Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Cox reporting that Wahlstrom is no longer committed to Harvard and will decided between BU and BC.
    http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1338463
    This is premature, but a likely outcome if Wahlstrom can’t get thru admissions. Wahlstrom very much committed to Harvard if admissions works out.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Pretty simple summary. It was Adam Fox night at B-L. Adam took control in the second period playing almost all of the 5 minute major and then the two man advantage. Both of his goals were straight on writers that Brey had no chance to stop. He completed the hat trick late in the third after SLU pretty much waved the white flag (Morris pulling Brey with six minutes left was, well, curious. Kid played a good game).

Harvard missed some glorious opportunities to add to their goal total with Mitch Perrault and Zerter Gossage missing open nets with Brey falling to the ice. I'm still trying to figure out how he snagged both of their shots. There were other great looks from Badini and Bowlby along with a bomb from Reilly Walsh (he missed the net three times before finally getting the PP goal to make it 3-0 early in the third). I lost count how many times Harvard missed the net. The lack of skill up front is really telling.

The game had some chippy play with a vicious hit from behind on Bowlby by #17 of SLU (he was rightfully given the major and kicked out of the game) and Joe Sullivan of SLU showing why he has zero leadership as captain trying to run Mitch Perrault after the whistle (amazingly, Morris told him to pack it in for the night and head for the locker room). There were other cheap shots where the refs looked the other way. This isn't the type of Saints hockey that I'm used to seeing but I guess that's what you get with Mark Morris teams. Good luck with that. I don't see a bright future for the program but hey, they had to know what they were getting when they hired him.

Bring on the Knights who will be in a great mood after losing to Dartmouth. Looks like Clarkson picked a bad time to go into a mini tailspin.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        Pretty simple summary. It was Adam Fox night at B-L. Adam took control in the second period playing almost all of the 5 minute major and then the two man advantage. Both of his goals were straight on writers that Brey had no chance to stop. He completed the hat trick late in the third after SLU pretty much waved the white flag (Morris pulling Brey with six minutes left was, well, curious. Kid played a good game).

Harvard missed some glorious opportunities to add to their goal total with Mitch Perrault and Zerter Gossage missing open nets with Brey falling to the ice. I'm still trying to figure out how he snagged both of their shots. There were other great looks from Badini and Bowlby along with a bomb from Reilly Walsh (he missed the net three times before finally getting the PP goal to make it 3-0 early in the third). I lost count how many times Harvard missed the net. The lack of skill up front is really telling.

The game had some chippy play with a vicious hit from behind on Bowlby by #17 of SLU (he was rightfully given the major and kicked out of the game) and Joe Sullivan of SLU showing why he has zero leadership as captain trying to run Mitch Perrault after the whistle (amazingly, Morris told him to pack it in for the night and head for the locker room). There were other cheap shots where the refs looked the other way. This isn't the type of Saints hockey that I'm used to seeing but I guess that's what you get with Mark Morris teams. Good luck with that. I don't see a bright future for the program but hey, they had to know what they were getting when they hired him.

Bring on the Knights who will be in a great mood after losing to Dartmouth. Looks like Clarkson picked a bad time to go into a mini tailspin.
        Agree. A couple of observations:

1) Anyone else notice (though only through 3 games) how much more effective the Harvard PP is without Donato? The players remain too still and stationary, but much better execution. Also, anyone notice where Donato is playing on the Team USA powerplay - that's right, down low where Vesey played for Harvard.

2) Fox could have had 6-7 points last night. He set up some tap in goals that were either fanned on or missed. It has to have been a frustrating season for Fox this year given the inability for forwards to finish his passes. And although Fox had two great wrist shot goals, I am not a huge fan of high wrist shots from the point.

3) I've never seen a SLU team play like that as well. Always known to have speed, skill, and grit - and to play an honest game. And I know the SLU team has been through hell and back with transfers and injuries, but the extra-curriculars and goonery was completely foreign to the SLU brand of hockey that this poster has loved for the last 20 years or so. I hope this was a blip and not a bunch of players who are looking for exit visas and the season to end.

Tonight is a big game. Clarkson may very well be without its top scorer (Rempal) which would even things up since we are without Donato. Harvard owes Clarkson after that giftwrap up in Potsdam. Will be tough not to play Lackey after an untested, but strong performance last night.....but imagine Donato will give Madsen a chance at redemption after a very tough performance in Potsdam.
        Last edited by bothman; 02-17-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Great four point weekend with contributions from a number of sources. The D stepped up albeit with some miscues but took charge offensively. Good to win on Senior Night. And honestly, I think the league is wide open this year and if Harvard continues to improve up front and on the back end, well who knows? Better late than never.

I don't think Clarkson is the #7 team in the country even though Rempal is a very good player. They don't scare me. Union, that's another matter.

I'm not sure about this but if Team USA loses its next game on Tuesday, are they done? Only asking because I'm wondering if it is possible to get Ryan Donato back for next weekend. Yeah, I realize what Both is saying about the PP but I'm not convinced that missing Ryan was the reason we played better with the man advantage. Here's hoping Teddy takes a page from Tony Granato and puts Ryan down low when he returns. Let Fox run the show from the point - it's his strength.

On to Providence for the Bears on Friday. I'm thinking of going since I have meetings on the South Coast.
          Last edited by Skate79; 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Heck of a weekend!

Comment

So I did a quick check of the standings and a peek at next week's games. Some thoughts.

1. Didn't realize that Harvard is one point back of Clarkson after last night. How the mighty have fallen. While it would be great to finish third in the conference, that could mean a potential quarterfinal matchup with Colgate. It might be better to finish fourth and play our travel partner Dartmouth if the Green finish behind us after next weekend and win their matchup against SLU.

2. I think regardless of what happens next weekend, we have the bye into the quarters. Basing that on the two wins over Dartmouth and fewer losses than the Green. Colgate can't catch us. So we're in unless I've miscalculated.

3. Three points separate fifth place Dartmouth from ninth place Quinnipiac. The final weekend should be a doozy. Dartmouth controls its own destiny especially where beating Yale on Friday would ensure the Green can't finish lower than the Eli. If Yale and the Bobcats finish where they are currently, that first round matchup should be something to watch.

Comment

I'm not sure about this but if Team USA loses its next game on Tuesday, are they done? Only asking because I'm wondering if it is possible to get Ryan Donato back for next weekend. Yeah, I realize what
                I may be first and foremost a Crimson fan, but I am rooting for Ryan and his Olympic mates to stay in it beyond Tuesday. Great fun to watch too, even if some of the announcers annoyingly cannot fathom that the Harvard junior would return to finish this year, let alone the next. Likely as a captain and Hobey favorite.
                Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                  I may be first and foremost a Crimson fan, but I am rooting for Ryan and his Olympic mates to stay in it beyond Tuesday. Great fun to watch too, even if some of the announcers annoyingly cannot fathom that the Harvard junior would to finish this year, let alone the next. Likely as a captain and Hobey favorite.
                  I get it and yeah, it is a great experience for him. ESPN announcer John Bucigrass stated on last night's Minnesota-OSU broadcast that Ryan would be leaving Harvard after the Olympics to join the Bruins. Where do these guys get this stuff and why aren't they called on it? He has no idea what Ryan is going to do yet he goes on national TV to tell everyone that Ryan is headed to the Bruins after the Olympics. This type of irresponsible reporting needs to be stopped and Bucigrass needs to be removed and reprimanded. We're dealing with people's lives here and he should be careful about what he reports.

Comment

Agree with much that has been written here ... Would just add/observe that Harvard's best season in the last 3 was the one they DIDN'T have someone on their way to winning a Hobey (or at least putting up Hobey-like stats). Also, admittedly small sample size, but 3-1 (incl. 2 wins against top 20 teams) while scoring 17 goals (4.25 gpg) without one of those players. I'm not saying Ryan Donato is not a great player, but it is a team game and sometimes great players don't make the team better. Sometimes that is because great players try to do too much and don't trust their teammates to do their jobs (and get better in the process) - and aren't reigned in (or are even encouraged) by their coaches. Everyone (see preseason rankings, etc.) thought this team was going to be formidable - not a crazy idea knowing Donato, Fox, and Madsen returning, and some great young players coming in. If nothing else, should make us ponder what really are the ingredients for a great college hockey team.

Comment

• Originally posted by crimsoncat View Post
                      Agree with much that has been written here ... Would just add/observe that Harvard's best season in the last 3 was the one they DIDN'T have someone on their way to winning a Hobey (or at least putting up Hobey-like stats). Also, admittedly small sample size, but 3-1 (incl. 2 wins against top 20 teams) while scoring 17 goals (4.25 gpg) without one of those players. I'm not saying Ryan Donato is not a great player, but it is a team game and sometimes great players don't make the team better. Sometimes that is because great players try to do too much and don't trust their teammates to do their jobs (and get better in the process) - and aren't reigned in (or are even encouraged) by their coaches. Everyone (see preseason rankings, etc.) thought this team was going to be formidable - not a crazy idea knowing Donato, Fox, and Madsen returning, and some great young players coming in. If nothing else, should make us ponder what really are the ingredients for a great college hockey team.
                      Great post. Completely agree! When Donato back for playoffs in 3 weeks, let’s hope the team does not fall into old habits.

Comment

According to this Monte Carlo simulation, we have an 11% chance of making it to the NCAA tournament: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...lityMatrix.php

I have to think we have a better chance of winning the ECAC and moving on...

Comment

It seems to me the danger of over dependence on a single talent is particularly acute in college hockey when roughly 25% of the team departs each year. I suppose in the NHL it may be possible over the long term to build a team around one player or a line of three with complementary skills. The coaching challenge is the psychology of team building as much as skill building and tactics.

Incidentally, seems the last few games show Harvard to be peaking for a long playoff run. This is thanks in large part to the senior class as a group for their spirited leadership. We will miss each (Aiken, Begoon, Ellis, Horton, Lloyd, Madsen, Sherman) quite a bit. Go Crimson!

Starting to handicap next year’s captain/s. I suspect Ryan D., and Lewis Z-G are odds on favorites. Of course all have potential.

Fingers crossed as we come up against Brown and Yale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crimsoncat View Post
                            Well said. Team chemistry is fragile and one that takes work year over year. Teddy admitted as much earlier in the year when he said the team was still trying to find its identity. Ironically, Ryan leaving for South Korea probably got them focused in a way that has allowed them to come together for some big wins. That said, not many coaches would turn down the chance to coach blue chip prospects especially those who are NHL bound. Look at BU last year with all those frosh who eventually bolted. Turnover in college hockey is expected every year ... it's when your underclassmen join the seniors in leaving that it really hurts the program. Credit to Harvard for mostly not falling into that trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                              According to this Monte Carlo simulation, we have an 11% chance of making it to the NCAA tournament: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...lityMatrix.php

I have to think we have a better chance of winning the ECAC and moving on...
                              That's pretty much how we are going to get in. We don't play any top 20 teams from here on in unless we meet Clarkson or Cornell at Lake Placid. So our chances pretty much rest on winning the tournament.

Comment

Well said. Team chemistry is fragile and one that takes work year over year. Teddy admitted as much earlier in the year when he said the team was still trying to find its identity. Ironically, Ryan leaving for South Korea probably got them focused in a way that has allowed them to come together for some big wins. That said, not many coaches would turn down the chance to coach blue chip prospects especially those who are NHL bound. Look at BU last year with all those frosh who eventually bolted. Turnover in college hockey is expected every year ... it's when your underclassmen join the seniors in leaving that it really hurts the program. Credit to Harvard for mostly not falling into that trap.
                                Well put. Helps also that Harvard recruits true student-athletes rather than the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X