from 10000 feet level as I was not to see the game. A win is a win especially the first game of the year and where they played Windsor and are allowed to dress and play extra F and D's. Warpecha scores both Big Green goals on a line with Kilistoff and Neily. Warpecha and Kilistoff played together all last year with Neily in and out of the line up. This is the most successful at the beginning of the next as each player/lines tries to find their chemistry... their MO is north/ south game with getting the puck deep and forecheck to create opportunities although they were on PP and scored. I will put this out there as I do not know how good Windsor is. The D appears to have an effective game as they only allowed one PP goal on 18 SOG. The offense created 33 SOG's with many chances of on 3 PP opportunities scoring on one. The special teams were even getting and giving up a goal and like I said earlier this could make or break and average to good season. Now that the Big Green has one game under their belt , let's build on this and take the learnings and grow and develop.

Comment

Its GAME DAY as the Big Green plays the last of its two exhibition games with tonight's game against the USNTDP U-18's. The National program has always provided pretty good teams especially the 18's with two years together under their belts. So should expect no different tonight. As with others, they will probably more skilled but smaller giving 18 year olds vs 22 year olds. With that said, the Big Green needs to play them physical and finish every check to make the rink smaller. I would think outside speed would hurt the 18's and well as net presence. While the season is a process and a journey, it would be good to know what the Big Green has as a team right away and tweak as oppose to overhaul as the season progresses. Go Big Green!

Comment

Well as the old saying goes, "you can't win if you don't score" and the Big Green didn't last night in a loss to the U-18's. The same issues reared its ugly head again: no scoring albeit tons of chances, 0-fer on the PP, and giving up one shortie on the PP. I will have to say DeRidder absolutely stood on his head with 39 saves and many of the spectacular diving variety in a close game thus was the best player on the ice. Losing Crema to graduation really stings now as his scoring is sorely missed. By playing the U-18's you can over game day roster so less ice time for the would be 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G. This lead to less flow and continuity with line combinations and D partners. Re-group and get ready for the "real" season.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        Well as the old saying goes, "you can't win if you don't score" and the Big Green didn't last night in a loss to the U-18's. The same issues reared its ugly head again: no scoring albeit tons of chances, 0-fer on the PP, and giving up one shortie on the PP. I will have to say DeRidder absolutely stood on his head with 39 saves and many of the spectacular diving variety in a close game thus was the best player on the ice. Losing Crema to graduation really stings now as his scoring is sorely missed. By playing the U-18's you can over game day roster so less ice time for the would be 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G. This lead to less flow and continuity with line combinations and D partners. Re-group and get ready for the "real" season.
                        How did Oliver Wahlstrom look? He's committed to Harvard for next year so curious for your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                          You know what's the definition of having a bad night in college hockey... the scores for most of the other games were astronomical, football-like scores and of course the Big Green gets shout out. LOL! That said, I have the utmost confidence that that will get this straightened out with scoring a few and gaining that confidence and the reason why I suspect this is because of their scoring chances; it with one thing not to score with very little chances while another to have many especially Grade A and not score.

Comment

Hello everyone! As you may or may not have seen, vicb is not running the annual ECAC Pick the Standings contest this season. I have decided to take up the torch and run it. I know we are running on rather short notice as the season will start in just four days, but hopefully we can get a decent turnout regardless. If you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
                            RPI Pep Band
                            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

It's the start of regular season play as the Big Green travels to Holy Cross for a non-conference game tonight. Without looking ahead and with all due respect to Holy Cross, the Big Green should look at this game as a stepping stone for a Sunday match-up against Harvard, meaning take the learnings from this game and prepare a game plan for Harvard. While it is important to get a W, I believe it is equally important to grow and progress especially a young team like this. Go BIG Green!

Comment

Working...
                              X