Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Preseason Thread 2017

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Very much agree. IMO, Dick Umile has more pride and class than to even think of holding UNH hostage to a personal magic number.
    Then what were the last two years plus this year?
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
      Honest question, do you think if it happens he comes back to get 600 or does he let Souza take over as planned?
      No way would he come back ... or more accurately, no way he would be allowed back. Technically, his "lifetime contract" will have finally expired, and (as we will touch on later below) he's already pushed this situation out well beyond the point of tolerance, and in doing so has worn out his welcome. It is far more likely someone at UNH will come up with some far-fetched scheme to re-classify one of the exhibition wins as a legitimate non-conference win (and that's not happening, obviously). To say there would have to be some serious face-saving gesture(s) involved should the Quest stall out short of the NRN would be an understatement of epic proportions ...

IMO, Dick Umile has more pride and class than to even think of holding UNH hostage to a personal magic number.
      Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      As they say ... pride goeth before the fall. Coach does have lots of pride - arguably, too much TBH. And the longer he's hung on over the last half-decade or so, as his formerly perennial national contending program has migrated slowly but steadily away from the heights where he earned the (somewhat patronizing) tag of the "classy runner up", he has squandered a ton of goodwill in the process, as long-time UNH fans endure the seemingly endless wait to see if his successor can "right the ship" that Coach has currently let run far adrift.

In doing all of this, Coach has ended up putting his UNH legacy in a really tough spot. Should he be remembered for the success he was in the midst of during the better part of his first 20 years on the job? Absolutely yes. But the longer he has hung on, the longer this stretch of abject mediocrity (at best) has extended, and each year takes us another step further removed from all the good (if not great) things he did accomplish in the '90's and '00's.

Coach can still pull this out of his hat in a positive way IF he finishes up this season with a winning record, and something to show for the postseason (trip to Boston and/or the NCAA's). The sooner he gets the 600 in the rear-view mirror, the better. But scraping to the 600 in the RS finale or in the MBPBEGAM *playoffs* is not going to do anything other than allow the AD's office to put together some cloying little ceremony in mid/late February. And my guess is that ceremony will involve a lot of polite applause, and a somewhat embarrassed coach.

Where I think Coach has really put his legacy on the line was his direct involvement in selecting Coach Souza as his successor. If Souza is not successful, then that's another (post-retirement) strike against Coach Umile. On the other hand, if Souza turns into the second coming of Shawn Walsh or Norm Bazin, then Coach Umile should be hailed as a visionary in seeing something that pretty much no one else has yet seen from him to date.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
        My comment was in response to that of another poster who specifically posed a situation where Umile ended the season with ~599 wins. Neither the original post nor my response had absolutely anything to do anybody's coaching record over the past two years plus. Let's try to keep things in context.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
          The media poll was just released on Twitter:

1. Boston University (13) 259
          2. Providence (5) 235
          3. Massachusetts-Lowell (5) 233
          4. Northeastern (2) 193
          5. Boston College 185
          6. Vermont 148
          7. Merrimack 109
          8. Connecticut 98
          9. New Hampshire 73
          10. Massachusetts 60
          11. Maine 57

HEWBA All-HEA Preseason Team:
          F Adam Gaudette (Jr., Northeastern)
          F Brian Pinho (Sr., Providence)
          F Dylan Sikura (Sr., Northeastern)
          D Garrett Cockerill (Sr., Northeastern)
          D Dante Fabbro (So., BU)
          D Casey Fitzgerald (Jr., BC)
          G Jake Oettinger (So., BU)
          Has the PreSeason All Star always had three defensemen?

Comment

Very much agree. IMO, Dick Umile has more pride and class than to even think of holding UNH hostage to a personal magic number.
            Pride, for sure. But, class? Really? I suggest arrogance and narcissism. How many Div 1 hockey programs can you name that agreed to a coach's demand to appoint his own successor as part of an agreement to step down?
            Last edited by Snively65; 09-25-2017, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Who else is shocked Maine was picked last, yeah, no one
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Here is the UCHO D1 Poll FWIW.
                http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

The old faves still get unwarranted votes - probably the result of too many ballots from too many who are only casually interested in the sport. UNH got 1 vote. Maine should have had at least that many.

Comment

That poll should read Denver followed by a massive gap and then start the poll again.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    That poll should read Denver followed by a massive gap and then start the poll again.
                    1. Denver
                    (2-12) Teams that have a chance to win if Denver is hit with multiple injuries
                    (13-20) Crazier things have happened
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Who else is shocked Maine was picked last, yeah, no one
                      Hey I thought Maine wouldn't finish last! 10th is not last

I actually think Maine has some good individual pieces, my pick was more a lack of faith in the staff and upperclassmen to hold their weight. It wouldn't completely shock me if they were 8/9 at season's end.
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        Hey I thought Maine wouldn't finish last! 10th is not last

I actually think Maine has some good individual pieces, my pick was more a lack of faith in the staff and upperclassmen to hold their weight. It wouldn't completely shock me if they were 8/9 at season's end.
                        One can hope but after watching this team for the last few years I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Pride, for sure. But, class? Really? I suggest arrogance and narcissism. How many Div 1 hockey programs can you name that agreed to a coach's demand to appoint his own successor as part of an agreement to step down?
                          Your "suggestions" are the correct diagnosis ...........

Comment

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...9/sep26mcp.php

Well the coaches have pretty mixed feelings. 5 teams receiving first place votes

1. Boston University (2) 90
                            2. UMass Lowell (5) 88
                            3. Providence (2) 83
                            4. Boston College (1) 75
                            5. Northeastern (1) 72
                            6. Vermont 54
                            7. UConn 39
                            8. New Hampshire 37
                            9. Merrimack 29
                            10.(tie)Maine 19
                            10.(tie)Massachusetts 19
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Tater would like a word with the coach who voted for BC!

Comment

Since this may be somewhere all Hockey East fans look, Mike McMahon tweeted the four teams each team plays as their "extra games" will remain the same next season (18-19). For those keeping track at home, that means the extra game in 18-19 will be:

BC - @UConn, @Maine, @Lowell, PC
                                BU - UConn, Maine, @PC, MC
                                UConn - BC, @BU, @UMA, @UVM
                                Maine - BC, @BU, UMA, @UNH
                                UMA - @PC, @MC, @Maine, UConn
                                Lowell - BC, UNH, UVM, @NU
                                MC - @BU, UMA, PC, @NU
                                UNH - NU, @Lowell, Maine, @Vermont
                                NU - @UNH, UVM, UML, MC
                                PC - @BC, BU, UMA, @MC
                                UVM - UNH, @Lowell, @ NU, UConn

The balance is weird for most teams because UVM and Maine travel guidelines [guessing]. All teams still have 11 home and 11 away, so to keep the rotations around UVM and Maine weekends the rest of the rotation gets a bit weird.
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X