Northern Michigan University Hockey 2017-18: The Grant Potulny Era begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Michigan University Hockey 2017-18: The Grant Potulny Era begins

If Grant gets us to the second round of the WCHA playoffs, I'll be satisfied.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: Northern Michigan University Hockey 2017-18: The Grant Potulny Era begins

I'd be happy with (20) wins and a Top 25 RPI ranking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just booked my flight to Vegas. Hoping the 2,000 miles and money are worth it. I'm ready for a great season!

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
        I'd be happy with (20) wins and a Top 25 RPI ranking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Baby steps.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Hope springs eternal....
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Hope springs eternal....
            It really does. I'm sure if Potulny gets us an NCAA bid, he'll be around for awhile.

Comment

NMU will more than likely have to win the WCHA Conference tournament this year in order to get an NCAA bid as the WCHA is now considered to be a "weak sister" D1 college hockey conference and teams usually don't get any "At Large" bids in the NCAA's.... MTU (23-15-7) was the only WCHA team to get into the NCAA's last year due to their automatic bid by winning the WCHA Conference tournament.... Minnesota State (22-13-4), Bemidji State (22-16-3) & Bowling Green (21-18-2) all won over 20 games but didn't get "At Large" bids to the NCAA's last year so you pretty much have to win the WCHA post-season tournament to get in unless a team has an unreal season winning 25 games and then getting upset in the WCHA tourney.... NMU could conceivably win 22 games this year and not get into the NCAA's going by what went down last year.... 2016-17 Final RPI Rankings had MTU #27, Minnesota State #28, Bemidji State #29 & Bowling Green #38....
              Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 09-15-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                NMU will more than likely have to win the WCHA Conference tournament this year in order to get an NCAA bid as the WCHA is now considered to be a "weak sister" D1 college hockey conference and teams usually don't get any "At Large" bids in the NCAA's.... MTU (23-15-7) was the only WCHA team to get into the NCAA's last year due to their automatic bid by winning the WCHA Conference tournament.... Minnesota State (22-13-4), Bemidji State (22-16-3) & Bowling Green (21-18-2) all won over 20 games but didn't get "At Large" bids to the NCAA's last year so you pretty much have to win the WCHA post-season tournament to get in unless a team has an unreal season winning 25 games and then getting upset in the WCHA tourney.... NMU could conceivably win 22 games this year and not get into the NCAA's going by what went down last year.... 2016-17 Final RPI Rankings had MTU #27, Minnesota State #28, Bemidji State #29 & Bowling Green #38....
                20 wins doesn't mean much...there were by my count 25 teams with 20 or more wins last year.

It isn't just the number of wins you get, it is who you get them against.

The WCHA as a whole went 17-48-5 in out of conference play. That is why there were no at large bids awarded.

Look at the 16 tournament teams by conference:
                Atlantic Hockey - 1
                Big Ten - 3
                Independent - 0
                ECAC - 3
                Hockey East - 4
                NCHC - 4
                WCHA - 1

Now look at out of conference records
                Atlantic Hockey - 18-41-12 (.338)
                Big Ten - 47-32-11 (.583)
                Independent - 8-19-3 (.317)
                ECAC - 20-52-12 (.491)
                Hockey East - 74-53-17 (.573)
                NCHC - 54-23-14 (.670)
                WCHA - 17-48-5 (.279)

If you want at large bids, win out of conference games.
                Last edited by KaMiGo; 09-15-2017, 03:31 PM. Reason: missed one

Comment

Anyone heard what might be happening with WCHAtv? Any changes?

Comment

The 1979-80 hockey team will be inducted into the NMU Sports Hall of Fame.

Comment

Has anyone heard how the new 2017-18 NMU Hockey Freshmen have looked in pre-season training camp????

2017-18 NMU Hockey Freshmen

Forward - Joseph Nardi (5'11" 175lbs) - Edmonton, AB

Forward - Mitchell Slattery (5'11" 175lbs) - Lino Lakes, MN

Forward - Caleb Schroer (5'9" 170lbs) - Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Forward - Keegan Ward (6'2" 200lbs) - Galesburg, MI

Defense - Adam Roeder (5'11" 185lbs) - Ballwin, MO

Defense - Robby Fosdick (6'0" 180lbs) - Brookfield, WI

Comment

NMU Hockey picked to finish 7th in 2017-18 WCHA Pre-Season Coaches & Media Polls????
                        Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 09-25-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Really?!? You're questioning a team that flirted with not making the WCHA playoffs getting a middle of the field assessment after losing four double digit point producers (one being a D man), and a whole new* coaching staff?

I'd say it's about right. Maybe a hair low, but I haven't done enough research on the other teams to rank-em.

I will guess that 3-7 will likely be separated by just a weekend-ish worth of points. Maybe an extra couple points between 3-4.

*almost.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Really?!? You're questioning a team that flirted with not making the WCHA playoffs getting a middle of the field assessment after losing four double digit point producers (one being a D man), and a whole new* coaching staff?

I'd say it's about right. Maybe a hair low, but I haven't done enough research on the other teams to rank-em.

I will guess that 3-7 will likely be separated by just a weekend-ish worth of points. Maybe an extra couple points between 3-4.

*almost.
                            This.

Comment

Psh... WE'RE GONNA WIN ALL THE GAMES

I firmly believe that Grant can right the ship, but it may take a season before he gains traction... As Captain America once said, "Patience"
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                              X