Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    I'd say Harvard was lucky to escape with a tie with the help of the 4 striped Donato fans skating on the ice. To say nothing else of the game, the fact that a Harvard player was allowed to throw a blatant cross check and then the ref let the play go for a full 3 seconds when there was no way for him possibly to have had sight of the puck on the last goal was an abomination. It couldn't have been clearer that the ref didn't know where the puck was when it was finally knocked out from under Kielly and he was looking the opposite way.

Clarkson didn't play it's strongest game and something clearly appeared to be off in Kielly's game. Teddy had a good game plan and quite frankly exposed a couple of my concerns with the team, mainly the ability of the defense to handle a strong forecheck below the 1st pair of defensemen and their ability to handle teams with speedy players. Those are both things they'll face against the top NCHC teams. I do think that one of the reasons Madsen struggled though is that Donato was throwing the kitchen sink at the Clarkson defense all night and left a good number of grade A chances that Madsen had to stop.
    I don't know about the grade As, the Egle goal was short side stick side with a bad angle, he had nowhere else to go and a 6'7 goalie has to save that, the 4th goal where Jacome beat him far side was a well placed shot but Madsen was way off his angle, I don't need to mention the 5th goal as Madsen knows he has to save that.

Comment

Harvard picks up its first 2021 recruit in Jack Bar. He's a 6'2'' 175lb 2002 out of Ontario who is highly recruited and expected to go in the Top 10 in the OHL Draft. Let's hope he chooses the college route. He plays currently at St. Andrew's college.

Comment

Up 5-3 with 12 minutes left, I was starting the think this was the best we've played all season. Six minutes later, after a couple of soft goals, it was a different story - I'm just glad we fought back and got at least a tie out of that battle royale. It was nice to see production across the top three lines, and the power play looked better than recent games. If Clarkson is really a #2 team in the country (and they are a very good team), then I'd say that anything can happen in March/April - there doesn't seem to be a clearly dominant team out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
          Up 5-3 with 12 minutes left, I was starting the think this was the best we've played all season. Six minutes later, after a couple of soft goals, it was a different story - I'm just glad we fought back and got at least a tie out of that battle royale. It was nice to see production across the top three lines, and the power play looked better than recent games. If Clarkson is really a #2 team in the country (and they are a very good team), then I'd say that anything can happen in March/April - there doesn't seem to be a clearly dominant team out there.
          Agree. This game was there for us to win. If Madsen and the D had been on their game, it's a W. That tells me that come March, we should be right there in the thick of it. Not saying we'll win the ECACs or make the NCAAs but we should be in the mix. Let's hope we continue the march through North Country tonight with a win against SLU. Expecting Lackey to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Not saying we'll win the ECACs or make the NCAAs but we should be in the mix.
            Along with the other 11 ECAC teams...

As of right now, Clarkson and Cornell appear to be locks for the NCAA's. Harvard and the rest of the ECAC have but one option to move beyond Lake Placid.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
            Northeast Regional:
            West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              Along with the other 11 ECAC teams...

As of right now, Clarkson and Cornell appear to be locks for the NCAA's. Harvard and the rest of the ECAC have but one option to move beyond Lake Placid.
              Not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                Agree. This game was there for us to win. If Madsen and the D had been on their game, it's a W. That tells me that come March, we should be right there in the thick of it. Not saying we'll win the ECACs or make the NCAAs but we should be in the mix. Let's hope we continue the march through North Country tonight with a win against SLU. Expecting Lackey to start.
                It's hard to describe just how bad Madsen was in this game. It really is.

Harvard's up 5-3 with all of the momentum, and a 6'4'' goalie gets beat high on the short side. I mean, I've never seen such a big goalie make himself so small. Madsen's positioning is truly horrendous - He goes down way too often to give up the high stuff and he also plays WAY too deep in the cage, giving the opponent much too much net to shoot at. Clarkson's 5th goal to tie the game was a shot from outside the blue line that beat Madsen 5 hole. At that point, Donato had to yank him. It was an embarassment.

Listen, Madsen has had a great career at Harvard, but Harvard would arguably have 3 more wins if he had played better this season. Last night against Clarkson, early on against Yale, and then against BC. Those wins probably put Harvard in the 10-12 range overall in the rankings as well.

Baughmann was really, really bad last night. Constantly getting beat, fell down on Clarkson's 6th goal, just very tentative on his skates.

In retrospect, with 12 mins to go in the 3rd, it's amazing how Harvard gave this game away. But then again, how Clarkson gives up the game with less than a minute ago?

It's Lackey's net right now. And I think Olsen goes in for Baughmann as soon as he is ready, though that option is not much better. Hoping Bowlby is back soon as that will provide a bit more speed and bite to Harvard's offense.

On the brighter side, the offensive zone forecheck and passing was as good as it has been all year for Harvard. That is how Harvard has to play (to win and not to lose) with a very aggressive forecheck. Loved seeing that and want to see more of it against SLU this evening.

Speaking of which, is there a SLU video feed?
                Last edited by bothman; 01-20-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  In retrospect, with 12 mins to go in the 3rd, it's amazing how Harvard gave this game away. But then again, how Clarkson gives up the game with less than a minute ago?

Speaking of which, is there a SLU video feed?
                  Clarkson didn't "give up the game" with less than a minute to go. The ref didn't blow a frozen puck dead and missed a blatant cross check. The refs gave up the game, but as one of my fellow tech fans said, we probably deserved to win and deserved to lose, so a tie was a fitting end.

And yes, there is a decent to good SLU video feed. Go to the SLU Athletics website.
                  Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                  10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                  5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                  21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                  ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                  ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                  12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                  National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Not true.
                    How so? Harvard is 22nd in the Pairwise. It will be a longshot for them to get into the top 12-14 that it's going to take for an at-large bid. So the only option is to win the ECAC tourney and take the auto-bid. All 12 ECAC teams have that option available. Yes... even St. Lawrence still has a chance to be national champion.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

How so? Harvard is 22nd in the Pairwise. It will be a longshot for them to get into the top 12-14 that it's going to take for an at-large bid. So the only option is to win the ECAC tourney and take the auto-bid. All 12 ECAC teams have that option available. Yes... even St. Lawrence still has a chance to be national champion.
                      Harvard has home games against Clarkson and Cornell and has 2 games against Hockey East via the Beanpot.

Comment

Harvard has home games against Clarkson and Cornell and has 2 games against Hockey East via the Beanpot.
                        I'm not a numbers guy and don't play with the PWR predictors, but a single loss among those could be catastrophic to an at-large. Not to mention what losses to equal or inferior opponents can do. Now, if Harvard can run the table then they can probably make it but I don't see that happening.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

I'm not a numbers guy and don't play with the PWR predictors, but a single loss among those could be catastrophic to an at-large. Not to mention what losses to equal or inferior opponents can do. Now, if Harvard can run the table then they can probably make it but I don't see that happening.
                          I think we need to win against Cornell and Colgate next weekend to get closer to being in the at large mix. Then need to win the Bean pot, but without Donato next month, that will be a longer shot for all the planets to align, unfortunately.

Our best shot is the ECAC. The way I see it, it will come down to Cornell, Clarkson, Harvard, and either Union, Colgate or Quinnipiac in the fourth spot.

Realistically, I'm thinking the true odds of making it to the regional are around 20-30%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                            I think we need to win against Cornell and Colgate next weekend to get closer to being in the at large mix. Then need to win the Bean pot, but without Donato next month, that will be a longer shot for all the planets to align, unfortunately.

Our best shot is the ECAC. The way I see it, it will come down to Cornell, Clarkson, Harvard, and either Union, Colgate or Quinnipiac in the fourth spot.

Realistically, I'm thinking the true odds of making it to the regional are around 20-30%.
                            Donato will play against BU in the Beanpot in Round 1

Comment

Last I checked, wins against those teams are catastrophically good, while losses against bad teams are catastrophicsally bad.

Harvard likely has the best chance to move up of anyone in the ECAC.

Comment

Another night, another blown two goal lead. Defense and goaltending were supposed to be the strength of this team but not this weekend. The SLU shortie that got them back in the game was gift wrapped by Pelton Byce. You've got to be more aware of the situation and not put yourself in an awkward place trying to keep the puck in the zone. Inexcusable.

We should count our blessings and hope to play much better next weekend. Friday night should be a barn burner.

Comment

Working...
                                X